Look what I found! Look what I found!

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I got this from the place I live...I bought the place 5 years ago.

I cleaned out about 20 yards of garbage from the back garage when we bought it and I left a little pile of wood sitting there for the past 5 years.

Today, I was cleaning out a place to put a workbench my dad gave me, and I removed the wood to find this engine half buried in the mud and gravel.

It's a Sachs and it says 73cm...not sure what that means yet.

The fins are HUGE, but the cylinder itself isn't (The fins are 7 1/2" x 6" and the bolts for the jug are only 2 1/2" across.)

It has a four bolt pattern that would allow it to easily be mounted on a flat of some sort...rack mount?!?

The piston looked bad, but I sprayed it with some penetrating oil and the "rust" wiped right off. It is, however, frozen solid.....

Attachments

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
I've had great luck using brake fluid, or diesel fuel, or marvel mystery oil. Haven't use PB blaste yet.

If you can use a hot air gun on the cylinders and get it hot so it will expand it may open up the bore so the penetrant you're using can seep in deeper. It'll probably free up with a little persuasion from the wooden handle of a hammer once you get the head off. Then try rocking the crank left and right with a wrench.

I've freed up alot of motors that locked up from just setting that way.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Here's a couple of more...I took the head off and it looks like it hasn't been run!

The pics are out of focus, but give an idea. No carbon, the dark in the head is shading.

I figured it at roughly 98cc's- 50mm bore, guessing at the stroke.

Attachments

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Nice find Joe!! I did find a old maytag washer machine buried like three feet in the ground when I was planting a tree in my backyard. Have no ideal how it got there.

A motor is a little more exciting (^)

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
MAN! I am on a roll!

I got it freed up, and cleaned it up a little. There is a very fine rust or darkening in the cylinder, but I couldn't feel it just saw it.

I put the plug in it to turn it over to flush it out and make sure there is no crap in the bottom end, and it had loads of compression.

Oh yeah, you know where this is going... I said to myself "I wonder if it is possible to have a bright blue spark since the plug wire comes right out of the case?"

Yes, it did, and yes, it did!

Gas down the carb, two pulls and it fired right off!!!! LOUD!dance1

Now I have to figure out the threaded shaft part and see what I can hook up. It has about a half inch of thread, a keyway, AND a taper..bf.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Ahhh, excuse me, but I think that's my motor. I remember being in Ohio several years ago and I left that thing laying somewhere. Ah, could you pack it up and send it back to me? Thanks.

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
looks like a snowmobile engine, the old one's had big fins like that.
i would take it apart to clean it, sitting is the worst thing for these. the magneeto will proably need to be checked too.

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
oh wait, i didn't read the rest of this, never mind! congradulations on getting it going!! thats amazing.
2door, you've got to be kidding!

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Heh, heh, 2door, the shipping will be 200.00 U.S. to my paypal account.

I'll research it later today.

It would make a good rack mount to take to Bonneville.....or for a trike or tandem bike...or...or...I may sell it since I am broke as a joke!

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
So far all I know is that it is a Sachs Model 80B go-kart engine. Hub or shaft r 73 whatever that means....so I guess I have a real live 80cc engine.

Except the bore is 46mm and the stroke is 44mm, so that makes it a 69.94cc.:ride: