!! ITS THE POPE !! Ya: He swings both ways...

Discussion in 'Board Trackers and Vintage Motorized Bicycles' started by Velodrome, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Velodrome

Velodrome Active Member

Well alrighty. Now starts the reboot of my BTR build. This all started a LONG time ago with my discovery of this site and Dan Orabonas work at Taylar cycles. Fell in love with the BTR look and decided I wanted to build one. Not having ANY skills at the time and wanting it done properly I purchased a brand new Worksman Industrial Newsboy and had it shipped directly to Dan. I have only 2 regrets about the build as done by Dan. And BOTH are my fault. Dan suggested that I have the frame stretched 3 or 4 inches. Being both cheap and uninformed I declined. Should have done it. The next was going with a 66cc 2 stroke. Once the rideable build was back in my hands I quickly got annoyed with the 2 stroke and the short couple between the saddle and the handlebars. The original build thread can be seen HERE: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=31870 I eventually parked the bike in the garage and there it sat for YEARS. I originally started all this spring of 2011. Since: I have built and completed 2 four stroke builds and am now commited to the 4 stroke. See: Chief say HOW! and PPFST build threads. Recently, after vacillating on how to go about finishing on a theme and workable plan I finally made up my mind. Close but not quite semi replica of a 1914 Pope. 4 stroke with a twist. I would use a 97cc flathead from a Doodlebug mini bike and loose the springer front end. and with a little cleverness, the bike would be a "convertible" swapping bars and saddle morphing from BTR to Gentleman's Express. Getting closer: PICTURES!

Attached Files:

2. Velodrome

Velodrome Active Member

3. Velodrome

Velodrome Active Member

Here by the way is the inspiration for and final color scheme of this build. ~ 1914 POPE

Attached Files:

4. truckd

truckd Active Member

I'd have to go with the BTR bro This has turned out to be a Very Nice! build Keep up the good work!

5. Velodrome

Velodrome Active Member

Thanks T. The BTR REALLY wants to handle! Throw it into a corner and it does what its told with gusto. HOWEVER: The problem is with the 7" bent cranks once I'm on the thing going and all bent over I have to ride for a bit with one knee up on the up side pedal till I have some speed up. Then I can sit up and THROW my knee above my ear to get my foot on the pedal and ride properly. I would buy Lynns at http://custommotoredbicycles.com/wi...r_clearing_4_stroke_motors68mm_bottom_bracket bout half way down the page... but they are cottered; and I already have all my bottom bracket bits and Phantom CroMo shaft nickle plated. I need a shorter set of taper fit; bent pedal's but nobody makes em. SO I guess I'll have to... New set; a die grinder, then off to my pro welder

Attached Files:

6. MotoMagz

MotoMagz Active Member

I like! Looks nimble and sleek.Those lil engines rock ,how is it in a single speed. Have you tried a different carb besides factory?

7. greaser_monkey_87

greaser_monkey_87 New Member

I ran the stock carb on my flathead for awhile, but now I'm running the mikuni pz19 carb, and I like it much better. No external throttle linkage needed. I haven't done a speed run yet (at least not a successful one lol, the carb needed tuned very badly the first time I tried), but she pulls real nice with this carb.

8. Velodrome

Velodrome Active Member

#8 Velodrome, Jun 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  9. TakeiT

TakeiT New Member

Love the chrome on the motor

10. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Active Member

I know the newer OHV engines are faster, but I still prefer those flat heads.

11. Moto pope

Moto pope New Member

Nice build, Velo. That BT looks sexy, but the genteel edition looks so comfy!

12. Velodrome

Velodrome Active Member

Thanks Moto! Yes the Gentlemen's Express config is very comfortable. And to be honest the BTR feels "hyperbike" comfortable like a sportbike should. Well... It will once I have the pedals sorted. Heres how the BTR bars evolved. I started with a set of "Indian" style bars from Sportscarpat with his original design clamps. Once I decided on the Pope direction I needed 2 more clamps, unfortunatly some time before this Pat had changed his design and I thought I was screwed. I contacted Pat and he did some scrounging. He had 2 (just two) left hiding in the shop. I got VERY lucky. So; of course; now I needed some ape hangers :) The construction process is well explained in a quite funny thread that kinda got out of hand... HERE
    http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=43935&page=5 post 42 has some good pictures

Attached Files:

13. Velodrome

Velodrome Active Member

Heres how they look on the real deal

Attached Files:

14. Velodrome

Velodrome Active Member

And mine pre nickle plating of the clamps.

Attached Files:

15. Mr.B.

Mr.B. Well-Known Member

Bless-ed is the Pope!

:- )

-Kirk

16. Velodrome

Velodrome Active Member

Pieces parts Pope... ALL broken down and in for powdercoat! Last bits to be nickle plated are at the chromer. I had to have a set of taper fit wide cranks cut and rewelded. Turns out in BTR configuration. I have to throw my R knee above my head to get my right foot on the pedal when using 7" cranks. Now its easier but they also need polish and nickle plate. However; was possable to ride it. In BTR config though its one uncomfortable BEEE-ATCH.laff

17. truckd

truckd Active Member

AAAH! the pope is in for confession glad to hear it is finally getting to the finish stages.

18. ArtPayne

ArtPayne New Member

Nice ride. I'm drooling

19. truckd

truckd Active Member

Man you make any more Progress on that Pope ??

20. truckd

truckd Active Member

Where are you and what's going on at the Vatican do we have an Incarnation yet ?