Im Going Legal in PA

GoldenMotor.com

yodabob

Jun 29, 2008
North Wales PA
OCCStinray
I got my bike inspected in Ambler at Ridge auto. No ease task for they are a teaching center for other inspectors. The inspector you saw doesn't know what the criterion is for inspecting the bike. You must read sub chapter J of the Vehicle Equipment & Inspection Regulation of Penn dot and meet everything in that chapter. It states nothing about Dot tires, which can't be found for a bike anyway. I was made to believe that early on and contacted tire manufactures and no one builds a dot bike tire that is not needed yet! Also you will have to submit to the state a complete description of the build. Detail everything down to the toque of every bolt, wiring diagram, description of every bracket and yes the lights must say dot on them. I also had to change all of mine and also guard the fuel line and coaster brakes won't pass so you will have to add rim or some kind of disc brake.

Wishbone

Apr 28, 2009
PA
OCCStinray
I got my bike inspected in Ambler at Ridge auto. No ease task for they are a teaching center for other inspectors. The inspector you saw doesn't know what the criterion is for inspecting the bike. You must read sub chapter J of the Vehicle Equipment & Inspection Regulation of Penn dot and meet everything in that chapter. It states nothing about Dot tires, which can't be found for a bike anyway. I was made to believe that early on and contacted tire manufactures and no one builds a dot bike tire that is not needed yet! Also you will have to submit to the state a complete description of the build. Detail everything down to the toque of every bolt, wiring diagram, description of every bracket and yes the lights must say dot on them. I also had to change all of mine and also guard the fuel line and coaster brakes won't pass so you will have to add rim or some kind of disc brake.
So where did you find lights that are DOT approved with the rated candle power for the high/low beam?

yodabob

Jun 29, 2008
North Wales PA

OCCstingray

May 3, 2009
Chester County, PA
Thanks for the answer. My bike does not have coaster brakes, just the normal brakes that squeeze against the rim. The front tire does not have any brakes, that is how the bike came. In subchapter J it says "the service brakes shall act on all wheels upon application..." Does that mean that I need to install brakes on the front? The only lights that I need to change to DOT are the headlight, taillight, and brakelight... not hard at all to do. I also need to put a 12.5sqin mirror on, mine is not that big. Under the tire section where it says "A vehicle under this subchapter shall have tires manufactured in conformance with standards in Chapter 159..." Does that mean DOT approved tires??? I will try to get some pictures of my bike on here soon. It has been raining for a few days now so I don't want to bring my bike out in the rain to take pictures of it.

Last edited:

OCCstingray

May 3, 2009
Chester County, PA
in chapter 159 (relating to new pneumatic tires) it says "(2) Each tire shall be labeled with the symbol ‘‘DOT’’ in the manner specified in 49 CFR Part 574, which shall constitute a certification that the tire conforms to applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards." But it also says "§ 159.2. Application.
This chapter shall apply to new pneumatic tires for use on passenger cars
manufactured after 1948. However, it shall not apply to any tire which has been
altered so as to render impossible its use, or its repair for use, as motor vehicle
equipment." Technically a motorized pedalcycle (moped) is not a passenger car. By definition a passenger car is An automobile for carrying as many as nine passengers. And an automobile by definition is a usually four wheeled self powered vehicle designed for passenger transportation. A moped is not self powered, it has pedals for the operator to power it. So technically a moped does not need DOT tires.

Last edited:

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
I Have Some Controls I Bought Last Year For My Builds. Single Lever Dual Brakes With Thumb Throttle And Brake Lite Switch. With Centrifical Clutch Separate Brake Levers Are Safer. I Think With The Single Lever I Would Like A Coaster Brake Backup. Ron

OCCstingray

May 3, 2009
Chester County, PA
I allready have a brake light. I used the lever on electricscooterparts.com. It works great. I just need to put a front brake on. Also, on one of my rides (maybe 5 minutes) about a year ago my exhaust bracket came loose. It rubbed the rear tire until when i noticed it when I got home. I welded on a stronger bracket since then, but the side of the rear tire you can see some damage, like just what is under the first layer of rubber. It would be hard to find a new rear tire for it, but i will have to to have a good chance at passing inspection the first time around. I can probably find one at a bike shop or ebay.

OCCstingray

May 3, 2009
Chester County, PA
Yodabob, do you have a licence plate light and high/low beam on the headlight? I don't think the licence plate light is required because it says if originally equipped. I will probably go to tractor supply or harbor freight to get a DOT headlight, taillight, and brake light.

ShawnMac

May 7, 2009
Pittsburgh PA
The enhanced inspection cost $260.00. The notary and state paper work is $60.00 so far. Just got back a preliminary rejection the other day. Must submit something from engine manufacture as to the speed the vehicle will go with the engine. Which makes no sense since it is all determined by the gearing. Also they what a details on how it was built. I've come this far, so I’m not done yet. I’ll keep everyone up dated.
Ok, I live in Pa... The red tape in this state is awefull.

So he spent $320 to get his bike legal... I for one will not go thru that trouble. If I do get a ticket most likely it will be less than that.

By the way IF when & when you get stopped WHAT YOU SAY & DO in front of the cop will decide everything..... YOU ARE RIDING A BICYCLE!!!! that has a 48cc motor for ASSISTANCE! Stick with that and act dumb about everything else.

P.S. always wear a Helmet, Register you BICYCLE at your local cop shop before modifications & obey all BICYCLE LAWS! And most importantly ride responsibly & set a good example for our community.

Last edited:

ShawnMac

May 7, 2009
Pittsburgh PA
I think we ought to petition Pennsylvania to change mopeds to not be required to be titled. They can keep the requirements for insurance and registration, but given that many small towns in Pennsylvania do not have adequate transportation, the motorized bicycles, or mopeds as the state calls them could be a source of potential revenue for licensing and they could make it easier on all of us by not having ridiculous requirements.

So, who's for writing their state representative? (Although an answer I got from a state trooper said they were legal. There seems to be some confusion on this point.)

Please don't contact Harrisburgh and make an issue out of this... Most likely they will regulate it and make it harder and more expensive (tax/registration/license fees)

Keep it quite.

Really, if you want a serious commuter vehicle then get a motorcyle. I see Dual Sports DR400s on Craiglsist for $1000 all the time.

Jobarwo

Mar 30, 2009
Idaho
Please don't contact Harrisburgh and make an issue out of this... Most likely they will regulate it and make it harder and more expensive (tax/registration/license fees)

Keep it quite.

Really, if you want a serious commuter vehicle then get a motorcyle. I see Dual Sports DR400s on Craiglsist for $1000 all the time.
I agree. The more you do without thinking, the deeper you may be digging a hole for MBs. If you try to call them MOPEDS, you will make them subject to the laws for MOPEDS which is NOT what a MB is!

OCCstingray

May 3, 2009
Chester County, PA
A moped (motorized pedalcycle) by PA definition is A motor-driven cycle equipped with operable pedals, a motor rated no more than 1.5 brake horsepower, a cylinder capacity not exceeding 50 cubic centimeters, an automatic transmission, and a maximum design speed of no more than 25 miles per hour, or an electric motor-driven cycle equipped with operable pedals and powered by an electric battery. These bikes with engines on them mett this definition. It is automatic because it only has one gear, no shifting. Nowhere does it say in the definition that it is not a bicycle with engine. Anything that meets this definition is a moped. A bicycle with an engine is the same thing as a moped except it is home made not made in a factory like the "real" ones are.