Indian Tadpole

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Sitting here plotting and planning and thought of Silverbears Hiawatha build. The "other" tri car being built that will be finished this summer at bike camp. Looked it up and read the thread again and relived the memories, many of which I had forgotten.

Surprising the number of people who commented on the build that we never hear from now. Where did they go. It is time to wake up the build and start doing the last parts of the Hiawatha tri car over the next few weeks to get ready for Bike Camp In The Birches By The Lake.

Here is a link to the thread. Amazing how things changed as the build progressed. Some of you will remember it and to some it will all be new. Enjoy.

Steve.

https://www.google.com/url?q=http:/...ds-cse&usg=AFQjCNGLxEYQ6YlobNQgWytJ4G45Ab77Dw

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Everyone is waiting for progress including me, i sorta knew that it was on hold do health conditions. Hopefully all mended now...................Curt

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Still fighting the aftermath Curt but at least there aren't any doctors hovering over me saying if this doesn't work we're going to have to cut the bad bits off you.

Summers coming and I'm in the starters gate.

Steve.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thanks to your post I spent much of last evening strolling down memory lane, looking at photographs and reading narrative. It was nice spending some time with Tinsmith once again making that wonderful copper gas tank. I realized as I read that it would be a shame for this bike to not be finished to the point of being rid-able as it was first envisioned. Yes, summer is coming, Steve, and in the distance I can hear bike camp for boys who never grew up calling our names... We're both older now by a few years, but with proper stoking there is yet steam in the boiler. One more summer, Lord.

Steve has tracked down a super duper wicker chair for the front end. He found it on Craig's List up in Vancouver and I'll be on edge a bit through the day until I hear that he has made a score. It will be perfect.

Yes, there is a definite rumbling in the boiler of ambition... I can envision our making it to the big motorcycle show in Davenport Iowa to meet up with Mr. B. who by then may have finished his own tri-car project. Wouldn't that be a hoot to ride around the grounds in our tri-cars! Woo-hoo!

And the original concept of the Hiawatha being convertible is worth a follow up. In two wheel mode it will be a light motorcycle with the option of canoe sidecar. For some years that sidecar, although made for the Hiawatha, got side tracked by being mated to a Schwinn panther. Aaniimoosh The Wonder Dog rode many a happy mile in that rig, even though the bike's 98cc Predator engine was barely enough to make it up steep hills. It will go back onto the Hiawatha where it belongs and with a more powerful 2 speed engine this time.

And Curt, you are quite right that things have been on hold and for awhile there I doubted the project would ever be done. Lost faith, I did. We elders tend to let go of ambition and allow the gravity of time to pull us down into do-nothing mode, but Steve is made of sterner stuff than that and has fought back against some daunting odds. Gimp man rides again! A heart attack a few years back gave me pause to consider, but I'm mobile and there's still some fire in the belly. Anniimoosh, too, has gone gray. She's a teenager now at 13, but can't count and doesn't know she's getting old... is still a puppy at heart and ready to ride in her sidecar or strapped in with a safety belt to the wicker tri-car seat. She still has her pair of doggles. My hairy biker babe. Woof! So Curt, what is left to be done on the leaf spring fork? As I recall you were closing in for the kill. Dust it off and take a look, will you? Then let me know what kind of bribe is in order to make it happen. You worked so hard on that fork... it needs to be part of this build which in another decade or two will get passed along as a kind of legacy from friends back when who came together as old guys to make something new out of old dreams. You and Steve and Dan the Tinsmith have your fingerprints all over this bike. And the ones who came before gave inspiration. It is our bike and my hope is that a hundred years from now someone will keep air in the tires and once in awhile take it for a ride. Wouldn't that be something!
Vroom...
SB

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Funny you mentioned that, as was just getting ready to finish them. I got such a mess of parts lying around, just got to get some of this done and out the door. So i can concentrate on my own build, to much time has passed for us and is going faster. So you can count on them this summer, and Steve is coming so will send them both to you..................Curt

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Wonderful! I know you always have a lot on your plate, Curt, so I appreciate your willingness to finish it up. I already know it is going to both look great and function well and will be a major contributor to the bike having that vintage look and feel. Better than sending the fork this summer would be to come up in person to spend a few days while Steve is there. We can trade stories around a fire while swatting mosquitoes, eh? Take a swim in the lake and maybe tinker on the tri-car so we can see how that leaf spring looks. Maybe Tinsmith can finally break loose from Maryland for a week or two and fly up to the Duluth airport, just a hundred miles from camp. Sounds like a plan to me.
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Well that sure got the Bear out of hibernation didn't it. I too had forgotten a lot what had transpired and the Hiawatha having a sidecar was one of them. It is indeed set up for the sidecar and the bike would be three bikes in one.

The wicker chair was about a mile away and when the owner replied to my email this morning the price went from $40 to $20. SOLD, to the cheap old antiques dealer standing against the left wall. The one with a huge smile on his face. There will be a general removal of all the parts not needed and an addition of a foot rest and springs much like the Indian tri car and of course there will be a running thread of just what was done and how.

The early sidecars were wicker seats so this might be something to consider if you want to do a sidecar that is quick and inexpensive.

I would say that Davenport will be a must. At last a chance to visit with Mr.B that has been planned many times indeed.

Certainly hope we all get to meet this summer. This may well indeed be the last bike Camp For Boys That Never Grow Old. Hoping not but one never knows.

Better weather coming here on the Wet Coast even though everything is about 6 weeks later than normal. The bright orb in the sky has just broken through the overcast sky's so maybe the worst is over. It's been weeks since it was last seen and the temperature has risen into the low 50's and I'm certain I just heard Angels sing.

Onward!

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Curt,

Single fellas forget that the Married Man has that constant evolving list of Honey Do's to contend with and his time is not his own. Thank you for taking the time to build the leaf spring forks for us. Much appreciated and hopefully we'll see you at bike camp with your motor bike.

Steve.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Not sure what the summer holds for me, lake place for sale. We are also going to CA. for 6 weeks, in motor home, to see my brother. He is getting up there in age, so see him one more time, while i can. Be back in mid May, then the forks will get finished. Keep ya posted.................Curt

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Took my eyes off the thread and you guys explode with posts...love it and the enthusiasm. Old friends and projects plus the upcoming camp. I very much like the wicker concept for the tri-car chair Silver bear & hope Steve gets the bid.

I've also been going through old threads and would love to see more meaningful activity on them as well as newer forum members reading past posts... lot of beautiful work over the years that is just as relevant now as it was then; especially in classic type builds. I'm eager to see what transpires over your Summer & yes the prospect of you guys, along with Mr. B, bombing the grounds of the Davenport event kinda makes me smile! Another set of Curtis leafs would also be a welcome addition to SB's project coupled with Tinsmiths copper fuel tank, again collaboration of friends. All still having fun. Rick C.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Kind of sad that the only ones building old style bike is these, very little elsewhere on the forum. Some guys cutting and redoing frame, but are more newer style, dirt bike style. Nothing wrong with it, just not like the forum use to be. Seems all the young want power and speed. Get a motor slap it in a frame, and get it going. What is a matter with a old 1.5 hp and put along, smell the neighbors perfume, or roses, just see what others are doing. instead of speeding by............Curt

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Well, even though I don’t reply so much I sure haven’t given up on you guys! I check this section every couple of days just to see if there’s any updates...

And while we’re at it I know for a fact that Curtis has been making some goodly progress on his project, so why don’t you finish her up Curt and join us!

In fact why wait for Davenport, push for this http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=61380 June 10th and I won’t have to feel so out numbered by the modern 2-strokers! LOL!

btw SB, your pic worked.

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
WOW! Nice chair, going to look really good on the bike

Mr.B trying, but seems not enough hours in a day, also having trouble with the clutch build. Don't know how many skate board wheel went in the garbage doing it, now have a nylon spreader wheel turned, hopefully it will be good. Besides that on second motor mount plate, just for mock up. LOL. Still won't know how it will work till the bike is done, lots of hours just in one piece.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
This thread Rick, is like an old hound dog lying in a warm sun lit door yard. Not a lot of action for a long time then someone moves the dog dish a couple of inches and it looks like a mini tornado swept through the door yard.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Curt, I've noticed that a lot of people have dropped off the scene. At one time the chat page was humming and now not many people use it. Life just gets in the way for many of us and the bike goes into the far corner of the garage or shed and every time it's walked past there is a solemn vow that it will be returned to it's former glory and then life gets in the way and the bike continues to sit.

A lot of builders don't have the space, tools or knowledge/desire to build on from scratch and the availability of add on motors makes it easy. We old timers remember when if you wanted one you had to build it with what was available which wasn't much. We would have built a motorbike that would have slid you out from under your hair if the motors were available but a 1-1/2hp Briggs and Stratton wasn't known to be a power house.

No welding but nuts and bolts were cheap and every household it seems had an egg beater drill and a bunch of dull drill bits that you could take to shop class if your school had such a thing and get the bits sharpened by the teacher or more likely he showed you how and turned you loose or you could slip the parts that needed drilling into shop class and drill them there.

Fine days they were too.

Steve.

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Mr B, I knew you were checking in and I wish there was more for you and everyone else to see. There will be action soon since out winter is leaving slowly and we're into 50F and above else DRY days. Thirty inches of rain so far this year. The sun even shows up once in a while if only briefly.

We're 6 weeks behind where we should be weather wise so I'll have to get at it soon.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Curt, it's daylight savings time. Of course you have time now. The days longer.

There was a First Nation fella from a local reserve who noted in the Vancouver Sun news paper a few years ago that only a White Man would cut a foot of material off a blanket and sew it on the other end of the blanket and tell himself he had a longer blanket.

Steve.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Ya or White Man build a big fire and stand way back, and a First Nation fella build a small one and sit close.

Day light savings,just make the outside projects more accessible. Never no end. Glad when the lake pace sell will end a lot of them............Curt

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Curt, I've noticed that a lot of people have dropped off the scene. At one time the chat page was humming and now not many people use it. Life just gets in the way for many of us and the bike goes into the far corner of the garage or shed and every time it's walked past there is a solemn vow that it will be returned to it's former glory and then life gets in the way and the bike continues to sit.

A lot of builders don't have the space, tools or knowledge/desire to build on from scratch and the availability of add on motors makes it easy. We old timers remember when if you wanted one you had to build it with what was available which wasn't much. We would have built a motorbike that would have slid you out from under your hair if the motors were available but a 1-1/2hp Briggs and Stratton wasn't known to be a power house.

No welding but nuts and bolts were cheap and every household it seems had an egg beater drill and a bunch of dull drill bits that you could take to shop class if your school had such a thing and get the bits sharpened by the teacher or more likely he showed you how and turned you loose or you could slip the parts that needed drilling into shop class and drill them there.

Fine day they were too.

Steve.
So true, sad electronic word is taking over.......Curt