Les Miserable

GoldenMotor.com

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
OB I just read thru this whole thread. I have no idea how I missed it. Really great stuff going on...

Love your shop. I saw your belt sander and I believe I just picked up one of the same model from my buddy. Things a beast huh! Not one of those that will stop if something gets jammed. I had to put a new switch on mine and clean off a bunch of rust.

The SA hub with the dyno will do you good. I ran one with a disc, but the disc versions are a little weaker putting out 2.4w vs the drum versions at 3w. I have a thread somewhere but the pics need to be re-uploaded. I used a common 12v rectifier with an SLA battery. 2.4w was not enough to charge and keep the LED lights at lower speeds. I only bought the hub because it was the cheapest disc hub I could find.

Really love how you made the tank.

Oldbiscuit

Oct 3, 2020
Tony, one thing I noticed on my belt sander was the belt would walk to either side when I loaded it. I removed the belt and put a several wraps of 2” wide splicing tape in the center of both rollers. That gave it more crown height in the center, problem solved! My question about the dyno is what voltage do they produce? My headlight is a seven LED that runs on two AA batteries, so 3volt. I was hoping to replace the batteries with rechargeable AA’s and tie it through the on-off switch to the dyno. Not sure if it will work or not. Need more info and a wiring diagram.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Found it and fixed all the broken picture links- I think you’d need a dc step down for a 3v light. I try to stay with 12v for all accessories on everything just to keep it simple.

great idea for the sander. It’s only my first project with it so I haven’t used it much. When I put the belt I turned it on with the adjusters loose and dialed it as it ran. It’s kinda sitting on one edge now but not moving. If it does I’ll do that trick. Smart!

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
I have a massive scar from a starter cup or as my buddy called it “the hole saw”. I was riding one day and somebody asked me to do a burnout. I did but due to a lack of skill in control the rear tire moved to the right and the holesaw just did a number on my leg. Nasty deep cut. Lol. Another time after I started it the pull rope got caught in the cup again and whipped my thigh so bad. I’d do it again though...

Oldbiscuit

Oct 3, 2020
It should start just by tightening the hand clutch as I peddle, but in case it wants to play tough, I’ll have the pull rope
My Schwinn bopper slit my left thigh open at a car show as I was doing a burn out. I removed the clutch/belt guard for a more tough guy look, and my leg got too close to the drive…Ouch !! Bled like a stuck hog !

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I have a massive scar from a starter cup or as my buddy called it “the hole saw”. I was riding one day and somebody asked me to do a burnout. I did but due to a lack of skill in control the rear tire moved to the right and the holesaw just did a number on my leg. Nasty deep cut. Lol. Another time after I started it the pull rope got caught in the cup again and whipped my thigh so bad. I’d do it again though...
Sounds like me always doing something to my body, When I was about 14 I ground my finger putting V-belt back on the pulley, right through my chopper mittens, so much for my new mittens. Seems like you get excited, and common since steps aside. That was a start, will leave it there.......Curt

Oldbiscuit

Oct 3, 2020
Great day today for a test ride !! I got the bike off the table and outside. Filled the tires with the right amount of air, checked the oil and gas levels, wrapped the pull rope around the starter and gave it a pull… Shazam ! It runs great. Took it out for a shakedown ride around the village and somehow managed to get a piece of crud stuck in the carb needle and seat. Started flooding on me, but I was able to make it back home. Got the carb cleaned out and reassembled and ready for a second cruise tomorrow, got yard work to do for my ever loving wife first.
159E09BE-7E51-4D43-86B8-90D33009D494.jpeg
7E451A0E-4054-44E8-BD57-797A23681F22.jpeg
A0934C5F-EFB3-4ECD-95BE-DD2943E7C331.jpeg
9E09A04F-F6ED-421C-B5C4-4B202426E37C.jpeg