Indian Hiawatha

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Kirk,
Sadly there is no chance of making it to the Blackhawk show this year. Even our trip to the east coast is in question with continuing problems in figuring out what has gone awry with Steve's camper wiring. A 1984 low miles Dodge camper, it will not go. For about two weeks now Steve has been consulting mechanics, replacing electrical components, combing through the internet for a solution. The van sits and so do we, fortunately not on a roadside near Gary, Indiana or Armpit, Illinois, but in my driveway.

My tri-car is far from ready for a prime time Blackhawk visit and Steve's tri-car is sitting in Canada thanks to a broken promises machinist there who lost part of Steve's engine and then failed to get it back together even when I took my engine apart and over-nighted the missing bearing clip. Finally Steve left B.C. without the tri-car. What a let down that has been. He could have been riding it around here making a lot of people happy in seeing it.

The trip east was to have started about two weeks ago. The morning of our departure we were packed, Aaniimoosh The Wonder Dog was on her blanket between the seats, the old bear had clipped his seat belt and the spirit of Willie Nelson was singing "I'm on the road again". Steve had driven the van the day before, yet at this critical moment it did not fire, would not start.

The trip was primarily for Steve to visit his son in Vermont who is preparing for a motorcycle journey to the southern tip of South America this fall. His son has no idea how long the trip will take or if he will relocate. In his middle age he has sold his business and felt it was now or never to make this dreamed of adventure. Steve realized it might be the last time he would see his son and did not want to miss the chance. At our age sometimes it is "now or never".

For my part I was hitching along to be dropped off in Maryland where a number of things await. A daughter near Baltimore is due to deliver her third child and I wanted to be supportive of this event and see my wee grandkids at the same time. Grandpa misses them. I also have friends in Maryland including Tinsmith from this forum. We were to spend some time in his workshop making a copper tool box for the tri-car and generally indulging in our friendship. I have a vintage Spartan travel trailer at a friend's property near Camp David where I used to be her caretaker and handyman. I want to empty out some possessions including my journey drum made by an Alaskan shaman for me. Then it is time to sell the trailer. I have also agreed to do a pipe ceremony for a close friend and feel spiritually committed to that.

So this sitting and waiting without knowing whether or not we will be able to make the trip is unnerving to say the least. After waiting four days for an ignition switch the part arrived at NAPA yesterday and when it was time to install it we realized they had sent the wrong one of two possible switches. In a few hours we'll order the other one and again wait until next week to install it, not knowing if it will solve the problem. Pretty exasperating as the summer ticks by into autumn. We're still hoping to make the trip east, but with each passing day we are less hopeful.

While this has put a damper on our enjoyment of Motor Bicycling Summer Camp (for boys who never grew up), we do carry on with working on the Indian Hiawatha tri-car and the hybrid delta trike. But no trip to Blackhawk. HOWEVER, we do have our sights set on Blackhawk 2015! Two old farts and a dog expect to turn some heads with their tri-car builds and we're very much looking forward to spending time with you, Kirk. Maybe yours will be done by then. The only thing better than two tri-cars is three of them... woohoo!
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Zoran,
It is understandable that you might get confused over who is building what. Both tri-cars were inspired by a photo Steve found on the internet of an early Indian tri-car. We were both taken with it and wanted to know more. The thread recounting this exploration is called "Indian Tadpole" since at the time we didn't know what a tri-car was. We just knew it was cool and wanted to build something in the spirit of that old Indian. At a certain point in the gathering of information and old photos, and with our builds in the first stages of assembly we decided to split the thread into two since it was already getting pretty big and confusing with descriptions of two different builds going in different directions.

So Steve continued on with the Indian Tadpole thread and I made a new one I called Indian Hiawatha. They are both long threads and had we known what we were getting in to then we might not have dived into such deep water. But we did and the builds are finally very close to road worthy. Steve's is truly almost done. I can see myself tinkering on with cosmetic things like the wicker seat into next summer, but it is hard to imagine they will not both be ready for Blackhawk. Not that my build compares to his in attention to detail. Steve is meticulous in his work. I tend to be more "good enough" with things like weld spatter, blemishes in the paint and that sort of thing. His looks almost like it just rolled out of the Indian factory. Mine looks like a prototype. Each is a reflection of who we are, as builds should be. We're neither of us sorry for embarking on this joint enterprise, but had we known what would be involved... I don't know whether or not we would have done it. It has certainly been a learning adventure and beats watching game shows or NASCAR on TV. Each one is something to be proud of I think. Sometimes I stand back and look at mine and think, "WOW". I'd like it no matter whose it was. So that's a good feeling. I imagine when Steve is back in Vancouver sitting with his cup of tea and giving his Indian the long "creative stare" that he'll be smiling at what he sees, knowing what a fine thing he has made.
SB

Last edited:

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Bern (more) and Belgrade (less)
[FONT=Bookman Old Style, serif]...ah, sooooooo!
SilverBear, thank you on explanation! (two similar tricars?)
[/FONT]

[FONT=Bookman Old Style, serif]… than, there is one 3-wheel hybrid?
[/FONT]

[FONT=Bookman Old Style, serif]... and, a pair of classic sidecars (one wood, one aluminum)?

Magnificent collection, indeed! I will follow your mutual work patiently, but want you to finish all that as soon as possible and enjoy in rides and show-offs! I know that half of joy and happiness is in dreaming, planing, designing and building - but rides/drives are also great! [/FONT]

[FONT=Bookman Old Style, serif]I am sorry that you have problems with that motto-camper! Hope that you will sort all that soon and have nice voyage! That remembered me on my camping adventurers, from small camping trailer (pulled by trabant, FIAT 600 and Citroen Diane - to self-built motto-camper... Once, we started voyage with our Trabant that just had some kind of general repair (with boat on top of it) – and engine exploded 4 km from our home! Maybe better then some 400-500 km in Bosnian mountains?[/FONT]

[FONT=Bookman Old Style, serif]I am glad that here and in a few other treads, I could find younger people – most of my Internet friends that build their magnificent machines (mostly smaller) – are in their sixties, seventies and even eighties! One had 84 and still like to build replicas of antic automobiles, but replicas of cannons, guns, rifles and pistols, too... and, to fire them at shows! One is Indian Chief and Shaman (in his late sixties) – like to build small boats, ride bicycles and fly RC air-planes... Great company indeed, from all sides of World – some even from here (Europe)! Life is nice?[/FONT]
[FONT=Bookman Old Style, serif]Ciao, Zoran[/FONT]
[FONT=Bookman Old Style, serif](part-time Bern, Swiss &[/FONT]
[FONT=Bookman Old Style, serif]part-time Belgrade, Serbia)[/FONT]

Last edited:

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
My tri-car is far from ready for a prime time Blackhawk visit and Steve's tri-car is sitting in Canada thanks to a broken promises
SB
Twenty15 it is!

We’ll have our own little parade-

Good luck with the Dodge, hoping the new switch will be the end all with plenty enough time left to finish all your trip plans!!!

And while stuck in camp, there’s always bike or two to work on! :- )

-Kirk

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Kirk,
Twenty15 it is. Blackhawk will never be the same. Three old farts who never grew up riding through the show grounds on their tri-cars! It could be the beginning of a national senior (& seniorita) movement! What a gas!

Progress has pretty well stalled on the Indian Hiawatha, so we tinker with the American Deluxe hybrid delta trike to stay busy and productive while waiting for the magic part to arrive next week which will awaken Steve's camper/van into road worthy readiness.

The adjustable headlight mount needs a bigger stepped drill bit (7/8") which we'll pick up at Harbor Freight along with a second dune buggy light as we pass through Duluth, Minnesota and then eastward through northern Wisconsin, into the upper peninsula of Michigan, down to Illinois and east again into Indiana, Ohio, Maryland where family and Tinsmith await bear and dog. After tinker time in the Tinsmith's Shop, Steve will angle north through Pennsylvania, New York and finally Vermont where his son is preparing for an epic motorcycle trip to the southern tip of South America. Whew, that's a long singing for Willie Nelson of "I'm on the road again..." Hopefully in a few days we will be off, like a herd of turtles in a small cloud of sparkling turtle dust... "hi, ho, Silver, and away!"

http://www.bronzebushings.com/ff-1010-3-4-id-x-1-1-16-od-x-1-3-16-oal-x-1-3-16-flod-x-1-8-flth.html

Above is a site where I have ordered eight flanged bronze bushings. After staring long and hard at his spindles for the tri-car Steve says we need to get them in order to do this up right and true the first time and forever more. Gulp, what's another $38.00 with shipping for an old guy on Social Security? Steve will either clarify this extravagance by adding to the thread or we'll watch over his shoulder with the camera to see what's what. Forty years from now when bear and dog are long gone and in motorbike heaven my youngest son Kennett in his seventh decade will be tooling along on this tri-car time machine and those bronze bushings will still be giving good service. I don't want that old fellow to get hurt, so with that perspective in mind to clear things up, what's another $38.00, by then worth 1/2 gallon of regular gas?
SB

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Zoran,
Thank you for your kind words and for sharing the promotional photos. The three speed bicycle would make a fine motorbike and the picture of the Indian family with tepees in the background makes for an iconic image. I wonder what that family thought of the tri-car. So many new things entered their lives with the coming of the white man. I used to raise Indian Ponies years back and now raise ponies with motors & wheels. I like both kinds.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Zoran,
What an interesting tri-car. Do you know anything about it? Is it new and made in the spirit of long ago, or was it made long ago? That is an impressive headlight! I see that the final drive is belt to the rear wheel which should make for a smooth transmission of power.

Any other pictures of it? Thanks!
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Zoran,
By the way, where I live in northeastern Minnesota was the home of Ojibwa (Chippewa) Indians at the time that Europeans came to America. The first European settlers in my nearby town were from two primary sources... one was from Finland due to the similarity in landscape, trees and animals. They were drawn here to settle and to work in the timber industry. The other big influx of Europeans came to work the iron ore mines in the area and many of these people were Slovenian, in particular from Serbia. So, in my little town there are many Slovenian names and no doubt you would find yourself at home here. I live in the forest some 12 miles from town, but consider the town, Ely, my home. I see that you consider yourself from two places, one of them being Serbia. Were you born there?
SB

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Zoran,
What an interesting tri-car. Do you know anything about it? Is it new and made in the spirit of long ago, or was it made long ago? That is an impressive headlight! I see that the final drive is belt to the rear wheel which should make for a smooth transmission of power.

Any other pictures of it? Thanks!

SB
Hello SilverBear,
Sorry - not any one photo, neither further information! I simply cellected it from internet and put in my computer archive - maybe of some use some day... as now, for your pleasure!

It seesm to me a little over-styled, but stil wonderful! Motorcycle (3-wheeler) could be original? Body looks to me new in a style of some old theater armchair? ...and big light from some steam locomotive? .. or, antic automobile, maybe firefighter's?
Ciao, Zoran

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
... about me!
I was born 1950 in Belgrade, Serbia, once part of big Yugoslavia. There I spent entire my life until some 4 years ago when I came to Swiss because of new marriage. So, we now live in Bern, unofficial capital city of Swiss Confederation. Nice country, good people, almost the same as at my old home but better. Both of us are pensioners now.
So, some light motorised vehicle (with pedals) for cruising across and around Bern should be welcomed. Those that could be bought – are tremendously expensive! I almost finished my HPV-quadricycle, have to test it and see what to do next. Most of last months I spent on building our garden-house, for rest and pleasure. It is almost in the center of the city and light vehicle should be useful for communing here-and there. Beside, I always want to build and drive one built by myself. Problem is that I couldn't find old parts here, new parts could be ordered but they are expensive, as anything here. Than, there are not small shops and workshops where I could get some services, neither back-yard masters that could do that for me...

I will search on Google maps to see your county... Some years ago I had in 4 week visit an Internet friend from Oregon. He is Serbian origins and wanted to see land of his grandfather, beside some chatting about possible business...

I like nature and living in forest, but now it is more practical to live in town (which I like, too). In Serbia, my wife had land and old wooden house in country, but we abounded plans to reconstruct it and use as holiday house, or for permanent living. Serbian villages are mostly dead now: poor and deserted!

Ciao, Zoran

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
The more I look at that tri-car the more it seems like a modern steam-punk attempt at an old look. The seat would be torture on the wife's rear end and would lead to a speedy divorce and yes, the light looks like it would shine across the Atlantic Ocean, likely from a locomotive. Still, it is pretty cool.

Thanks for the information on Serbia. There must have been a history of mining there in the mountains to attract miners all the way to northeastern Minnesota to work the iron ore mines, first underground and later open pit. Serbia is much on my mind as I read a lengthy biography of your countryman, Nikola Tesla. I had thought I knew quite a lot about his life, but now I'm learning more and trying to understand his many accomplishments. What an amazing genius he was! He has done your homeland proud.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Zoran,
Thanks for the PM on your Serbian ties and the interesting information on Nikola Tesla. You or he or both may have relatives up this way. As you say in your PM, it is, indeed, a small world. In the great scheme of things we are all family, eh?
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Well, today there was cause for celebration all around. Steve has his camper/van running nicely so that we intend to leave for the east coast Thursday morning and be in Maryland Saturday morning. He will head on up to Vermont to see his son and I'll spend some of my time near Thurmont preparing my 1951 Spartan Royal Mansion trailer for sale. I'll also be spending some time with forum friend Tinsmith in his shop fabricating a cylindrical copper tool box about the size of a V-8 juice can. It will have a hinged lid. If there's time I'd also like to cut out of the same copper sheet (thanks again to Tim Bolner) a copper gas tank for behind the seat of my 1934 Elgin 3 speed. About the same size as the tool box, but for gas.

I've been considering making the tri-car a hybrid gas/electric with the main focus on the gas engine. A problem for me is pedal starting a bike. I have a disease called Guillane Barre Syndrome which has symptoms like polio, so pedaling is hard for me and will be worse yet if the disease gets worse in the future. The 1934 Sachs engine has a compression valve which does ease starting, but still it is somewhat worrisome for me and needs a solution for alternative starting.

I have another build going right now that is a hybrid gas electric delta trike and one reason for the electric front wheel is for ease in starting the gas engine. I can move the bike forward with the electric throttle and then let out the clutch on the gas engine to get it started. I will never have to pedal that delta trike.

So I got to thinking about the tri-car and am considering a small electric hub of 24 volts for the rear wheel, really pretty much for giving me an easy way to start up the gas engine. Inspired by how compact the motor is on cannonball2's recent step through two wheeler(about the size of a drum brake hub) and how little room his controller and batteries take up (he has both in a cylindrical leather toolbox on his handlebars). I realized today that the copper tool box Tinsmith is going to help me with is big enough to contain 24volts worth of batteries and possibly the controller, too. If there's not enough room for the controller then I could make a copper housing and mount it upright against the seat post between it and the rear wheel. It would not detract from the vintage motorcycle look at all and would work perfectly for starting the gas engine and even provide a means of getting home should the engine have problems. Could do a bit of stealth riding on bike trails, too, perhaps. I'm thinking about it and feel better about knowing there is a solution to my pedal problem.

In some ways it is good when a build takes a long time to finish as it gives plenty of time to think things through. A day will come when I will probably have just two rides, both with three wheels. Might keep the sidecar, too, but will probably give it to one of my sons. Two wheeled rides will be over with when my legs give out more. And they will. Having hybrids for the trikes is a good kind of insurance policy and will make starting either three wheeler eezy peezy, even for a gimpy old man. Ha!

The other cool thing today was making final my purchase of a 1981 Ford f-100 pickup with 26,000 original miles on it. Buying it from my brother and will pick it up in Iowa as Steve & I come back from Maryland. I haven't had a vehicle without rust in a very long time. If and when my Elio is ready in a year or two I'll sell the truck and turn it into a silver tadpole. (Yes, I know... another three wheeler!)

I'll check back in from The Tinsmith's Shop in a week or so...
SB

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Hello SilverBear,
Good news to have camper repaired! That should be nice voyage, indeed.
Camping for a few years using smaller tent and a few more with small camping trailer - I decided to build one motto-camper (together with my brother) - and, after a few years we almost finished it. Alas, it was stolen before we attested and registered it. Good experience form all that: everything could be built, juts if have enough of money, supporting partner and proper working space!

Some photos are attached: old truck and simple body on it...

Ciao, Zoran

Attachments

Last edited: