Indian Hiawatha

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Back to basics. When I got back from running around doing things that I'd put off for too long I measured where the 5/8" rod went just under the seat so the top of the spring can be mounted. A whole lot of creative staring and measuring as well as holding the spring in place took place and when I was pretty sure that I was right I drilled the holes.
Much to my absolute delight and barely concealed joy I was right and everything lined up spot on.

I am going to put a piece of 3/4"tubing in under the 2"x2"s that the seat and sides are mounted to that will run from one side of the seat to the other and weld it to some 3" wide strap steel that will be screwed in place. The 5/8" rod will go through the 3/4" tubing so that the seat can move freely and the tubing will hold everything in place. Went to the metal stash and the piece of tubing I was sure was there wasn't so it's a Home Depot run tomorrow and I'll get some copper to use as spacers to hold the springs away from seat.

Photos tomorrow as nothing today was photo worthy.

Steve.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Got back at it today. Wheel barrow full of apples needed peeling. I'm not cheap but when apple pie gets mentioned I can be easy swayed. The tubing and the tabs to anchor it to the seat are ready. The rod that goes into the springs will run through the tubing and the tubing will prevent it from wearing the holes in the side of the seat bigger.

Copper tubing with end caps soldered on and holes drilled through them will go over the steel rod as a cover and tie the copper look together. They will also act as spacers to hold the spring in place the right distance from the seat.

Steve.

DSC_0010.JPG DSC_0011.JPG DSC_0012.JPG DSC_0013.JPG DSC_0014.JPG DSC_0015.JPG

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
The tubing for the 5/8" rod is installed and it was a perfect fit that needed a little work with a dead blow hammer to fit. The rod is in for the spring mount and tomorrow I'll cut it to length and fabricate the mounts for the footrest. Then the seat will be stored away until it's time to go to Minnesota.

The spacers for the distance between the seat and the springs came out well I think. I needed 1-3/4" between the seat and the springs so I cut 4 pieces of 3/4" copper tubing and 4 pieces of 5/8" steel tubing. I soldered copper end caps to one end of the copper like you would if you were sealing up cut off water line. Then when they cooled off I slid the 5/8' tubing into the copper tubing and put it in the vise.

I used the 5/8" tubing as a drill guide and drilled a hole in the end cap. Soldered the other end cap on with the steel tubing still inside and when that cooled I put it back in the vice and drilled the other end cap out again using the tubing as a guide. It wasn't 100% accurate since the steel tubing was a bit smaller the the copper tubing. I used a step drill as a reamer to remove the sharp flash left by the drill and it centered the hole as well so it looked good and fit properly.

Onward.

Steve.

DSC_0001.JPG

Attachments

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
The seat for the Hiawatha is done. All the final fit and finish will be done at bike camp next year. I'll sandblast and paint the springs over the next week. The first photos show the mounts for the foot rest that the bar passes through and then mounts to the springs. They are bolted to the bottom of the foot rest. This part of the adventure ends. We'll start again next summer. See you then.

Steve.

. DSC_0007.JPG DSC_0008.JPG DSC_0009.JPG DSC_0010.JPG DSC_0011.JPG DSC_0012.JPG DSC_0015.JPG DSC_0017.JPG DSC_0019.JPG

Attachments

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Now I see you and Silver bear next Summer fighting for who gets the "chair" during rides around the lake and I also imagine hearing the echos of his Waaa...hooo's rolling across the water! You might be able to settle those disputes by taking both tri cars out at the same time each with a large placard attached reading, "pretty ladies ride for free" Uber wouldn't be able to compete with the likes of you two mounted on Tad poles & that's for sure!

Rick C..

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Fantastic!... Absolutely stunning! And that's just the seat... just wait until the whole thing is together with a bike under it! First and foremost lady to ride in it is me mate, Aaniimoosh The Wonder Dog who has been waiting patiently with doggles ready to ride. Woof! Sure hope the motor starts...I need to take another look at the center stand I made to be sure the rear wheel will be up off the ground. The plan is to hand turn the pedals to crank over the motor, then take it out of gear and let if off the stand... pull in the clutch, give it a bit of gas, ease out the clutch and go! The German made model 1932 Fitchel & Sachs 100 cc 2 speed motorcycle engine was made way back in 1934 and deserves to breathe fire again. Woohoo!
SB

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=5cb2f5d51e505b72c600aa9b4ca5d46f&oe=5A19304C Found this FB picture of a tri-car with the wicker seat. The leather with cushion I'd say accents the wicker as in how you are recreating the Indian Hiawatha.

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=ef47cdbb136cbdd15d00b5b951c6035d&oe=5A56A4FF
Meant to post on the other thread. Too late cant delete.
And one other I though was interesting as a side car. Have both tanks filled up and you are your own road side service!

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I just copied and pasted the first link, and well the address is seen as more than a link. No way to keep the various smile thingies from showing up? Well glad the link works. Now would not it be something if the side car had the same bike and all the side car duplicate parts some how. Total Redundancy.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Is that anything like what my dad had said he and my brother did. They merged with about a 100 other bicycles getting on the Statton Island Ferry from Manhattan and so whats 2% more, it was paid by the group.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Received a message from the machinist Thursday. He's been swamped with work and finally has time to work on the clutch. I'll call him tomorrow and finalize what I want done. Not much else can be done until the clutch is back.

Guess it's time to start the electric tri car.

Steve.