junkyard contest..

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I think the forum should hold a contest. Have as many people as want build an entire bike from junk yard (thrift shot) bikes. With a maximum price allowed for parts something like $25... have to paint your own with spray cans if you want it painted.

Then the best bike wins a free kit to motorize it. We can even pay a small entrance fee and use the money to buy the kit. I'm sure cruiser can get us a kit wholesale from one of the advertisers. If not we will just buy one off ebay and make sure everybody knows we couldn't get it from the advertisers here lol.

Entries to be in the form of photographs of the bike. The better the photos the better chance you have to win. I think a step by step of the build would be cool as well. Kind of our own biker build off. our own reality show sort of thing...

have to have time limits of course.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
great idea deacon but in fairness to us people up north where it is to cold to do much lets have a springtime contest doing just that. awesome idea. i will work on the particulars on how the contest will work and by spring we will have a lot more members to really have a good contest. plus i need to pay a hundy to the winner of the curent contest when it is decided next week(^)

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
do me one favor and I'm in, lets set a spending level now so I can start looking for junkers. I need to use more than one for my builds. Not tonight but sometimes soon so I can keep an eye out.

Last edited:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
:D i will when it is fair for all. garage sales going on in the southern states up here they are having snow blower sales. give me some time to figure out the particulars and when we have the contest it will be items bought between this date and this date (so stocking up now will not give an advantage) and not things we have lying around. i have no problem buying a kit for the contest but i want to make the contest something original and fun. as i said deacon i love the idea.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i want everyone to give some thought to this on how it should be done. how we pick the winner ect and post here your ideas. here is some of my thoughts on how i think winners should be selected:
1. originality
2. post on their progress with pictures and what they have done and how they did it so others can learn
3. and of course looks which i don't think should be the only factor which is why i posted the other 2 first.

how the winner is decided is i am thinking best way is pick the top 5 bikes or any number for that matter and i can set up a voting thing where each member can only vote once

again i am asking for you all's input on this

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Well knowing what i know now one consideration is how an engine will work in the frame.

and yes definitely progress pics and what is used where.

pictures along the way of each step so others can follow along and know what they can do.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Too bad I have not "before" photos of the Military bike.....guess I'll have to "start from scratch".

This will be interesting fo' sho'.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I for one plan to do a fairly detailed photo shoot of the build as it goes along. It should be a learning experience for me as well. I have taken a lot of wheels apart and packed bearings but I have never completely done a bike like I should.

Like joe too bad I just switched out a crank and could have made photos of repacking the bearings of a crank set. Oh well.

I would say build anything you want but you will be judged on these criteria: Then list them.

but definitely list what the rules are....

How about the judges be people who do not build ...lol... I'm sure there are more than a few who live in apartments and just cant do it. Or who don't feel up to it for one reason or another.

Maybe we need classes then a best in show for the prize. Cruiser frame... mtb frame... frame alterations divisions.

Last edited:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
sounds great. i for one would love a pictorial on repacking the bearings. i think it would be great. this is going to be a really good contest and educational for all. i am going to use all the suggestions and from them i will come out with the rules for this contest. keep your ideas coming!

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
One thing I like already is you are judging from photos.. that makes these bikes ten feet builds. You know bikes that look cool unless you get too close... ie Transylvania chopper.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I think those who enter should agree that if they win they will mount the motor on that bike and then run a photo spread of it on the site. Maybe a few shots during the build even.

Autocycler

Feb 14, 2008
Metro Washington, DC
This is a terrific idea. I think it's safe to say there are some serious junkyard "treasure" hunters on this forum, myself included (meerly as an apprentice). With the right kind of publicity, this type of contest could be a way to bring a gaggle of new people into the MB hobby...people who like to tinker, but are presently not aware of motorbicycling.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I think every member could participate if they wished, since everyone here had the skills to do this. In my case my wife said to me, "this is just your excuse to build yet another bike."

She is right, I have no idea I can win, but at the least I will have another bike to toy with.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i think it will be a hoot and plan to have it this summer. (^) build the junkyard ride and ad a free bicycle motor to it if you win. great idea. just be patient and give me time.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
I am really looking forward to building a junkyard motored bicycle. Junk is my specialty. Ya'll will find out just how redneck I really am...................:D:D:D We need a redneck smilie.........................

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
up north here my nick name is billy for hillbilly. i am a master of finding good junk lol. i think it will be a great contest. just waiting for warm weather and more members so we can have a nice big contest with lots of entries. also gonna be looking for second and third place prizes for this one:D

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Well I have been to the bike shop but I bought the wrong bike for it. I might still salvage that 3speed hub and stick it on the twenty inch rim. But those skinny wheels have to go and the sissy frame won't do well with an engine, no place for the gas tank. I learned that last time. I wonder? How much bigger is a 3speed hub than a coaster hub.

I'm gonna have to make some serious measurements.