Let's build a V twin engine

GoldenMotor.com

RocketJ

Jun 20, 2018
Gents, It's time to discuss the elephant in the room: v twins!

For years, this forum has been asking about the ability to use a v twin in a frame and this summer I plan on making that a reality. Several months ago I saw a v twin air compressor pump and wondered if it was possible to convert one into a v twin engine. After much research I've discovered that it is infact possible, albeit with some modification. I've already taken the liberty of fitting an exhaust system, carburetor, and spark plugs to the compressor, but the only obstacle right now is the ignition system. Unfortunately the pump has a very awkward 1" diameter crank shaft, which doesn't exactly allow conventional flywheels from being mounted. So these are the options:

1. create an extended crankshaft out the back of the pump and mount a flywheel to it
2. mount the flywheel somewhere else (this will have a gearbox)
3. Use an alternative ignition system such as a alternator
4. use an alternative fuel such as diesel
5. convert the existing flywheel into a magneto
6. Create or find a gear driven magneto like a bosch

I really would like to get this project off the ground so that the community could use this information for their own builds. If you have any suggestions as to how to get past this problem let me know.

pic of the pump in question: https://imgur.com/a/ZQo9S51

Reactions: fasteddy

RocketJ

Jun 20, 2018
update: 5/20/19

ok, so here's the current plan. Adding a flywheel would be too difficult without proper machining tools. Instead i'm thinking of going with plan B: alternative fuel. There's an engine design called the brayton cycle, which uses compression from one cylinder to charge the second piston. This method could be used to ignite diesel. Diesel needs a compression ratio of 13:1 to properly ignite. the compressor has a calculated compression of 8:1, not nearly enough for ignition, but with the assistance of extra compression via the charge piston, it might just work. Youtuber "John Lucas" has built one of these before and it seems to work quite well on diesel.

Here's a link to the engine build and a diagram of the brayton cycle:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe.../428px-Scuderi_Split_Cycle_Engine_-_Cycle.gif

Reactions: fasteddy

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Gents, It's time to discuss the elephant in the room: v twins!

For years, this forum has been asking about the ability to use a v twin in a frame and this summer I plan on making that a reality. Several months ago I saw a v twin air compressor pump and wondered if it was possible to convert one into a v twin engine. After much research I've discovered that it is infact possible, albeit with some modification. I've already taken the liberty of fitting an exhaust system, carburetor, and spark plugs to the compressor, but the only obstacle right now is the ignition system. Unfortunately the pump has a very awkward 1" diameter crank shaft, which doesn't exactly allow conventional flywheels from being mounted. So these are the options:

1. create an extended crankshaft out the back of the pump and mount a flywheel to it
2. mount the flywheel somewhere else (this will have a gearbox)
3. Use an alternative ignition system such as a alternator
4. use an alternative fuel such as diesel
5. convert the existing flywheel into a magneto
6. Create or find a gear driven magneto like a bosch

I really would like to get this project off the ground so that the community could use this information for their own builds. If you have any suggestions as to how to get past this problem let me know.

pic of the pump in question: https://imgur.com/a/ZQo9S51
Think a chain drive a mag. like the old motorcycles..............Curt

RocketJ

Jun 20, 2018
Think a chain drive a mag. like the old motorcycles..............Curt
Where can i mount a sprocket to a chain driven mag? The only geared mag i can think of are the old boschs. A bit out of my price range

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Not sure about the sprocket, but maybe to the flywheel somewhere? My thought would be a weed eater flywheel and set up chain driven. Or even a China girl engine ignition setup, or something like it...........Curt

RocketJ

Jun 20, 2018
Not sure about the sprocket, but maybe to the flywheel somewhere? My thought would be a weed eater flywheel and set up chain driven. Or even a China girl engine ignition setup, or something like it...........Curt
It could work IF i can find a way to bore the flywheel out to a 1" diameter

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
It could work IF i can find a way to bore the flywheel out to a 1" diameter
?? what flywheel, you have to keep the compressor flywheel for balance of it. Mount a plate on the end were the compressor one bolts on, sprocket to it. ............Curt

RocketJ

Jun 20, 2018
?? what flywheel, you have to keep the compressor flywheel for balance of it. Mount a plate on the end were the compressor one bolts on, sprocket to it. ............Curt
oh right, that could work.

RocketJ

Jun 20, 2018
I'm guessing I didn't get enough sleep last night because i'm drawing a blank on how to go about this. so what I think you're saying is to: bolt a 2 stroke flywheel onto the existing flywheel and then building a mount to have the magneto near that flywheel?

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
My thought would be to use a small #25 chain and sprockets and mount the weed eater flywheel and mag off to the side. Or regular chain, be much easier to mount just a sprocket to the compressor flywheel..............Curt

RocketJ

Jun 20, 2018
My thought would be to use a small #25 chain and sprockets and mount the weed eater flywheel and mag off to the side. Or regular chain, be much easier to mount just a sprocket to the compressor flywheel..............Curt
oooh, I see. That might do the trick. I'll draw up some sketches and see what works best.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon