Im Going Legal in PA

GoldenMotor.com

longjohnsilver

Mar 21, 2009
poconos
I regret my last comment, I have no excuse other than a bad case of diarrea of the mouth, Im sure the work you had to do to legalize your bike was arduous at best, forgive me, what I said was uncalled for!

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
that was cool that you got it registered,but for all you spent you could have got a moped and suped it up.the only reason i put a motor on my bike is because i dont have the money for a moped.price of my bike=$20 price of my kit= $180
now i plan on looking for a moped that doesnt work or maybe one from a junk yard for like $50 and get a salvage title and then i could put a bike engine on it(anysize i want to,they wouldnt know)that would be a moped just for the title and i could use bicycle parts on it.

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
yea Cabin I hear that , cost was defiantly the reason I got into this . I cannot believe the rigmarole that Yoda and all of us living in Pa will have to do to get legal. These rules have really taken the wind out of me as far as getting my builds legal, Ive built trailers before with less hassle than signing some paperwork.

It is embarrassing that this state and a few others make it so difficult to get a simple bicycle with a 49 cc motor on it legal, bout as bad as the new tobacco tax hike the feds have made .

Anyways Im off to craigs list to sell my builds Im going to get a real scooter that I can easily register. All this paperwork and expense just is not worth the effort for these builds .

rmeloy34

Mar 26, 2009
Wallyworld Conn.
yea Cabin I hear that , cost was defiantly the reason I got into this . I cannot believe the rigmarole that Yoda and all of us living in Pa will have to do to get legal. These rules have really taken the wind out of me as far as getting my builds legal, Ive built trailers before with less hassle than signing some paperwork.

It is embarrassing that this state and a few others make it so difficult to get a simple bicycle with a 49 cc motor on it legal, bout as bad as the new tobacco tax hike the feds have made .

Anyways Im off to craigs list to sell my builds Im going to get a real scooter that I can easily register. All this paperwork and expense just is not worth the effort for these builds .
Sorry its working out that way commander. Like some of the folks cost was a big factor that drew me to this hobby but I think youll agree at some point your builds take on a life of thier own unlike a storebought,Id be real sad if I had to put it aside.....Good luck

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
yea rmeloy34 . I am kinda pushing the envelope, since I just got into MB builds and have 2 of them. And I live in a gated community with 42 miles of paved roads I will continue riding till our security guards give me a ticket or tell me to stop. But I always pedal when i see them.

But I am defiantly gonna sell them for a real ligit scooter when I find a buyer for my 2 builds.

rmeloy34

Mar 26, 2009
Wallyworld Conn.
Commander,
I certainly hope you will be able to at least ride around within your community,being obviously private would the whole reg. thing even apply there?...im sure you thought this out. I hope you can find a good home for your MBs.Possibly you can buy the security guys a coffee or something,they are probably curious anyway mabey you could make a few friends and they wont bother you.Hang in there brother!
Rob in CT

yodabob

Jun 29, 2008
North Wales PA
Well I might have to retract my statement that I would not go through the process of trying to legalize the bike for the street in PA again. For since I’ve done it has been a blast. Freely riding the roads and the looks and kids yelling at you, cool bike mister! And the cops following for a while and then turning off have made the whole trip worth it. Yes costly but and challenging but worth it if you are in it for the long hall, quit an enjoyment. Sorry to hear some of you are giving up.

Wishbone

Apr 28, 2009
PA
Years ago Pennsylvania did have plates. In the early 1960's I once knew someone that had a Whizzer bike with PA plates labeled "Motor Bike".

My guess is that when the imported moped's came on scene in the mid 60's, the change was made.

Anyone else remember the orginal Whizzers? Or am I the only old fart here?

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
so far that has held true for me SaddleTramp. I would prefer being legal but there is no way Im gonna shell out over 400 bucks for that privilege myself. My MB are not that fancy and I have a rear view mirror so if I see someone suspicious I just start to peddal. so far so good with no hassles and I have over 200 miles on it all ready.

But first ticket I get they are defiantly getting sold and I will purchase a moped or scooter that will be a snap to license here in Pa..

longjohnsilver

Mar 21, 2009
poconos
yea Babeeee!! Breakin the law. breakin the law!! I'm really starting to hate PA, I wish I would have put more thought in to it before buying my house here!

longjohnsilver

Mar 21, 2009
poconos
IO'm not an old fart, not yet at least, but yes, I do remember the whizzers. In fact they have brought them back, I dont think they look as good. My Daddy left me one after he died in the 80's. He had built from a kit that he ordered from popular mechanics.. He built it in the 50's, rode it until he went to Veitnam, after that it stayed in storage. I still have it, I haven't looked at it in 14 years, I think it's built on a old schwinn frame!

OCCstingray

May 3, 2009
Chester County, PA
I am new here and just want to introduce myself. I have a schwinn stiingray with an engine on it. I custom painted the tank and engine. I also put on a headlight, taillight, brake light, turn signals, horn, speedometer and key switch so it cant be started without the key. It is a 12volt system with a small battery from cabela's. I ran all of the wiring in the frame for a clean look and to avoid theft by bypassing the key switch.

OCCstingray

May 3, 2009
Chester County, PA
PA laws regarding these are very confusing. I went to a place in West Chester, PA to try to get the enhanced inspection with the MV 426B form to get a title and VIN so I can then get my bike registered. The owner of the shop says that I need a 12.5sqin mirror (mine is much smaller), DOT approved lightning (my headlight, taillight, and brake light are not) and DOT approved tires. Once I get meet those requirements, I can pass the inspection. It is basically impossible to find DOT tires to fit this bike. Any help to get this registered? yodabob1: where did you go to get your inspection? I also tried to get the inspection done at a place in Strasburg, PA and the man there said it is not possible because I do not have an MSO (manufacturer statement of origin). I am the manufacturer because I built it. But he did say that it does not require registration because mopeds are what the people that loose their licences to DUI drive.

OCCstingray

May 3, 2009
Chester County, PA
I did however print out the motorized pedalcycle regulation pdf posted by whodathunkit on page 7 of this forum to use until i get registered correctly like yodabob1 did with his nice bike. I know it is possible, but very hard to do. I need to go to the right place where they are a little more lenient.