I no likey the new forum format

GoldenMotor.com

SilentRider

Aug 19, 2014
Massachusetts
I don't care for it either. But lets try to give some feedback on what we do or don't like that's changed.
I know that when there is a upgrade or change of hosting software it can be difficult and/or time consuming to maintain the previous forum appearance.
I wasn't going to say anything because I never seem to like change but I think it's more than that. The biggest change I don't like is the view of the all sub forums takes up too much space. I liked the way you could see most of the sub forums and see which had been updated recently with very little scrolling. I know the old format did appear "condensed" but I guess I liked it that way. Maybe the new view gives more space for ads.
Not really digging the new color theme either and it just seems kind of bare looking. But I guess you can't please everyone. Looks like we lost the old bike theme emoticons that you could add to your post. I didn't use them much but I thought it was a nice touch. That's my impression, it's hard to give more points without being able to see the old layout and compare. Anyway, that's my two cents.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I no likey the new forum format, whos idea was this?
The old software had become obsolete. No longer supported, hackers could get and do what ever and nothing could be done. There really was no option or choice. And it's not cheap. (or easy)

SR, I'm on a cell but the emojis have been kept.

Cool part of hiker making them for us, each one had a story and was specifically for a member or in reference to a story or event. Great guy. If some one from outside the U.S. joined, he would make one with a flag from that country. Eric went to great lengths to keep them. Aside from the expense of upgrading for our protection. Change always is a drag. But loving this. Posting pics is a breeze now. Bunch of cool things like that. When ya post a vid, it shows and not just a link. I always thought it was funny that a crafting forum had so much difficulty posting pics and vids. But I belong to another forum that uses this software. So had a head start.

But takes time, I guess.

Search for "thanking hiker" thread. Really cool how it came about. Great guy. Am on cell.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I guess, for me, it's hard to complain when I don't have any financial 'skin' in the game. I do suppose that the new advertising functionality is a big part of the reason for change. I'm a member of another forum that has the option to be a 'premium member' for $X's a month which includes the absence of advertisements. Being the tight ass I am, it's easy enough to just ignore the ads.

(p)

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I guess the thing that I miss from the old setup is that the member's location locale was posted with their avatar. Really helped this codger keep up with who is who......

Reactions: Kioshk

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Didn't see New ads.

Don't know how well that would go over. Ad free option. I'll ask. I am with you on that though. LoL, easier to ignore than pay for membership.

That and I like going threw every now and then. Did ya see the electric start, 2 stroke? Really cool and my next project.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I guess the thing that I miss from the old setup is that the member's location locale was posted with their avatar. Really helped this codger keep up with who is who......
Hmm, that's a point. I liked that too. With all that's going on, noticed but seemed to pale with the big stuff being moved. So didn't really keep the thought but will ask.

SilentRider

Aug 19, 2014
Massachusetts
From what I've seen other forums that have a paid membership option only prevents pop up ads from appearing, and we don't have those here so far. I can't see a forum offering no advertising and still being able to attract advertisers. I don't have any problem with the current ads, they pay for the site, pop up ads I wouldn't like.

Reactions: Dan

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Big time, SR!

Man, on slow machine or bad connection. And ya have to wait for it to load so you can close it. That can cause a flight test of said equipment!

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
We, I put a new icon and all, but this this could be a deal-breaker...
My browser is constantly updating on the site to run the new ads and chat!
Jez. I got to off this right now!

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Guys I hate that y'all are having problems with the new format, it work real good on my tablet. From what I've learned since the change over its going to be a nice forum once everything is ironed out.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Dig the avatar, KC

Not following. .... Whats happening?

Any thing still not working (think everything is done function wise) Please let someone know.

Xman, I brought up the locations thing but it has been crazy and have not heard back yet.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Guys I hate that y'all are having problems with the new format, it work real good on my tablet. From what I've learned since the change over its going to be a nice forum once everything is ironed out.
I'm not having the problem today.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Dig the avatar, KC

Not following. .... Whats happening?
Thanks, it's one of better build shots.
When I was on yesterday the browser (Firefox on a PC with Win 10) just kept constantly updating the page.

I have not seen it repeat today.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LoL KC. Coulda told somebody. hehe, sorry. Been chasing the unhappies and just wanna make sure it's working for every one.

You're a good guy, Greg! And glad there were no issues. Watched Shelly steal the cat's treats yesterday and she heard me pick up a candy bar from another room and came to investigate/beg. Like her old, flea bitten' varmint self. Was really good to see. And really annoying.

Didn't mean to ramble on your thread, BN.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
LoL KC. Coulda told somebody. hehe, sorry. Been chasing the unhappies and just wanna make sure it's working for every one.
Just trying to trouble shoot it on my end.
It appears to be a bad app that wants to constantly update some site app, trying to get the name of it, but 1 is chat app.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Candy wrapper in another room? Is that the dog who can't hear NO from 10' away but can hear a candy wrapper from the other side of the park?

I don't see the ads myself when I'm on the forum because I'm concentrating on the forum but I'm glad they are there when I need parts and I don't have to search for the sellers. If Eric hadn't taken it over my guess is that the forum would have died eventually because it was to hard to maintain.

Steve.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Candy wrapper in another room? Is that the dog who can't NO from 10' away but can hear a candy wrapper from the other side of the park?

I don't see the ads myself when I'm on the forum because I'm concentrating on the forum but I'm glad they are there when I need parts and I don't have to search for the sellers. If Eric hadn't taken it over my guess is that the forum would have died eventually because it was to hard to maintain.

Steve.
LoL, Steve! I swear to Good I just glanced at first line and knew it was a post from you! Didn't see the name b4 hand and was still on bug hunt. 2 funny. Kinda went "ahhh" and relaxed.

But right!? Damn dawg don't know her name but knows when ya look at a Klondike bar! JUST LOOK AT ONE! lol

But to topic, any one seeing or not liking anything? Bug reports invited. Here is for us and let fly.

Reactions: fasteddy