Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I will even through in some heavy snoring.That RMS deep sleep. For a free MB :D

Just teasing ya lol. Get it built and ride it already!!dnut

Citi-sporter

Jun 16, 2014
North Bend, Or,
I have to say that the Honda clones have several advantages over older Honda engines that, despite the country of origin, make them a better choice.

The Honda ATC/TRX 125 engine is a good one, but in the interim since it's was available new, ( this is the kicker, try to find a new OEM Honda 125 TRX engine..) the Clones have made several improvements. One being the clones are all 12 volt systems with big current outputs. They use a lighter and better designed engine crankcase casting that makes their engines lighter for the same displacement size. They also support the camshaft on two ball bearings, plus the cam chain tensioner is simplified and improved. The overall cam profile is designed for better performance, and sometimes the clones come with larger valves and the ability to easily add an engine oil cooler.

They are a bargain for what you get.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I will even through in some heavy snoring.That RMS deep sleep. For a free MB :D

Just teasing ya lol. Get it built and ride it already!!
Calling it a day today but we threw 8 man hours at this morning...
That means two old guys kinda working for 5 hours on a Monday ;-}

I got this shot before I lost the right photo wall light.

Since that pic we have the last frame part on and the seat just temped in and the disc brakes on.
It pedals surprisingly smooth despite having to do the pedal tensioner a bit different. It's on the slack side however so not important.

I have half a dozen close up pics of some of the tricky stuff I'll get to processing but we have a surprisingly light rolling pedal frame now, the rest is easy stuff.

This is a BINO (Bicycle In Name Only) heavy duty dirtbike motorcycle with pedals and so far excellent quality but sometimes difficult to work with materials.

Ohh, and it's friggn huge.
Looks like you could drop a really huge engine in it and it would take it rode hard without even a grown.

Making progress and having fun, that's what it's all about right?

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
After 3 months in the shadows I have the MotoPed in the bay and the engine in.

I re-watched the dated assembly instruction videos and had to smile.
http://www.motoped-choose-your-adventure.com/how-to-assemble-a-motoped/

I built the whole frame up to pedaling first then we mounted the engine which was a snap, it's just 2 bolts.
We just slid it under the bike on a little ice chest and tilted it so not a grunt was heard ;-}

Lot's of work still to do but at least it looks like something now.

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Re: KC's 86cc 4-stroke 4-speed soft tail

All dressed and no way to go...

As warned in the MotoPed page my engines kick-start lever may not clear the pedal sprocket below and requires an off-set lever.

Cole is out at the motorcycle shops today to try and visually find one but most likely we we will cut the stock one and weld us up one that fits.

Other than the air cleaner and that it's done.

It turned out pretty don't ya think?

Now if I can just start the thing!

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Just get'r rolling and step off into 1st gear... that usually starts them... Not that I recommend it, but it does work in a pinch... '
Now on a more serious note... She looks hot dressed up like that... Time to take'r out on the town and show her off some... Good Job

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Thanks Dave
Just get'r rolling and step off into 1st gear... that usually starts them...
It has a centrifugal clutch, that is impossible to bump start.

That's OK, Cole picked up an air filter and said he welded us up an off-set kick-start we can try tomorrow.

It'll be running tomorrow, it just won't get there bump starting ;-:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Cole did a good job using some old kick-stand stock to widen the kick-start lever and it fired right up.

Note that the stock MotoPed throttle does NOT have enough actual inner cable and you can't adjust the outer sheath so on this carb it fires at 1/2 throttle.

The stock throttle also doesn't have a kill button so I put a 66cc throttle with kill button and the cable that was still too short so we cut ~1/3" off the throttle barrel at the stop and got it go, and man does it go, 'scary go fast' go.

KCvale....it would be cool if you could post of video of this thing in action!
I (well Cole) broke the mode selector off my Cannon camera so no video for now, it's stuck in HQ still node but that works just dandy for my needs.

I'll post pics on all my mods to make it go later but you need to make a few using the $300 engine I used.

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
IT'S ALIVE!

Cole whipped up a kick-start extension using a piece of a chrome kick-stand so we got to ride it finally.

It fired up first kick, and then we found that the throttle cable was too tight keeping the idle at 1/2 throttle which was really annoying when we found we had no kill button with the engine racing (in neutral thankfully) so I had to pull the plug wire to kill it as even the choke wouldn't stop it.

I put another throttle with a kill button on it and have it running and man does it run...
Shifting is awkward but once it warms up you can pretty much leave it in 3rd even from a dead stop on flat pavement.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Re: KC's 86-88cc 4-stroke 4-speed soft tail

Finished shots.

It's a big bike, the seat is 36" tall un-sprung and weighs ~115 lbs wet.

It makes the Surly which is a very stout bike look a bit wimpy in comparison.

The MotoPed took a long time for me to get to but a neat build.

Besides the kickstart another likely mod you will need to make is the left engine cover, the 86-88cc Honda knock-off I used you need to trim the bottom back for mount and chain clearance.

The white line is roughly what we cut off.