Motorized bicycles like aircraft?

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I am talking about the "check before each flight" thing.

I know I for one don't wear a helmet...Would I like being hurled headlong into a ditch because I didn't check the fenders/wheels/frame/ect. before each "flight"?

Most folks who build thier own aircraft do a general walk around before they get in, taxi off and fly. It's good practice and a way to get to know your vehicle intimately. If we did the same, we'd know at a glance if something was coming loose, leaking, or cracking.

Think about it, do it, it only takes 30 seconds.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I gotta get one of those jackshafts! But then I'll have to get another old Schwinn cruiser with 5 speeds to put it on! :D
Weren't we just talking about spending a lot of $$$ on another thread? rotfl

Also... I'm always checking the bike for loose nuts & bolts, & anything that isn't working perfect! (^)

:ride2:

Last edited:

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
You know it seems like I'm always finding things wrong with my airplane and they have to be fixed. So I just get on the bike and ride. I figure if the bike breaks I'll just call the wife to come get me and I'll fix it at the house. That strategy will probably bite me in the butt one of these days..................rotfl

daledoo

Jan 16, 2010
West Palm Beach
I agree. Check the main bolts first, front wheel, back wheel, chain tensioner for clear of spokes, engine bolts, chain, at least for a minimum. And always do a good weekend onceover for the next week comming up.

EnFlaMEd

Aug 25, 2009
South Australia
Wear a helmet FFS. I don't understand what it is with Americans wanting to end their lives early by negating to use safety devices that are right there for them. By this I mainly mean seat belts and helmets.

Where I live it is the law to wear a helmet and it is policed. There are also hefty fines for drivers and passengers who do not wear a seat belt.

Think about it, do it, it takes less than 30 seconds to put on a helmet or buckle up.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
o.o

Thank you for your concern... but be easy with your "advice" please... Various debates notwithstanding - wearing a helmet is a matter of personal choice (in this state anyway).

While suggesting a helmet is a good idea, telling someone to with abbreviated expletives then maligning a nationality could make some... displeased w/you ;)

EnFlaMEd

Aug 25, 2009
South Australia
Haha fair enough.

I just find it funny that people can be concerned with the safety aspects of their MBs yet fail to wear basic safety equipment that could have a major impact on how they fair in the event of an accident.

I don't mean to generalise American's either but when you see shows like "Cops" and those "wildest police chases" kind of shows it really does paint a negative picture (of American's attitudes to road safety).

Do most states over there enforce the wearing of seat belts?

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
You ofc realize that such shows hardly paint an accurate picture of the "average" American, that in fact they go out of their way to show only the worst possible scenarios, out of context, and even outright lie - all in the interest of ratings... right?

As for a "preflight" vs safety devices like a helmet - it's rationalized as a helmet helps in case of an accident, while makin' sure yer gear is up to par can help prevent an accident in the first place. *shrug* personal preference really and ofc both would naturally be best ;)

While seat belt laws are in fact mandatory in all states (to the best of my knowledge it's federal, I could be wrong) and enforcement is... enthusiastic, they've been workin' on (and succeeding in some states like Maine) laws that allow officers to pull someone over under the "suspicion" they may not be wearing a seat belt. In effect this gives the officers a completely free hand to pull anyone over at any time - despite the fact they've broken no law at all. ...and they've been doing just that with abandon.

So while safety devices in and of themselves are wonderful things - laws pertaining to their usage are... perhaps not so wonderful. Targeting atypical vehicles and "undesirables" without true "just cause" is commonplace and just the tip of the iceberg. Stuff like that you'll never see on 'Cops' lol

Last edited:

EnFlaMEd

Aug 25, 2009
South Australia
You ofc realize that such shows hardly paint an accurate picture of the "average" American, that in fact they go out of their way to show only the worst possible scenarios, out of context, and even outright lie - all in the interest of ratings... right?

As for a "preflight" vs safety devices like a helmet - it's rationalized as a helmet helps in case of an accident, while makin' sure yer gear is up to par can help prevent an accident in the first place. *shrug* personal preference really ;)

While seat belt laws are in fact mandatory in all states (to the best of my knowledge it's federal, I could be wrong) and enforcement is... enthusiastic, they've been workin' on (and succeeded in some states like Maine) laws that allow officers to pull someone over under the "suspicion" they may not be wearing a seat belt. In effect this gives the officers a completely free hand to pull anyone over at any time - despite the fact they've broken no law at all. ...and they've been doing just that with enthusiasm.

So while safety devices in and of themselves are wonderful things - laws pertaining to their usage are... perhaps not so wonderful. Targeting atypical vehicles and "undesirables" without true "just cause" is commonplace and just the tip of the iceberg.

I totally agree on the "pre-flight" check as its something I do everytime I ride, especially if I am travelling some distance for work. I also give the bike a quick look over whenever I am stopping anywhere. Just last week I arrived at my destination which was fortunately only about 10 minutes away and noticed smoke pouring from my engine. On closer inspection I noticed the fuel line was dripping raw fuel straight onto the cylinder head! I don't think a helmet would have helped if that fuel had caught. However if I had been more vigilant with my "pre-flight" I may have picked up on it before I left. No harm done in the end though.

My concern with the helmet issue is purely out of love for my fellow man as they can be such a life saving device. I think I would feel weird going for a ride and not wearing one. Almost naked.

With regard to your last comment about the policing I totally understand that. We have a similar situation with my state to do with vehicle safety standards and "hoon" laws. Basically the police over here can pull you over and make you take your vehicle for a rather costly road worthy inspection ($240) if they even suspect that your car is modified illegally. Also you can be done under the "hoon" laws (maximum penaltys can include your car/bike being crushed) if you are suspected of street racing, doing a burnout or even revving your engine or having the stereo up loud. They don't even need proof to fine, send you to court and impound/crush your car over this. It is BS!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Yarp - that's some of the "issues" that make me uncomfortable with our "nanny gov" attitude. While I'm not against laws pertaining to and requiring children to use safety equipment, I'm not so comfortable with adults having such strict oversight. While there's some debate on the subject of seat belts... helmets are really a personal safety device. Should you get in an accident odds are you'll only hurt your own dumb self. Sure, there's some bladebla about long term medical care costing taxpayers and whatnot - but honestly? I think it's 'bout as 'tarded as being able to sue 'cause yer coffee was too hot.

There's a line between personal responsibility and expecting everything to be regulated and enforced that's really been forgotten... not that revenue generation and control over the populace would have anything to do with it ofc :p

Gotta warrant the annual budget increase right? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Mr. Awake, you state that the scenes on Cops are possible the worst case scenarios....you MUST come to Ashtabula county some time....you will never watch the show the same way again. The stuff they show is completely normal activity around here.

Here's the best part...as of two days ago, the largest county in Ahia, no longer has a sheriff's dept....well, they do, but it's now down to one car 24 hours a day. Lawlessness is here now and real.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
BTW for the record, I do not always wear a helmet, I do always wear a seatbelt, and I support the right to choose., but if you bust your ya ya's, don't come cryin' to me!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Mr. Awake, you state that the scenes on Cops are possible the worst case scenarios....you MUST come to Ashtabula county some time....you will never watch the show the same way again. The stuff they show is completely normal activity around here.

Here's the best part...as of two days ago, the largest county in Ahia, no longer has a sheriff's dept....well, they do, but it's now down to one car 24 hours a day. Lawlessness is here now and real.
umm... wouldn't that just make Ashtabula county a "worst case scenario"? :p

While I won't dispute the truism that some places are fit for no man or beast (like my ol' stompin' ground Philly as one) I really gotta say that given all the places I've lived and even jus' passed through (ie, every state save three... four ifn ya count those pesky islands), they really are the exception and not the rule.

While I didn't wish to paint a "sunshine & daisies" - I did wanna point out to the noble Australian that a television show may not depict the most *cough* "accurate" information lol, a 'Cops' episode shot 'round these parts for example would be... well... about as dull as livin' here :D

Last edited:

wildemere

Feb 12, 2008
Newcastle
Back on topic...

The Pre Ride Check I do.

1 Mounting bolts, visual check
2 Chain tension, both sides
3 Brakes & Clutch operation
4 Fuel level
5 Tyre pressure and condition

After repairs or about monthly I'll check and service more stuff like wheel bearings, spokes, steering, all bolt tensions, cable adjustments, brake pads and inspect the frame for cracks.

Oh yeah and put on helmet and gloves

Last edited:

EnFlaMEd

Aug 25, 2009
South Australia
Ill make sure I also check my fuel line more closely now after what happened to me. It was the standard line that comes with the kit though and its probably done well to last 1600kms! Replaced with automotive fuel line now.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Preflight checks are basically common sense....I do it as a routine now....and yep I've caught some stuff needing adjustments or repair....not often but a few....now wearing a seat belt in my car is the law....and I sure as heck DO NOT need a $132 ticket....but let me tell y'all something....I was broad sided once back in high school by a driver running a red light....had I been wearing a seat belt....I'd not be making this post.....you couldn't see the drivers seat at all....it was CRUSHED ! ...where as I realize this is not the norm it does cause one to stop and think.....

Salty.shft.