Motorized Bicycles in the News

GoldenMotor.com

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Re: MB in the News

re: Cynical Mass.

Not all Critical Mass events or groups are outlaws and anarchists blocking traffic and giving the Hawaiian Good Luck Sign to cops and everyone in a car.

CTripps,
I'm in Cresent beach and noticed the same thing. The attitude is I can't drive legally but here is a way for me to beat the system then the system beats those of us who are innocent.

As soon as I heared of the Critical Mass rides I pictured the participants. Much like the thugs who took part in the Stanley Cup riots. As you said we are now brushed with the same brush as they are. If your on a bike your one of THEM and therefore a cheap target.

If I got a bunch of lip from the dispatcher I would have asked to speak to the owner or manager and then told them it was that or I would have been there personally to speak to them and would mention the dispatcher often in the conversation.
A call to the cops and I.C.B.C. would get thier attention as well because we know how much I.C.B.C. likes paying out for claims.

Oh and I'm laughing at your term m@ssholes. When I lived in New Hampshire that is what we called any one from Massachuetts. Of course they would yell Cow Hampshire back in reference to our country setting and the fact that at one time New Hampshire was a large dairy producer.

Steve.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.

re: Cynical Mass.

Not all Critical Mass events or groups are outlaws and anarchists blocking traffic and giving the Hawaiian Good Luck Sign to cops and everyone in a car.
In an earlier post I admitted it sounded like a good idea initially. Meet up in a large area, take a tour through an area using bike lanes and so on. I'm thinking that it (the local version) has been taken over by the masses that tie up traffic and behave like idiots simply for the sake of doing so. Unfotunately that now seems to be the planned outcome of the event.

My main objection is the impression they give the drivers in the city of cyclists. Most of us are just looking to get there from here and back again, and have to deal with the fall-out from the 'events'.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.

That's a thought... I might try starting a local meetup group to start with. Right now I'm too tired to think about it.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

Are there ANY positive news stories about motor bicycles? It seems like the MSM is always looking to mock us and in a rush to print any story of a rider committing traffic offenses or dying in a wreck.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

Re Derringer. Yeah, that looks great. $3000 is awful, but for someone with money to burn and who doesn't want to wrench, that fits the bill. I bet it doesn't have rubber rag joints! (probably has the aluminum adapter on the coaster brake, someone here was making them recently for Shimano hubs!)

I bet you could drive that to work every day though seriously. Looks like it is full of good parts and motor.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.

That's a thought... I might try starting a local meetup group to start with. Right now I'm too tired to think about it.
Follow up: I was nearly finished the process of creating a group on Meetup.com, "VanBC MAB Riders", and it turns out they expect to be paid for hosting a forum. Imagine that. Granted, the amount's not much ($19/monthly, $15/monthly-min 3 months up front, and $12/month-min 6 months up front).
At this point, bouncing between lay-off and call-backs, it's not an expense I'm willing to volunteer for (and I think they can get by without my credit card info too).