Motorized Bicycles in the News

GoldenMotor.com

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Re: MB in the News

Be careful not to buy 12 "specialized chargers" off ebay right now,or watch out for Black-Hawks. rotfl!

But "Embedded Batteries"? how you supposed to change them out when they kick? Hack the frame up?

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA

Two questions came to mind from reading the article about the fatality.
Who failed to give right of way?
How many bicycle/auto related fatalities do they have each year?
If there were more than one death of a motorized rider, I'd have thought they'd be sure to have that in the headlines. I'm sure the caggers pick off a few riders now and then.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada

it seems lately its a game with car thieves in winnipeg,a couple cyclists were ran over some time ago.there must be a daily incident in every city,wonder how many are motorized bicycles?
i have been lucky so far,but small town and keeping a low profile helps.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Jeeze, some people's kids... It's pretty bad if we have to start treating a sale like a Colombian deal :(

If someone wants to test drive I follow them on another bike, to make sure they're starting/stopping safely(some ppl have no clue), and so they don't get any ideas about bolting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That is a great idea Killer. Never thought about ridding along as a safety thing.

Would hate to get or help some one get hurt.

For the ride off thing, I was thinking hold on to their driver's licence. But a ride along is 2 birds with one stone.

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
buba here

i think the deer thing is a territorial thing
i have seen many vids of deer accidents and do believe they are attacking the moving engined vehicle
whatya think????

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Makes sense Buba. Just saw a vid on TV of an African critter (dunno what it is called. about deer sized and has 2 horns) T-bone a bicyclist. Just ran up from the guys "4 o'clock", jump and just kicked the stuff out of the poor guys head.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Be careful not to buy 12 "specialized chargers" off ebay right now,or watch out for Black-Hawks. rotfl!

But "Embedded Batteries"? how you supposed to change them out when they kick? Hack the frame up?
Looks like the down tube is actually a casing for the battery with a removeable cover. I would upgrade the batteries for more power anyway.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
This is it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2oymHHyV1M
He's ok, from what I heard on Youtube. I wonder why it didn't just go around. Must be like American deer.

Makes sense Buba. Just saw a vid on TV of an African critter (dunno what it is called. about deer sized and has 2 horns) T-bone a bicyclist. Just ran up from the guys "4 o'clock", jump and just kicked the stuff out of the poor guys head.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That is it Happy!
Sure does look like an attack and not an "opps" on the part of what ever that thing is.

Should post that in the "How often do you wear your helmet" thread.
LOL, "Ya never know when you could get in a collision"

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Better to make them look it over and pay up front, with a buy-back today guarantee if you want (barring any damages). If you ride along with them, and they want to steal it, they might lead you to someone who jacks the bike you're on, too.

Bikes are a high target for thieves, because they fear little prosecution if caught, and much sympathy from judges or juries if they are injured by a property owner over "just a bicycle".

PS, don't ever take a drivers license as any collateral or security. Con men won't have any problem leaving you a fake and taking your car or something.

That is a great idea Killer. Never thought about ridding along as a safety thing.

Would hate to get or help some one get hurt.

For the ride off thing, I was thinking hold on to their driver's licence. But a ride along is 2 birds with one stone.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Now, we need to design a solar dock an' lock station, come up with around $100K and start selling the concept to large cities!

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
You might do better as some kind of vendor doing business with a large employer, renting/selling bikes to them as part of some commuting initiative. If you can get some kind of tax break for the company or tax incentive for the employees, all the better.