Indian Hiawatha

GoldenMotor.com

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Now that all is said about the nail polish, I figured I'd mention how I have made a little extra space for my belt in the same area. Oh also the pulley was going to scrape too, but I put a about maybe 1/3 inch aluminum piece of metal I drilled a hole through to space out and away the left side drop out. When I put the wheel on I just use a large screw driver to leverage it a bit and have the axle go on. I also put the inner adjustment nuts moved over so that there is equal threads on the outside of each drop out.

Hey anyway I was told instead of using the expensive paint to mark diving gear, to use yellow finger nail polish.

My project, a bicycle turned motor bike and then soon a mutant vehicle motor bike to look like California Female Sheepshead Fish. I'll have fabric that looks like scales, but would use finger nail polish if it would attrach a mermaid;)

MT

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
It has been awhile since I have posted anything, but I am making slow progress. The front drum brake is functional now, throttle and clutch are done, shift linkage is dialed in. The gas tank does not leak at all and holds exactly one gallon and three fluid ounces. The fuel line and carburetor have given some grief.

The gas line is now done and does not leak, but I discovered fuel dripping from the bottom of the carburetor. Pictures show the car on this old engine. Once I opened up the float chamber I found black gunk and knew it was due for a good cleaning. With that done I made new gaskets, put it back on the bike and poured a bit of gas into the tank....

...and discovered it still has a leak. So tomorrow it comes off again and I'll remake the gasket for the bottom plug which I suppose is there for draining the float chamber. The float is held in place with a wire clip with a choice of two positions for the clip. Not sure I understand the function of that. I had thought there was no choke lever on this carb, which I thought odd, but have since learned that the whole air filter twists so that In one position it is on choke and the other opens it up. Different for sure.

I did nothing to the jet and am hoping it is not clogged. If it is, any suggestion on how best to clean it?

How I missed it before I don't know, but I see that the cone nut on the back wheel needs adjusting. I also need to adjust the cable for the compression valve. Getting closer to liftoff, I think.
SB

Attachments

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
You could use some OXY AC torch tip cleaners to clean the jet...They come in two lengths I like the long ones..........Curt

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Yea and good videos on Youtube about this topic.

The two position for the float I think may be answered some by how the engine is going to be run for the most part high rpm or lower rpm.

I saw this video:

HOW TO CLEAN The Carburetor on BRIGGS & Stratton Quantum Lawnmower Engines

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArCAivgAyww

Setting the Float Height on your Walbro PZ Carburetor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnyrRtaA2Wo

may be your type carb is not these so seach there

MT

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Curtis,
Thanks for the tip.
MT,
It sounds like the lower position would be appropriate for lower revs and the higher position giving more gas better for high revving.

I made a new gasket today and re installed the carb. Will see tomorrow if there is any leaking.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I've finished up some things on the bike. I finally made a gasket for the drain plug on the carburetor that works, so the gas line, tank and carb are good to go. Did some other little time consuming stuff not worth mentioning and realized that it is ready to start, so I thought I'd take photos before I crash it or something. Besides, it is a beautiful day and feels like I've reached a milestone worth celebrating in this build. I wheeled the bike over to one of my favorite spots on the property I care-take here in Maryland. It is a little fish pond where I sometimes meditate, as the bit of water is a reminder of home... Minnesota, the land of lakes.

Tomorrow I'll take the bike with me to the Tinsmith's shop so that Dan can be a witness to the event. He made the copper gas tank and worked on the shifter, advised and has generally been a partner in crime this winter. Without him the Hiawatha would be a good bit less than it is.

The bike is without the front fender until the leaf spring fork arrives from Minnesota where Curtis is finishing it up. When I have it mounted on the bike and see how the leaf spring operates I'll have a better idea of how to mount the fender. It looks a little undressed at the moment.

Wish me luck tomorrow.
SB

Attachments

Reactions: Nightster

bchowk

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, Oregon
WOW! She's a beauty, can't wait to hear how the startup goes. I know your a card carrying member of the 20 MPH club (me too) but seems like that is more engine than usually seen on a bicycle, no? Wonder if it'll be fast once tou get it all dialed in...fast or not one sweet ride

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Looking good Silverbear, enjoy your trip and savour that first ride, I'm sure it will make all the hard work you guys put in totally worth it.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
The bike is looking really sharp, sir. Wish I could be there for the official fire off but with luck I'll be here for mine.

Just remembered, the clip is on the lower notch on mine. I just thought to check it.

All the best tomorrow and safe riding.

Steve.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thanks for the kind words, you guys.
I'm very much looking forward to hearing the engine and then feeling it's power. It doesn't need to go real fast to make me happy. I'm more interested in power up hills and being able to cruise without pushing the rpms. I think I'm going to like it a lot and I think around a hundred CC's is just about right for a motorbicycle/ light motorcycle.

As for the color, I'm still not entirely comfortable with red. Kind of got talked into it. It's awfully flashy for me. I'm still thinking I might change the color to silver/grey. If I'm not comfortable with it after riding it some then I'll change the color this summer.

Steve, wish you could witness liftoff. Without your help I wouldn't have that engine and a lot of your welding went in to making the engine mounts, fabbing the exhaust, extending the handlebars and more. I've said before that my friends have their fingerprints all over this build and it's true. Thanks for the tip on which groove the float clip should be on. Sure hope that motor starts right up. I wonder how long ago it was that the motor was sitting in a German motorcycle and in regular use... might be well before WWII. I walked the bike around some to see that the clutch is adjusted okay and tried the decompression valve. Some difference.

So you peddle the bike a bit without compression, release it so it is under compression and give it gas along with a short prayer. Is that right? Do you choke it a bit while it has no compression if the engine is cold? What an adventure!
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I'd peddle it as you said and then when your at a decent speed I'd let the clutch out then as it starts to turn over I'd let the decompression vale close.
Choke it when it's cold and as it warms up open up the chock. Just like a China girl or any other motor.

I did find a page that had the serial #'s and the dates and I'll see if I book marked it. Mine is a 1933.

Steve.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Harry,
"How's the serenity"? Pretty good, I'd say. That's my ongoing quest, to be at peace with myself. Beauty in nature is a component of that for me. I'm fortunate to live in two beautiful environments, winter here in Eyler's Valley of Catoktin Mountain in Maryland and summers at Eagles Nest Lakes in northeastern Minnesota. Lucky boy. I also find that working on and riding my motored bikes contributes much to my contentment. I still catch myself smiling as I ride, a kind of meditation itself. I always feel good after a ride.

Charlie,
The bike in the avatar is the Indian Hiawatha in an earlier incarnation. Same frame now altered to make room for the Sachs engine. Same sidecar, but now with a much upgraded sidecar frame. Different fenders and this and that. I liked it before and I like it again all grown up into a light motorcycle.

MT,
Ice cream is good. I'll have some, too. Aaniimoosh likes vanilla.

Steve,
1933 was a very good year, I imagine. Wow, that's a lot of history you have sitting there. I can hardly wait for you to have your Indian Camelback together and running. We have a lot to look forward to at motor bicycle summer camp come July when you get to Minnesota. What fun we're having as old guys! Life is good. Yes, I'd very much like to know what year my engine is. Not that it really matters. Even if it was one of the last ones made around 1950, its vintage for sure and a beautiful thing.
Off to Dan's in a bit. Later.
SB