I See Springers...

GoldenMotor.com

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
Deep in the American South
OK, below you will see the hind quarters of a 20" BMX bike that fell under the influence of my jig saw this afternoon (yes, it's upside down). now, i see parts for some homemade springer fork parts there; does anyone else see potential there? maybe cut off the bottom tubes and save the other part, complete with dropouts? (that rusty section is part of the seatpost tube)

feel free to help me visualize.

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
That sounds like fun. I was considering a simpler version, a soft tail for an old cruiser.
I want to cut out a 2" length of the seat stays near the seat post and replace with springs. Instead of creating a pivot, I would just rely on the flexing of the chain stays to yield an inch or so of wheel travel. I have a KHS mountain bike that has an elastomer sof tail like that. LOL.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I love the spirit of invention that everyone has about customizing their MB's... but I really want to caution everyone about trying things like welding your own frames & forks, (or anything else for that matter)

DON'T TRY THIS UNLESS YOU REALLY KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!

Having the fork (or frame)break @ 35 MPH is very serious...

I don't want to stomp on anyones fun here, & I love seeing all the new crazy inventions everyone here comes up with, but seriously... be careful! (& post a lot of pics when they're done!!) (^)

Last edited:

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
OK, below shows the top rear triangle (with section of seat tube still attached) from the 20", separated from the chainstays.

20" frame is a bit short, but can you see where my thinking is going on this? ideas from the fab geniuses are welcomed.
chainstay removed.

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
First thing I would say is, use a different BMX frame; one that has the rear dropouts that face towards the rear. (This way they will face down on your new fork!)

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
AussieJester, thanks for your input.

i was thinking of something like a cross between forum member Jak Stoll's homemade fork (see attachment) and the old Sears Spaceliner forks.

i'm thinking seat stays or chain stays would be plenty strong. i found a rear suspension spring from a junked thrift store kid's bmx bike (only $2.99USD!) and i'll take some more pictures when i get the mock-up further along.

thanks again for your interest!

Attachments

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
But, But, where's the length, the rake, springers are for choppers. well cheap suppension for bikes. Man I would listen, Front forks are nothing to play with!
We don't have a "Obit" thread, yet. Front forks are not a game.

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
If you look on ebay, theres a guy selling reproduction "Monark" springer forks that look really cool!!

I don't know how to add a link to the listing, but here's the item number: 120331345670

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
If I might suggest--Take an old front fork and turn it backward. Make a pair of bottom pieces to carry the axle with shoulder bolts for pivots. Whack the stem off a Schwinn blade fork and mount a horizontal clamping table atop it for a blade spring (coming from the backward main fork where the fender would normally attach) It would resemble an Indian fork from about 1937 and shouldn't weigh TOO much. There are places that custom build leaf springs for trailers, etc. that should be able to furnish a 1" X 1/8" blade that would be a good starting point and shorter pieces can be added as necessary to adjust the carrying capacity/action. (as opposed to actually engineering something. It's called Edisonian engineering.) Keep trying until something works. The longer the better for good travel. KW

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
But, But, where's the length, the rake, springers are for choppers. well cheap suppension for bikes. Man I would listen, Front forks are nothing to play with!
We don't have a "Obit" thread, yet. Front forks are not a game.
Springers aren't always for choppers. So you could add springs with out jacking without having to chop and rake the frame.

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
I've been looking at springer & girder suspensions for awhile now. Just waiting.

Cyclone started a thread about 1900 era builds and that's been on my mind too.
But sticking a chromed springer pyrimid fork on it just wouldn't have the look I'm wanting. I've seen some nice Schwinn "Beehives" that I liked but the one I almost bid on (till I called my welder buddy to have him look at it and he told me it would be best to forget it) was this old wrecked & bent 1940's RollFast. (photo below) It even had the mount for the headlight just ahead of the spring.
So, we're now looking at building this fork. I see the stamped spring Yoke-Krate that goes under the spring for sale on ebay from time to time on ebay. It wouldn't be that hard to modify and fab.

Schwinn NOS Bicycle Front Springer Fork Yoke-Krate etc - eBay (item 110229369463 end time Nov-26-08 05:43:56 PST)

I would think there could be a brisk aftermarket for spring front suspensions for motor bikes traveling at 30 mph. I remember as a kid riding some old springer front fork bikes over the country roads which were one constant pot hole and riding a bike with rigid forks and the difference was day and night. I want my build to have some suspension on the front beyoned just big balloon
tires.

These forks had been in a wreck and would have had to be straightened out and possibly welded on some to refurbish them. I would have bought them just for their "look". But, good things come to those who wait. Perhaps someone in a small fab shop will look back over the old forks sold on ebay and think...."Hey ! We can copy that" ! (and make it look just as vintage)

Attachments

Last edited:

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
If you want a kicked-out front end, make a leadiing link out of a trailing link like I accidently did on my 50's Monarch springer.. Incidentally, since I assembled it RIGHT the tire hits the fender fixing screw at the top of the stationary member when I hit a significant bump ZZZZZZZZZZ ! Keith (trackfodder) Williams

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Thanks Kim :)

I figure that with one of the Fork Head Accessory kit's and a pair of the 26" flat
bars that I could just about fabricate the Rollfast springer forks in my last post. With the templates below welded into the bottom of the forks (made of 3/16" plate and the axle links made of 1/8" metal it would take a few fastenings and some welding. For about $30 dollars.

It would be nice to get the chrome/cadnium plating off the pieces so that they could be painted. Too bad they don't offer them in black.

Attachments

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
Just for fun make up a vat of salt water or vinegar water and stick a car battery jumper cable on the part(+) and a chunk of metal (-) and see what happens

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
For about $50. (shipped) you can get a chrome springer on Ebay... Or for about $100. or more, you can find a "real deal" Schwinn springer!!! Or one of those Monark replicas.

Your time is worth money... Sometimes (I think) it's better to pay a extra bit of money to buy something, instead of spending 80 hours designing & building it yourself. (but if you enjoy it... go for it!)