Lurker's V-twin build

GoldenMotor.com

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
looks to me that the bike will go very fast [75-90 mph?]and little rake & trail might be ok on the dirt. 1920's bikes and cars were on dirt roads. they didn't know alot about r&t. but high speed with that r&t no dampner short bar's is asking for trouble. be carefull it could bite you pretty good. and you wont be the first. sorry to be the sky is falling guy but everything seems good then you hit the rite bump and oop's what happened? sorry had to say it dennis i didn't see MHF X-2

Last edited:

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
I kinda feel like a jerk for getting all this started, but if it prevents you from getting hurt or worse it's worth it.

MHF
I am glad this topic was readdressed. I had no idea how serious having proper rake and trail was. I just assumed that is a use a standard bicycle head tube angle I would be in the clear. I am in the process of trying to figure this mess out, I know how I will go about fixing the frame but the math killin' me.

Here a drawing of my new geometry over a photo of the bike.
the previous head tube angle was 72 degrees and the new head tube angle is 66 that is a 7 degree change. This should give me at least 2 inches of trail.

Take a look and let me know what you think. I really appreciate everyones help and concern with this issue.

Attachments

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Much better looking!!, even makes the frame look better between the head tube and tank, not so much dead space, don't get me wrong you do fine work! but the alteration would better suite the astetics (look) and function.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
See Lurker, this is what happens when you put the most powerful bad A$$ engine you can find in a motorbike, Lol. Nobody want to see you die so you can build again. :)

Bigboy

May 4, 2011
Placerville, California.
You always use the pivot point - HEAD TUBE - !
Always measure on the bike directly! Doing math on paper
can hide flaws in the end result! (two strings, tape and a ruler!)
The range which will work is between 2.5 and 4 inches trail.
Back in the "good old days" they may had less.....but people
got hurt.......!

Roland
I would go for 3 inches!

Roland

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Here is a handy tool I found. Rake and Trail Calculator
RB Racing Rake and Trail Calculator

Just punch in your numbers and it will tell it like it is. You can change your input numbers to see what it will take for you to get to your zone.

I just did my bike with it and came to 2.28 (I said to Roland earlier that I thought it was 1.48 but I did my math wrong) It's very close to 2.5" . I'm not going to sweat 1/4". I'm happy with the handling right now.

Bigboy

May 4, 2011
Placerville, California.
Here is a handy tool I found. Rake and Trail Calculator
RB Racing Rake and Trail Calculator

Just punch in your numbers and it will tell it like it is. You can change your input numbers to see what it will take for you to get to your zone.

I just did my bike with it and came to 2.28 (I said to Roland earlier that I thought it was 1.48 but I did my math wrong) It's very close to 2.5" . I'm not going to sweat 1/4". I'm happy with the handling right now.
Nice link...but it does NOT work with springer or any leading or trailing link
front fork!!!!!!

Roland

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
I have been very, very busy working on this front end, and I finally have it "done". I still need to do some more grinding and welding but the hard stuff is over.

Here are the final measurements.
head tube angle: 63 degrees
trail: 3.5 inches

I want to thank everyone who notice my mistakes and convinced me to change them, even through all my stubbornness.

Attachments

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Just my 2 cents, Dammnn!! that looks alot better and I like the fact that the springer doesn't follow the same angle as the forks, are you going to change that? and will its function be the same as before alterations

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Thanks trucked, but the fork was just mocked up not actually installed. I will have to make a new linkage but the fork it self will remain the same.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I just had Dan at Taylar bikes re work the head tube on my merkel and as you can see from the pic's at the thread "flying merkel anyone" I had the same delima to deal with, it isn't my thread but a pic of the bike is in there, I just had to share my Merkel fetish, will post some pic's when I resize them to fit the format
Still ...Good job!

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I have been very, very busy working on this front end, and I finally have it "done". I still need to do some more grinding and welding but the hard stuff is over.

Here are the final measurements.
head tube angle: 63 degrees
trail: 3.5 inches

I want to thank everyone who notice my mistakes and convinced me to change them, even through all my stubbornness.
63 Degrees? I think your tool is in the wrong direction. Most forks are between 17 Degrees and 25 Degrees. Not being SmartA$$ here, I really want to know what it is for comparison. Mine is 18 Degrees BTW.

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
I'm glad you decided to make the change. Now you'll be around to return the favor when we all make our own mistakes. I kinda like the different angle on the springer fork ! Gives it a 60s "Krazy Kustom" look.

Add some Krome and Ed Roth lettering to the tank and you're there !

Of course, then you'd have to wear a chromed Kaiser helmet with a spike on the top.......

MHF

Attachments

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Sorry I couldn't get back to ya sooner but the pitch degree went from 18 to 24 on the Merkel head tube re-set, that should give you a good reference point

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Lurker, there are some pic's of it on someone eles's thread title'd
" Flying Merkel anyone " but those pic's are before the head re-fit still good pic's though shows right & Left sides,
Caught a virus that wiped out my computer when I went to visit bikeberrymotors and had to buy a new computer,soft wear & other stuff so when I get it all up then I can start a new thread, I do have some that Dan the Man sent to me via e-mail I'll try to PM them

Last edited: