Les Miserable

GoldenMotor.com

Oldbiscuit

Oct 3, 2020
KOOL! Looking back what is the muffler off of? ..........Curt
That was a noise suppressor off of an expansion chamber I used on one of my 2 stroke China girl builds. It was in the way on that build and I cut it off. I don’t want this build to be super noisy so I welded a threaded elbow to it and threaded it on the exhaust pipe. The jury’s still out as to whether or not to keep it as is.

Oldbiscuit

Oct 3, 2020
Well I’ve been taking advantage of the warmer weather of late (40 deg) and I’ve spent a little time on the bike. First off I built a stand for it that I can run it on, park it on, and show it on. Bike was getting to heavy for my bicycle stand.
34AC010B-5648-4DFD-9B8A-7EBB5B4F6FC3.jpeg

Oldbiscuit

Oct 3, 2020
While I was running the copper tubing I went ahead and added a vent tube for the engine from the front of the crankcase, up and over to the frame seat tube. Any oil that will escape should drop on the bottom bearings.
BFC4E0F3-EF39-4F33-A017-9F57E36EEA98.jpeg

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
The tube over the tank you speak of, is it in place of a breather valve for the crankcase?

I saw early on you had a different engine, or maybe it was just the head with the angle of the spark plug into the head that was different.

I have setting 5S and 2S Briggs that have not been run in years. Maybe I could give them away, I'm just not sure I will be using them anymore. Just notice on Ebay may be worth something even in the condition they are now.

Oldbiscuit

Oct 3, 2020
The tube over the tank you speak of, is it in place of a breather valve for the crankcase?

I saw early on you had a different engine, or maybe it was just the head with the angle of the spark plug into the head that was different.

I have setting 5S and 2S Briggs that have not been run in years. Maybe I could give them away, I'm just not sure I will be using them anymore. Just notice on Ebay may be worth something even in the condition they are now.
Same engine on there now that I started with. As to the tube over the tank, that’s the gas tank breather vent tube. The other pipe from the front of the engine crank case, over the top of the engine to the seat tube on the frame is the crank case breather for the engine.

Oldbiscuit

Oct 3, 2020
I really love your builds Pete. When I started this build I had no real plans on how it would turn out. My original intent was to build something like a kid in the late 40’s to early 50’s would do, but kind of changed my mind as I went along. It should still retain the old school look, but be half way dependable and fun to ride…..hopefully!

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I remember the headlamp lens with those beads look from the 70's.

The breather tube into the seat post? Just wondered if there is a drain of the seat post if it ever really accounts to anything at the bottom.

I know that the used razor blade slot at the back of the medicine cabinet where I once lived, was going to just a gap between walls. Or at least that is what I was told. Never got a sledge hammer out to check though.

Oldbiscuit

Oct 3, 2020
I remember the headlamp lens with those beads look from the 70's.

The breather tube into the seat post? Just wondered if there is a drain of the seat post if it ever really accounts to anything at the bottom.

I know that the used razor blade slot at the back of the medicine cabinet where I once lived, was going to just a gap between walls. Or at least that is what I was told. Never got a sledge hammer out to check though.
The seat post opens right into the bottom bearings. If it were to ever spew that much blow by oil, it would just run out past the bearings, as there are no seals down there. I really don’t expect this to be a problem. And the seat tube is open at the top.

Reactions: fasteddy

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
M/T them old engines had a small cup there where he attached the tube, they had a steel wool type of filter, that you where suppose to clean once and a while. It was mostly meant to relive back pressure, but moister seemed to get the oil Rosado up and and seep out. Then they went to valve tappet cover venting, same thing there, you will always find excess goo on front of these small engines, unless you have really bad rings for ingress back pressure, I don't think there is chance of getting oil up and over his engine, let alone to the bearings.

That Brings up another subject OIL. These engines and most before 1995 are flat tappet, even cars, they took out the ZING additive that lubed these engine. Up until now I have been running Lucas breaking oil and STP in my oil for additive, I belong to https://www.casecoltingersoll.com// and there are some engineers on there, that have directed me to Diesel motor oil, that has the ZING in it. So now I just get 15-40 full synthetic Rotella. And if you are worried about cost you can run it for 2,3 years before changing...............Curt