My clutch won't engage.

GoldenMotor.com

JCSYNN13

Sep 14, 2017
I have an 80cc engine on my bike. Well about a week ago I was on a beautiful ride. I came up to a park that only had one path and got behind a maintenance golf cart. He was putting along pretty slow. So I cut through the grass and beat him around the corner. I rode out of the park and made it to the street when all of a sudden my clutch stop engaging. I couldn't do anything to get it to engage. A friend of mine looked at it and suggested I needed a small clutch rod. Could I possibly get somebody else's opinion? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
OK, you need to open both covers and roll the bike while watching the drive sprocket, the shaft it is on, and the clutch inner and outer, and the small bevel gear and shaft it sits on to see where the spinning stops

colonelkrs

Jan 10, 2013
Oakland CA
Sounds like a woodruff key. If the small gear that moves the piston spins freely then it's the key under that gear.

If the big gear doesn't move then it's probably the key on the motor chain sprocket. If so pay attention to the threads that the nut for the sprocket go on. They may be stripped and the shaft may need replacing.