HoneyBee engine kit

GoldenMotor.com

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
I have seen this for a while and watched Ebay and the like, but no HoneyBee. I would like to have the kit, I think you could eliminate the lower portent of the frame and install in its place. And If it had a gear cluster would you then have gears! Have fun, Dave

4 Cycle Honey Bee Moped

Seanik

Nov 10, 2008
Erie Pa
Their Mr. HoneyBee-Z1 complete cruiser looks like a nice ride. I wonder if it's available in the U.S. This would be my 3rd cruiser, the cash is burning a hole in my pocket, I gotta have this one.

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
I'd bet that if anyone would query the Italian and Spanish motor scooter sites they would
see something like this was being made and sold there before 1995 in those countries.
It could have been a Motobi, Motobecane, Galera, Benelli, and some others which were
never exported to or marketed in the USA.

It seems like I saw something like the "honey bee" a few years back and it was a French made
moped featuring an Italian made drivetrain. (which looked very much like this honey bee)

With that said, the Chinese have been going all over the world buying up factories and
businesses to relocate to their homeland and produce with. Their production cost makes it viable if not very lucrative
there. The Russians have done the same since 1950. I'd bet it's the same with this particular
motor, "The Honey Bee". A little searching may turn something up. But I'd swear I've seen this
same outfit as an Italian motorized bike that was made and sold in Europe.

If you want to do some looking:

Sheldon's Classic European Motorcycles

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
OMG it's the bike people have been trying to do at home. The crank is in the engine so it shares one drive chain. It looks like it freewheels. Looks like gear reduction is figured out. Gears should not be a problem with some thinking. Old school 3 speed? Nuvinchi hub? Derailier?
AND it has a STARTER and a battery for lights horn ect.
I question though how it would pedal with engine off.
And that seat is straight out of a newer stingray lol.

Last edited:

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
I love the looks of the mechanics. It uses a single cam lobe, that is a fairly new concept. And the thing is it drives out the right side so could have gears. You flip a lever and it lets the engine go to pedal. Have fun, Dave

Attachments

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Did anyone ever try to get one of these? I just stumbled up on them on the alibaba site and immediately came over here to search for some info. What's the deal? Can we get them here?

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
It says on the website that they will be available here as soon as they get the approval from the EPA.

I gotta admit this does look very neat.
But
Seeing as how you will have to use their frame or fabricate your own
It is my OPINION that this crosses the line from motorized bike to moped.
Just my 2 cents

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
If they are epa and I would venture looking at them they would be priced at $800 or better ,they might have a vin,as far as different or built frame,we have lots of them on here.The wheel strength and other parts holding up would be a deciding factor

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Would it be a motorized bike if we add a motor and a moped if it comes with a motor :confused:
again vin. no. .....or bike with no vin:confused:

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
as i said
OPINION
according to indiana state 99% of things on here are legally mopeds
there are many different definitions
my OPINION is simply that since it will Not mount up to a standard/basic bike frame without HEAVY modification just to mount the motor then to me it is not a motorized bicycle
and the frame they supply couldn't even be used for a simple bicycle (no motor) seeing as how it wont accept cranks/pedals
just makin my point is all

It is definetly very neat

I would like to see a similar kit from an american company
or any company thats not chinease for that matter
i know if i got paid 10 cents an hour i wouldnt give a crap of how good a job i did

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I just bookmarked that site and will be watching in hopes it is approved by EPA and imported. Very cool. The only thing wrong with the finished bike is there wouldn't be the fun in building it, but it sure is nice and ready to ride. The kit would be fun on a vintage frame altered a bit. Centrifugal clutch, electric start, real lighting system, gearing possible... yep.
SB

2dawgs

Feb 15, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
I believe we all could "Frankenstein" this platform to death and be whatever you want it to be. Just having a doable platform works for me.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
I'm just going to take their rear suspensipon idea, and build a new frame for my 66cc 2 smoke. I'm not thrilled about the look of that particular bike, but I definately see some niftiness going on there.

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi guys, if you all were privy to what I know you'd not be holding your breath for a "honeybee". It is a low power, low-speed Chinese moped that I have known about since '05, possibly late '04.

Even tho all that, I looked into importing a sample! Here is what I learned at that time.

It would have cost me around 400.00 fob Shanghai, plus shipping, and customs, would NOT have been an accepted product in USA to put on street due to no EPA and DOT certs. Might not have been allowed to keep it if customs opened it, and looked at the Data plate on it! Then it would be the ONLY one in USA, no spare parts available except special order from Mainland China. At this point it is easy to see why I politely bowed out of ordering one.

Grube was, at that time, looking for an interested party, some one who'd buy 20-40 of them, and then help with the certification process (expensive, and time consuming).

This I had no interest in doing, at that time, nor do I now.

It will be interesting to see if anyone wants to step up to the plate on this one?

Mike