junkyard contest..

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I had heard that is true on all coaster hubs as well. heck it is time for me to go down and measure I can tell that already.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Well, the coaster hubs generally will fit with the only modification being you have to remove or grind down the bearing cap a little. On the three speeds, the whole deal is about the same size as the center.

Better get cozy with a file/dremel/torch, there's a lot of material to remove from the sprocket if you want to use a three speed.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have about decided to build a different style this time. I have a question about using a bigger tire on the 26" 3speed. If I can, I'm going to just switch it out for a coaster wheel on a coaster frame. Of course that will mean no dropped rear but I think I can pull something out of My rear for the front. Actually I have enough stuff on hand. I will just have to rearrange things a bit. And of course contain myself to wait for the contest.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Deacon, this just has to be the best idea. It will be so neat to see everyone posting their pictures and telling their stories. I will probably be in serious trouble at home when it all starts. When I'm not building I'll be on the computer looking at everyones pictures. I'll have to pace myself a bit I guess.......................rotflrotflrotfl

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
So Pablo are you gonna donate a couple of quarts of that fancy oil to the winner of the junkyard build off. Hey do you have any transfers. Maybe we can get the winner to put a sticker on the bike he builds like they do in nascar. Get sponsors lol.

We are gonna have to turn this into a bravo tv show. lol

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Somehow I missed this thread before! Someone said "junkyard contest" in another thread and suggested I donate oil to the winner....at first I didn't know what the heck was going on.

Indeed it's too early. Contest should start June 1 or something. Photos, parts lists, lowest cost, etc should be required/included. Not to be overly anal. No head starts with half finished winter bikes.....just suggestions....:confused::)

Now I would be happy to donate one quart of 2-stroke oil, winner's choice of variety! (^)

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have this 3speed wheel I want to use, but I haven't done anything to it. I will stop looking for a frame, but I have enough junk here already to build a bike and it all came from the junk store. rofl.. So it technically is a junkyard bike.

Also how do you pro-rate parts from bikes that were used in more than one build. Case in point, whats the value of my huge mountain bike that is gone except for one front brake and brake handle which are now on the delivery chopper. The whole bike cost 4bucks but one of the tires lives on as part of the electro chopper.. what's it's value to a build... The whole front wheel found its way onto the delivery chopper. The rear wheel and frame are gone and the derailer and rear brake got tossed as well. That was before I realized how I could use them easily.

I bought a twenty inch boys bike for 7 bucks. The rear wheel is on the electro chopper.. The chain ring is on the three speed I can't decide what to do with. The front wheel is going to be part of my next trailer for the delivery chopper. The handle bars might be part of the 3 speed. It's hard to estimate the cost of those parts. Can I just call each part a buck and let it slide.

Then there is the issue of the frame bike. If I pay ten bucks for it and strip the wheels to use for other purposes do I reduce the cost of the bike by the value of those wheels. My god this gets complicated. I'm going to have to hire an accountant.

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
How about about a light to the winner of the build off I'll give out a small light unfinished so the winner can paint it their favorite color. I want to sit this build out I have too many bikes now. So lets see these wonders of wonders home made do it your self motorized bicycle made form dives in the dumpster or land fills ought to be cool and if you can get a picture of it taking a dirt nap before being re awoke or resurrected form the grave. I love it, don't get me started, I need Rufus to slap me out of it, I'm wanting to build again.
(c)

Last edited:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
great norman. i am starting to lean twords a bunch of small prizes where more people can win instead of a big one. should be a great contest and fun to(^)

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Heck no you cant opt out Norman. I'll make you a deal. if I lose, I'll take my bike to the homeless shelter and donate it. If they don't want it, I'll donate it to the salvation army, you do the same.

What an idea, we can all do that. Heck most of us have way too many bikes already. Too bad about all the pc things or we could call the program "give a bum a bike." that is meant to be humor not offensive or a judgement.

Last edited:

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
rotflDeacon, my wife and I are laughing so hard we are crying. "Give a bum a bike"rotflrotfl You really have a way with words my friend..............rotfl

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
rotfl ni have started a new area in the contest area on this. great idea deacon. i am likeing it more and more every day

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I like it give the bum a bike we might want to throw in a bottle of fine wine as well. Like Thunderbird or MD 20/20 in their choice of favorite flavors

nogoodnic

Jan 29, 2008
Shelby MI
forum1.freakbikenation.com
This sounds like alot of fun. I think my biggest problem is going to be building a low-buck bike, I have a tendancy to stockpile bike parts when I come accross good deals. Theoreticly I could build several bikes out of my garage and not spend a dime but that doesn't mean that it wouldn't have a $100 front end, $50 seat, another $50 worth of tires, etc... I really like the junkyard/rat bike idea, I just have a hard time not spending money on somthing that I am building. If you guys want to check out some really cool rat bikes that could be enhanced with motors, here is a link to another forum that I belong to ratrodbikes.com • Index page . Some of the best bikes are in the ancient history section at the bottom, if you love classic or hotrod bikes, I think you'll enjoy this place...Kelly