How much Tire pressure do you run?

GoldenMotor.com

Nikko

Jun 23, 2011
So Cal
hey guys, me again.

how much tire pressure do you think is wise to run on a MB road bike with 700cc tires?

i continued running 110psi because thats how much i used to run when it was a fixie and today i was riding home from the bike store and out of nowhere POP!!!
my front tire went flat instantly, luckily i didnt go over the bars and bite the pavement, i was traveling at a speed of 35mph so i could of just hit a bump too hard with my skinny tires, but do you think running it at that high is too much?

now i replaced it and am running 60 up front. what are your opinions?

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I agree with happyvalley. Consult tire sidewall and then work from there. Also, make sure to occasionally inspect your tires.
I inspect my whole bike once a week for anything. If tires start getting cracks or sidewall is damaged, replace em right away!

If you don't have enough pressure, your handling will suffer and you can get a pinch flats easier.
If you use too much pressure, you're at greater risk for blowouts. So, you have to find a happy medium.

One of my relatives has a 700c bike that I occasionally service. It has 32c all-terrain tires and they are rated for 85PSI max. They like 75-80.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I always inflate my tires to exactly what it says on the side of the tire. ;)
Having a engine on the bike only adds 25 lbs to the bike & shouldn't make a difference.

Nikko

Jun 23, 2011
So Cal
thanks for the opinions guys!

my tire went flat again while i had it locked up at work. not sure if it was cause i punctured it or just coincidene, but i removed the engine sadly and put the bike on craigslist, its a fixie so itll sell fast, im going to buy a mountain bike with front suspension soon and hopefully put the shift kit on it.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I run as high of tire pressure as I can get away with. My Kendas are rated 3o-8o psi and I usually run them at 45-60 around town as my cruisers are rigid (no suspension) and will beat you up with higher psi than that. Higher psi = lower rolling resistance and less chance of snake bites (pinch flats).......need I say more?

dnut

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I run with tire sizes of 24X3.0 and 26x2.7 I keep it about 40 to 44 psi here with hella thick tubes. Always stiffer on the rear. To soft and the valve core can drift and re-clock it self getting cut on the rim.

Nikko

Jun 23, 2011
So Cal
thanks again, yea i sold the road bike and found someone to deliver me a mountain bike thursday, hope all goes well and i can get back on the road. on a MB that is, because cars just arent the same