Motorized Bicycle Take a Tip...Leave a Tip

GoldenMotor.com

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
fighting rust ideas

I tried bees wax instead of grease on my handle bars and chain to see how it would work. I put bees wax I bought from family dollar in an old square plastic container , let it set in the sun along with my bike , I smoothed some on with an paint brush . On my bike all over , it sets up in the shade and last a long time compared to grease . It still feels gunky on you hands if you touch it after it sets in the sun a while though

oldsurfer

May 21, 2010
thousand oaks,,,ca
the most solid tip i have seen is to replace the spark pug wire with one from pep boys...what size do i ask for...and do you just pull on the exsisting plug wire to get it out of the cdi? and just shove the new one into the cdi?

JTinFL

Feb 4, 2010
Port Charlotte,Florida
the most solid tip i have seen is to replace the spark pug wire with one from pep boys...what size do i ask for...and do you just pull on the exsisting plug wire to get it out of the cdi? and just shove the new one into the cdi?
The wire unscrews counter-clockwise from the CDI.Then push and turn clockwise to put back in.If you are using a computer type speedometer the wire you use could mess with it.I think the size is 7mm in diameter.I had problems with interferance on speedo because of plug wire.I changed all mine to these.

Sick Bike Parts

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
frame repair and quick fix

I swear by this stuff > Marine Tex <> this stuff is so stong that people have used it to repair cracked blocks in automobiles . I used it to patch an hole in my canoe and when i hit an rock the marine tex was stronger material than my canoe , i patched bigger and bigger untill the front of my canoe could be used on the television program whale wars to ram ya with lol I buy it at the local marina

Attachments

Flounder

May 26, 2010
Jacksonville Beach
Front engine mount. I just finished my sons bike build. Its a cruiser with an aluminum frame..
I didnt want to crush it with the bolt through the frame mount... Here's my tip.. I drilled the hole to fit
a bolt sleeve to go through the frame.. Then ran my bolt inside it.. The sleeve needs to be cut the width
of the frame... So when I mounted the motor all the torque was on the sleeve and not the frame.

Helmutt Cycles

Nov 27, 2009
PHX. AZ
You know most of us do things eventually to modify the bikes for the better or worse. It would be a nice gesture if we stick them out there for others to see.

Take this one for what it is worth.

The clutch lever in my kit was trash from the first. I never could make it work worth a darn, so I replaced it with a brake lever I had laying about. Here is the trick. I cut a piece of old inner tube to lock the handle up so I could roll the bike in and out. I leave it on the grip so I can use it to hold the clutch in if I need to adjust the bike.

I also hated the throttle that came with the bike. I replace it with a shifter from a mountain bike. I can lock the throttle in any position while I work on things. I don't think either of those is earth shattering, but they seem to work better for me. Probably won't help anyone else.

So leave me your tip I can use all the help I can get...
I Liked those.. My 4stroke has been flooding at times when I turn it off.bad float seat maybe, and I could've just could've had a slice of inner tube so I could Pull the rope with the throdle wide open to get her started..
Hmm? Lets see what I can share?? OK Here Goes.. lets say Ya needed to tap a thread Into the thin steel that many china bicycles are made of.. But if you take a drive punch and dent it in a great deal then drill with your letter bit made for what ever size thread you are using, the metal once tapped, and while screwing the bolt in,, will pull back up titening as it draws back,and will be a secure fastener... Jeeesh this isn't so earth shaking either But it may help someone along the line

Last edited:

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
quick one for gasket cutting: use a standard issue pair of hole-punchers for those screw holes.
WOW! and those were like the most pain in the @$$ part too. I feel like an idiot trying to cut a hexagon-shaped hole the exact size of an M6, especially since I had one of those sitting on the bench the whole time.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
here's another one for putting holes in gaskets;

find a bolt a little larger than the hole you need.

put gasket on hard surface, like a smooth concrete floor or the flat part of your vice.

center the bolt over the spot you need the hole.

whack the bolt with a hammer.

if you look at most bolts, at the end of the threads it's usually indented a bit, so it'll cut right through the gasket and leave a perfect hole.

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
An noob tip

My tip is if you have never put on an motor on an bicycle. To learn from the trials and tribulations that you people have went through , such as . cutting into an frame with an hack saw to clear room for the chain . And then the correct ways , of making holes in gaskets , and proper tools that I have thrown away , such as the wrench that comes with the futon , I will start saving everything I can . P.S I hope you people don’t mind me following your threads around like an lost puppy for the sole popose of guinea pigs . I salute the volunteers of M/Bs America . For you all are the next super Dave's

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
permatex ?

here's another one for putting holes in gaskets;

find a bolt a little larger than the hole you need.

put gasket on hard surface, like a smooth concrete floor or the flat part of your vice.

center the bolt over the spot you need the hole.

whack the bolt with a hammer.

if you look at most bolts, at the end of the threads it's usually indented a bit, so it'll cut right through the gasket and leave a perfect hole.
I was wondering on gaskets , would permatex be an good idea or bad idea ?

skuzzy

Jul 19, 2009
Australia
This thread is awesome, i have to come back to read it all.

Whilst I'm here I should mention my tip if it already has not been said before.

Metal lined exhaust gaskets will fix all leaking exhaust gasket problems.

They are strong and don't blow out. They can handle vibration.

I used the standard one, it lasted a very short periods of time, blew out quickly. Must be from weight distribution and vibration from the engine.

So i tried the copper gaskets, thick ones, well they just leaked oil. they look good but will leak. tried exhaust sealant with it as well but that eventually failed.

Then I tried home made cutouts from exhaust material from the autobarn, it didn't work and just blew out at high speed.

Then i found the steel lined gaskets you find from Rock solid or other local country engine enthusiast dealer. And it worked a treat. I am still using it. and it has been months now, so if anyone has an exhaust gasket issue and need to change it constantly, get a metal lined one.

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Making gaskets,
My wife pointed out that the craft store(larger chain stores) have a leather "dressing kit, comes with many different size hole cutters as well as decorative dies, which when tapped with a rawhide mallard, would easily go thru gasket material, plus you'll have 'em if one decided to do some leather work/seat cover etc. The kit I saw was $29.00. they have some bugger ones and some smaller too, some even with a burning tool. Just a thought.

Mac