Hi.. Are there any engine kits to steer clear of?

GoldenMotor.com

EmCee

Jul 16, 2022
The 72cc 49mm bore labeled as a "100cc" with the round head. The entire engine is a disaster. Horrific casting, the port timing on it is absolutely wild too.

Also the "110cc" (85cc if you're lucky as its never been a 40mm stroke) same issues with the 49mm, both made from the same factory

Reactions: fasteddy

EmCee

Jul 16, 2022
Many look like the exact same thing, but from different companies.

Thanks..
I re-read your question and understand it a bit more.

I understand your question better now.

People often justify paying a $100 markup for "better XYZ," falling for the same propaganda companies like CMB have used for years. They claim their products are superior, but the "new features" like 4-bolt tensioners and socket cap hardware are standard now. You’d have to go out of your way to find a kit without those features.

Some claim they recently bought kits with outdated specs like flathead hardware or a 32mm intake, but that's just not true unless they found old stock. Check eBay for the cheapest two-piece cylinder engines—there are only four or five factories left. Avoid Amazon, as brands like IMAYCC or Seeutuk are just generic kits with branded clutch covers.

People insist certain companies, like BikeBerry, offer higher quality, but there's no proof—just subjective claims. When I bought engines, I chose the cheapest two-piece kits on eBay, and I’ve had engines last from 150 to 2,400 miles. Any failures were due to mistakes I made, not product flaws.

Engine #1 - Lasted 150 miles because I setup the clutch so poorly (To readers, how the camshaft rotates onto the bucking bar when the clutch is disengaged, I actually pushed the clutch arm inwards and set it up that way, I didn't know how to fix it so I gave up)
Engine #2 - 1,200 miles (Retired but worked well, wanted to learn how to split a case)
Engine #3 - 2,400 miles (Retired after building an MS440)

I would suggest the kit in the link below. People only like Amazon because if they destroy the engine because they lack basic mechanic and tool understanding they can return it.

Wevil Kenevil

Mar 4, 2022
Sack a tomatoes California
Pexmor is one brand I know to steer clear of. It's the type. Emcee is referring to. For "100cc" I went with a yd bottom end and the ld cylinder and head with a hand made 4° offset woodruff key set back to smooth out the motor. As yd bottom ends are notoriously advanced in timing.

Reactions: fasteddy