Motorized Bicycle Take a Tip...Leave a Tip

GoldenMotor.com

Robbie

May 21, 2015
Calgary canada
Tip for sbp expansion chamber! If u can't weld a cheep & good fix for the copper & sillacon tubing that melts and falls apart is use 1 inch hydraulic hose $3 dollars a foot and it's hi temp & flame resistant & its really rigid but flexible just barely! Also put a self tapping screw in each joint then put hose clamps over them. Will never fall apart again!

Attachments

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Another thing you can do if welding isn't an option is get some old handlebars and cut out the bends and straight sections then you can braze the sections together with a mapp torch. If the typical 7/8" bars are too small, you can usually get some used Harley bars that are 1" diameter off eBay for fairly cheap, there's a seller named dead parts on ebay that usually has used or bent bars that can be bought to harvest the bends and straight sections to braze to your pipe for a more permanent install. The hydraulic hose works because it has a steel braided core which will make it last considerably longer but it will eventually burn thru if used really close to the exhaust port, but there's also a flexible steel conduit that can be brazed to add header length and it also comes in 1" so it'll work with most pipes. Having a flexible section in the system will also prevent cracking or other premature damage.

Robbie

May 21, 2015
Calgary canada
A good tip for brazing is after your done put in the barbaque for 3-5 hours to cure your parts.
Also the hydraulic hose is working great! it smoked when I stopped for the first 2 hours of running. Now i have 22 hours on since then and is holding up real good much better than the sillacon tubing that comes with the kit. It lasted not even an hour!

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
had occasion to change a tire yesterday on a bike with solid inner tubes

they go on fairly easily with a bit of soapy water and run very well if one has an exact match to tire size, but are real hard to take off - I put a couple tire spoons in to lift the bead and then just cut the old tire off with a pair of dykes - made it easy

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
I little tip I picked up years ago was to save the filings, and bits of metal kicked out when filing or drilling any type of metal. You can also cut up some steel wool with scissors into little small bits. When I mix up my JB Weld, I add some of this mix into it to strengthen the mix. About one third to one half of the total volume. It makes for a very solid repair, that can still be smoothed, drilled, or even drill and tap it. I've only ever used it with JB, but I imagine that it'll probably work with any epoxy compound.
Nice.. I'm gonna use that, thanks!! dance1

Whiteride

Aug 7, 2015
Calgary, AB
Yeah so far I've certainly pedaled it a lot further than I've ridden it... Lol I guess I should have said "Never attempt to ride a motorized bicycle further than you're prepared to pedal it back". So far? Engine mount studs failed, pedaled it home. Ran out of fuel, pedaled it home. Antique carbide bicycle lamp came loose and went into the front wheel, carried it back. Engine stalled and locked, pedaled it back. Engine stalled and locked, pedaled it back. And so it goes... (Sigh) It's a surprising amount of exercise for a motorized vehicle.

Robbie

May 21, 2015
Calgary canada
Oh! Man you have horrible luck! I go for 50-60 mile rides with no issues. But I've learned to loctite evrey nut and bolt! And bring spare tubes & gas mix. Once you get all the bug worked out you should be fine. Goodluck!!!

Whiteride

Aug 7, 2015
Calgary, AB
Well all of last year after I first bought it, it ran like a champ... though most of my rides are of short duration, only a few miles or so. I think the previous owner was a more regular rider, but to be fair, it's going on five years on this bike and not like these little engines are overly well made or reliable. Seems engines fail as often as any of the other components.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Just came aware of using JIS instead of Phillips head screw driver tips. Japanese industry standard screw driver. Phillips and Reed Point mash JIS heads.

Wiki of screw driver tips

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives

See part way down page for diagrams with angles show on screw driver tip.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/australia-new-zealand/248338-where-can-i-buy-j-i-s-screwdrivers-3.html

19 degrees on the Phillips in addition to the 26.5 degrees angle, that is a difference that mashes up the JIS head screw. Easy outs, Super outs, Screw extractor fun time begins!

MT

Last edited:

johnnywheels

Nov 19, 2015
Nevada
Oh! Man you have horrible luck! I go for 50-60 mile rides with no issues. But I've learned to loctite evrey nut and bolt! And bring spare tubes & gas mix. Once you get all the bug worked out you should be fine. Goodluck!!!airwheel q5 unicycle
Spare tubes are definitely a necessity on long rides, never know what you're going to come across! I have a backpack with anything I could need each time I ride...especially with Summer around the corner, you don't want to be stranded in the heat!

Last edited:

bcraig1688

Mar 6, 2016
Baltimore
Hello all:
I have a E-Z ROLL REGAL Trike I'd like to install an optional gas motor to it.
I'll probably play with it,but I want it for a friend of mine,she will not do anything on two wheels,and she's getting to be an older broad,this will get her back an fourth to the grocery store and maybe out of taking the soul train to work.
Any advice is good advice to me,thanks Barry.crt.

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Hey Barry. Check out cheez fickenworth on Facebook, and I believe he has his own webpage now. Anyway, he sells the PK80 engines, which are a good combination of inexpensive and reliable.

Make sure if you're building it for her to ride on the roadways that you check the local laws on motorized bikes. Does it count as a motorized bike with 3 wheels? Do you need lights and mirrors? Is there a top speed limit? All these are things I'd worry about if I were to build one for someone else.

Also, a trike is somewhat heavy. Is she too old to pedal start the engine? If so, consider a pull start and centrifugal clutch (an extra $65 total for those items).

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
My Tip? Never attempt to ride a Motorized Bicycle further than you are prepared to push it back.
Or just keep a $20 somewhere in the bike, so you could always offer some guy with a pickup to give you a ride back... It worked for me.. I bought him $10 worth of gas for a 3 mile ride.. Or get triple A.. for 50 you get 5 free miles, and for 90 you get 100 free miles of towing.. not bad huh...

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
The road side service you may be OK, but for a forest service fire road many tow service plans will not go but 200 feet off the paved road. FYI, if you off-road!

Some fire roads in the parks are not passable with out good ground clearance, but others are gravel or hard packed and smooth, but rules are across the board and so I found out.

MT

Last edited:

hazzardous1

Mar 16, 2016
illinois
great tips as always guys now im having an issue with a sticky clutch arm or possibly the spring that holds the disk in place maybe not. any ideas the bike is a huffy cranbrook beach cruiser and a black stallion 48cc motor will set up a picture AS SOON AS THE PHONE CHARGES