Im Going Legal in PA

GoldenMotor.com

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
I got the flex exhaust from Quenton & the lights are powered by a little battery under the gas tank. The battery isn't on in the picture. Here's a link to where I bought the battery. I bought the first battery listed. I bought a charger on Ebay & charge it overnight when it gets low. Here's a link also to the charger.
Jay

Electric Scooter/Bike Battery And Batteries From Electric Scooter Parts

12 Volt Battery Charger For Scooter Dirt Bike ATV Moped:eBay Motors (item 370204481568 end time May-30-09 15:48:35 PDT)

scribbles

Jul 4, 2008
Congrats bro i am glad you did it... how long now has the process been and how much did it cost all together... Also it would be super cool if you could make a little list of the steps to get a title in this crazy state...

OCCstingray

May 3, 2009
Chester County, PA
I did get my bike registered with the national bike registry. The send you a sticker that goes on the bike, a certificate of registration and a small wallet card after you fill out the information and choose what plan you want. Police stations across the country can access the database in case of theft unlike local bicycle registration at local police stations.
National Bike Registry - Prevent Theft: Register your bike in the NBR Database!

eomonkeyboi24

Jun 28, 2009
Minnesota
Do they check your engine to see if it is 50cc and how? Because what I want to do is get mine registered with a 80cc(66cc) and have a bigger sprocket on it so it goes under 30mph, then put a smaller one on after i get it registered so i will be faster. Will this crazy idea work?

OCCstingray

May 3, 2009
Chester County, PA
The only way i can think of for them to check engine size would be to take the head off and measure the stroke, and diameter inside the cylinder. The sprocket idea of yours will work because in PA mopeds are exempt from the annual state inspection. You could use letter stamps to stamp onto the engine 48cc or whatever so it looks like it is less than 50cc.

eomonkeyboi24

Jun 28, 2009
Minnesota
The only way i can think of for them to check engine size would be to take the head off and measure the stroke, and diameter inside the cylinder. The sprocket idea of yours will work because in PA mopeds are exempt from the annual state inspection. You could use letter stamps to stamp onto the engine 48cc or whatever so it looks like it is less than 50cc.
haha good idea about the letter stamps!dance1

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
I called title services in Nevada & Alabama & their states don't require titles for mopeds or motorized bicycles so they can't do them. They told me that I'd have to get my bike registered with them as a motorcycle. You need a vin number so you'd probably have to give them your engine number. Also, they don't do homemade stuff so it gets kind of complicated.

Last edited:

yodabob

Jun 29, 2008
North Wales PA
Silver,
Check out my posts yodabob on page 10,11, and most of all13 on how and costs to have it done legally.
No jump tags or titles. Lots of paper work not cheap but the final rewords are well worth it. No insurance now that will all come later after you are issued a VIN plate. Going on 500 miles of town-to-town fun and thumbs up from every age group. So don't let the state take you down.
Yodabob legal in PA
YouTube - motorized bike street legal in PA

OCCstingray

May 3, 2009
Chester County, PA
Lights for a trailer should be DOT approved. Look on the lenses of the lights it should say SAE approved or DOT approved or something along those lines if they are DOT approved. You only are required to have one mirror, but two is ok also. The mirror has to be 12.5 square inches(flat), or 10 sq. in. if it is convex. If you use one mirror, it should be on the left so you can see both lanes behind you, not just the curb if it was on the right. I have the same problem, I also need to change my headlight, taillight, brake light to DOT lights. My turn signals are DOT, I already changed them. You also need some type of horn. I got my horn, brake lever switch, handlebar controls on *ElectricScooterParts.com - Visit the Electric Scooter Parts store.