Hm what do you think of this ride?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by AaronF, Oct 1, 2009.

1. AaronF

AaronF New Member

Well what do you think of this low rider (see attachments below) Does it look like a good build with a added engine? Not sure of the dimensions but i think it will fit..Any input would be appreciated,Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Creative Engineering

Aaron,

I'm fairly certain the engine will not fit based on the photos. It looks like it would be a perfect frame to nest the engine in...but it doesn't look like there is enough room up top?

Jim

3. Dave31

Dave31 Moderator
    Staff Member

4. AaronF

AaronF New Member

Good idea,just don't have a printer hooked up mine needs a power supply.Does anyone off hand know the dimensions that is needed for a proper fit?Thanks

5. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

I got this off of one of the vendor sites:
    [insert]13940[/insert]

Attached Files:

6. wildemere

wildemere New Member

Can be done but not much of a ride.

Twitchy steering, poor brakes and harsh over the bumps.

But a real head turner. More show than go.

A 36t sprocket works OK on a 20"wheel.

Attached Files:

7. AaronF

AaronF New Member

I mainly would want it for just cruising around town,i take it very easy over bumps as the damage to wheels is not worth paying out for..The rims on the low rider are 144 spoke rims witch seems to me it would be pretty hard mounting the sprocket.He is selling it for $115 if i were to decide to buy it,what do you think?Thanks for the input

8. Venice Motor Bikes

Venice Motor Bikes Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles

I've seen engines on Sting Ray style bikes before. It takes a lot of mods to get the engine in!

It's also very hard to get a sprocket on a 144 spoke wheel!!! You have to remove spokes from the other side to gain access to the hub, & put them back in when you're done bolting on the sprocket.

9. Bikeguy Joe

Bikeguy Joe Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

I would run away screaming.
    Not a good candidate for a motorized bike, especially if it's the first one you are building.

10. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Active Member

I agree with wildemere. It will look great, but ride uncomfortably and be a pill to install. If you plan to take 20 mile trips on it, get a beach cruiser or steel MTB.
    Then again, it will look great living the motorized low life.

11. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

The front end alone would scare me off. That would be one unstable son-of-a-gun. If this is to be your first motorized project I'd suggest starting with a more standard frame and progress from there. A low rider with ape hangers and that extended fork would not be a comfy ride for "just cruising around" as you said. If you have the bucks, buy it, store it then after you have some experience pull it out and see what you can build down the road someday. It would be a head turner, just very squirrley to ride.
    Tom

#11 2door, Oct 2, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  12. Bikeguy Joe

Bikeguy Joe Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

Yeah, those forks will bust your yaya's.

13. AaronF

AaronF New Member

Ah yes i wasn't even thinking of the comfortability was leaning towards how nice of a ride it would be.My next install will be my third build i was thinking of going with a walmart cruiser type bike once i gather some money for it.Thank you all for the great input!

14. weekend-fun

weekend-fun New Member

rotfl rotfl rotfl
    I AGREE

15. linnix13

linnix13 New Member

i think it would be awesome! go with a 49cc chrome engine though, it would look good and im not sure if an 80cc would fit, it would indeed have some twitchy steering though, and bad handling characteristics, it depends what you want to use it for, if its going to be a daily commuter than no, its not a good idea, but if you want it just for something fun to ride around on the weekends then go for it! if you dont like it you can always pull the motor off and put it on a mountain bike,

16. Greased

Greased New Member

There is a guy on Ebay that is selling custom parts for Choppers. Full back Exhaust, Motor mount

17. bandito

bandito New Member

Stingrays back in the day were THE ITEM to have but from memory they were a poor choice as far as comfort and to pedal for speed. I always preferred my 10 speed to ride with those funny looking handle bars flipped up over the stingray bike I had. Lately though from the prices I see on craigslist for stingrays I wish I had a few to sell.

18. Greased

Greased New Member

I found one with Great paint, though the rest had rust. I have stripped all the rust and done some airbrushing. I paid 50 for the bike. I hope to sell at around 600 after converting with the kit and some customs. I am in around 250.00.

19. weekend-fun

weekend-fun New Member

he he i saw the c-list add for that :)

20. pedro5189

pedro5189 New Member

I say go for it and you will learn alot along the way

But remember measure twice cut once

#20 pedro5189, Oct 16, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2009