My Chain came apart!!

GoldenMotor.com

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I was riding along an BLAMMMMO chain comes apart....thank goodness no damage. I just pushed the bike back while looking for parts.

Bummer....but I did find ALL the parts of the master link. I though for sure I wouldn't find the clip......

It did bend the main link. I straightened the link and put it back together. It appears the clip just came off. I know it was assembled correctly, but the clip itself does not seem like good quality spring steel.

Anyone had this happen? Cures?

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
I had the same thing happen to mine. I had taken mine apart numerous times to fix various things and had the all the spring sprung out of the clip. I put in a new master link and have had no more trouble. I spent more on shipping than the master link. I think I ordered 6 just in case..........(c)

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I've quit using master links a few years ago on everything I own. I just use a chain breaker and connect the links together. I've haven't had the chain fall apart since.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
I don't remember where I ordered it. I just did a search on the internet. Norman leaves the master links out to sometimes on his like Easyrider..

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Couldn't you pedal your bike home? I hate it when there a problem like that. On one of my posts I show how to get the clip on and off with out streching the spring clip out of shape. I think its at the start of tearing the engine down that I show how to do the master link. You might have even gotten a bad one. Hope you can get her fixed.
Norman

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I threw my master link away and just broke and reset the chain as if there were no master link. I don't like complicated things. I believe in the old saying KISS keep it simple stupid (me being stupid of course not you guys)

smokinbenrage

May 18, 2008
My chain came apart on my maiden voyage. I ended up going to a Polaris shop and buying a new clip... much better. It does seem that the chinese quality of these kits is not up to par with some of the other products that come out of China.

Thanks,

Ben