Les Miserable

GoldenMotor.com

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Well sort of finished. Now I need to completely disassemble it, paint it and reassemble it.
Oh yeah. I’ve been there. I haven’t yet decided if I’m gonna do that or just paint right away with the current build. Think I’m just gonna paint and hope for the best. It’s taking way too much time as it is.

Oldbiscuit

Oct 3, 2020
Well things were just going to good !! I spent the last week working in the shop disassembling the bike. Did all the metal work, primed, painted, looking real good. Then I decided to clear coat some of the parts starting with the front fork and clutch handle. Bad mistake !! Came out today and found the paint completely alligatored . Back in the sand blast cabinet, hand sanded and reprimed. Must have gotten a bad can of clear, never had this happen before with the same brand.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Yay! Glad to get a post notification. Scarce thing these days....
Sorry to hear your clear coat woes OB. Most of us have been there. Beyond frustrating when it happens. Worst case for me was on one of my model trains. I'd painted it then farmed it out to a pro who I paid UK£300 to hand apply tri-colour panel lining with a bow pen. Then I clear coated the model with my usual satin varnish, ...and winced as the base paint slowly shriveled and wrinkled. No explanation why. A repaint with the same materials went to plan. I put it down to over-wetting when applying the clearcoat.

Oldbiscuit

Oct 3, 2020
I’m not sure what or why it happened. 70 deg, low humidity, clean when I painted. Gave it three coats of color and let it cure for 48 hrs then I clear coated it. Just 1 initial coat of clear, never did this before. Now I’m nervous about the repaint, to clear or not!

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Oh you guys use the post notifications...? I just use New Posts and check back every so often. Yeah Rick you missed my whole build that I finished in the last two months! OB I decided to go ahead and paint it/finish before assembly. I regret it now a little bit but I don’t like that green anymore so I may repaint it (it’s all the color I had, didn’t turn out too good anyway). It needs little bits of hardware here and there for body work and such. But now I see, I think it’s better to finish and paint a project before deciding what to do next as stuff will rust. I’d rather clean off a little paint than have to wire brush and clean the whole thing.

Mossy

May 20, 2022
The only time I've had consistent luck with clear coat is around midnight and 50° nobody around... If it wrinkles it's too thick and creates a skin that the paint below has to go through to evaporate... Orange peel is when it dries in a confined space and not enough air flow and the evaporate falls back down on the paint... Old cans that aren't mixed well or froze can start out with more paint and less thinner and end up with more thinner but not so you can notice then the top dries before the bottom is some of the things I've noticed doing various projects

Oldbiscuit

Oct 3, 2020
Well I started reassembly today. I gave up on clear coating, tried 2 different brands of clear and two different brands of gloss black and it happened over and over. Thank God I have a glass bead cabinet, made stripping the paint a whole lot faster. I actually like the finish so far, I don’t want a super shiney , new bike look but rather a repaint of an old build . I’m still working on the tank, but every thing else is coming along.
2E550A87-1A54-4259-849B-C0100454FE3B.jpeg
90B40AB5-99FF-4086-9D33-20F1EAC96625.jpeg
D29F8E88-72E3-4B10-BA10-E8ECE0433B54.jpeg