My first build: 1912 Indian

GoldenMotor.com

Bugthunder

Nov 6, 2011
Florida
Thanks for the info JTS!
I ordered the Motobecane AV88 Rear Wheel Hub and a 59 tooth sprocket. I'll have to recalculate my jackshaft gears but I have leeway there. This hub has a 99mm drum; it's a little taller than the standard drum but the width is the same. More stopping power I guess but fewer options for sprockets

Bugthunder

Nov 6, 2011
Florida
I mounted a kill switch on the right side under the tank where it is not obvious but can be reached in a hurry. On the other side is the High/low beam switch for the headlight, also easily reached but mostly out of sight. I plan to run the wire through the frame later.
[/IMG]

Bugthunder

Nov 6, 2011
Florida
I fired it up and took it for its first test ride! The carburetor malfunctioned and the bike took off like a rocket! The kill switch came in handy; tricky business with only a front brake at this point. I put a new Mikuni carburetor on yesterday and it runs very well!

You can see the copper coil fuel line in the side view. I put sand in the line and twisted it around a spray paint can for the initial curves, then used smaller cans to finish the smaller curves. The coil serves to dampen vibration that could crack the copper line.

Bugthunder

Nov 6, 2011
Florida
I kept the electric start, but hid the start button in the tool kit box in front of the rear wheel. The box has a lock and there will be a secondary kill switch next to the start button so the bike can't be kick started by anyone without the keys.

Bugthunder

Nov 6, 2011
Florida
Thanks JTS!
I put my feet on the chain stays for a quick ride around the neighborhood. I'm fabbing up foot peg mounts today. I found some simple aluminum foot pegs that look a little like the old style foot pegs.

Yes I am considering a Messinger style seat, the one I put on is not so comfortable and I think the pan style will look much better.

JohnThomas Sorrels

Dec 28, 2011
Ramona/ San Diego
I think both you and your bum would appreciate a larger pan style seat. Not to mention they're so easy to make, it took all of 15 minutes to make my pan, I still have to cover it, but I don't think it will be too difficult.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Big smiles are in order here. I see yours in the photos. The bike is looking great and I bet is sounds good, too. Pretty cool to hear the motor fire up for the first time and to ride off into the sunset on a bike you made yourself. It doesn't get much better than that. Woohoo!
SB

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
OK... Now we need a video! I wanna here what that bad boy sounds like with the shorty pipe :) Well done! If you dont want to make your own seat just swapping out a diffrent vintage style without the big nose spring would probably make the boys happier...

Bugthunder

Nov 6, 2011
Florida
JT, here are the latest photos. I was inspired by your seat fabrication and built this one. It looks much better. I plan to follow your example covering the seat.

Bugthunder

Nov 6, 2011
Florida
Took it out on the road yesterday and checked counter steering, cornering at speed, checked how it handled with no hands (hands hovering over bars just in case) and checked front suspension over pot holes and speed bumps. It handled very nice! It seems the designers in the early 1900s knew a thing or two about frame geometry. I have to finish lights, horn, speedometer, and then it's ready for tear down and paint! After that I go for DOT inspection to license it.

JohnThomas Sorrels

Dec 28, 2011
Ramona/ San Diego
I just used vinyl, it's readily available at most places that stock upholstery materials and is a lot less expensive than leather. I decided to try vinyl first to see how it came out and maybe make another with leather later. The vinyl worked better than I expected and is easier to work with than the small pieces of leather I was practicing on.