Hi from the UK - INDIAN Board Tracker tribute, my first build

GoldenMotor.com

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Well damn! Turns out the replacement controller with LCD screen I purchased from the same Hong Kong outfit I originally bought my hub motor kit from features wiring/plugs that isn't compatible with those on the bike's harness. That's a bugger, 'cause I specifically told the seller I'd rather purchase an upgraded controller from them to ensure it was compatible with the hub motor they sold me rather than risk buying elsewhere and ending up with the possibility of mis-matched wiring/plugs.
More than 6 months have passed since I made the purchase, so I may not even bother chasing-up the seller on this score. For the time being, just to get rolling, I'm going with the original controller that came with the kit - but that doesn't have capacity for wiring in the LCD I specifically wanted.
Re-wiring, re-soldering and swapping-out connectors wasn't really something I wanted extra hassle with - but that's a road I may just end up having to go down.
Sadly, for the time being, my LCD screen is just a handlebar ornament....:mad:

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I found the same thing on controllers Pete. I now have extra controllers and they are all compatible, but not all are wired with the same color to color code or if tagged in English (one isn't) they've used terminology that doesn't accurately indicate function. It's hard for an electric novice to get up and running.

I mentioned lithium batteries in earlier posts, but parts in general I order stuff weeks or months before I'm ready to use them and sometimes I find that the items are defective etc. and the warranty terms have expired or the vendor is now selling fire crackers and suddenly doesn't speak English.

I've pledged to myself to test the intricate and the expensive stuff as it comes in, which isn't always simple or convenient, but is what a reasonable person would take the time to do.

Shipping delays and $$ wasted and often buying another pig in a poke to replace the original. I suppose it's just a learning curve, but we don't have to like it.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Pete I use these screw terminal strips to hook up the small diameter wires between the controller and the throttle , ignition lock, or any accessories. I tin the wire ends. Strips can be cut to length with shop scissors to the number of connections required. I use a heavier duty terminal block for the large gauge wires handling the higher current. Really helps in initial setup and any future replacement of components. These wires are small and short and get shorter each time you cut and solder in the future. I have wires running through panel grommets so detaching wires one way or the other would be problematical even though some are plug in all plugs are not compatible. The terminal strips seem the best plan for me and make wiring look organized, sanitary and secure.
Scerew in junction strips.jpg

Rick C.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
I have a toolbox drawer-full of different sized choc-bloc connectors somewhere in storage. But those wouldn't be the best answer to my controller wiring/connector problem. The void behind BLUE BAMBOO's stainless side panels is so crammed to the hilt with the bike's electrical gubbins, space is at a real premium. Literally a quart into a pint pot! What I do have here is a box containing hundreds of different sized miniature multi-pin connectors (with the vital specialized crimping tool) that I bought for use when I was swapping-out the Honda Solo's lights. I reckon these connectors will work best for the controller's smaller gauge wires.

In other news, my UK shipper just sent an email advising my Kawasaki Drifter is about to set sail on 25/7 from Port Everglades aboard the Charleston Express. ETA London Gateway 25/8. That's a month long voyage, and I recall my '41 Buick only took 8 days to cross the Atlantic - in a hurricane - from Halifax to Liverpool, so I'm guessing Charleston Express is taking the scenic route and calling at several other ports along the Atlantic seaboard before making the crossing. Always fun tracking a vessel's progress online. With luck, my Drifty should get here sometime around my birthday on 27/8.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
First test ride today after charging BLUE BAMBOO's battery was a short-un. Only rode her a couple of hundred yards before doing a U-turn and heading back to base so I could un-plug the pedal assist function. Jeez, there's zero feed-in on that function. Just takes a quarter of a revolution of the pedals then bam, the assist function cuts in like an on/off switch. Took me by surprise and it's quite disconcerting for a novice.
Bike's kit came with a thumb throttle which is capable of some fine control, so I don't reckon it would feel any different if I swapped over to a twist grip throttle. Fact is, I don't feel as if I'd ever get used to how abruptly the pedal assist kicks in - so it's been unplugged.
Maybe this particular set-up is a 'basic' one. I know I've seen e-bikes with pedal assist functions switchable between incremental levels, so maybe I need to aspire to something like that in future. I'm right at the foot of the e-bike learning curve - but having fun none-the less.
Test ride report to follow.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Pete I also dislike the abrupt nature of the pedal assists and I feature a fine feed control is out there. Pedal /bam is bad enough on a mid or rear hub, but a 1 kw or even a 500 kw front hub in gravel is rather dicey!

Twist throttles are my fav but they do have a drawback on long rides as my throttle hand goes numb so from that standpoint the pedal assist is a plus.

Glad you're having fun.

Rick C.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Rain showers for the last few days, so no riding.
Did get a chance to refine the look of BLUE BAMBOO's hub e-motor though. As purchased, the all black hub and wheel did nothing for me. I was happier with the look after spraying the hub silver, and even more so when I added the blue rim blades to the wheel. I still felt the plain hub needed to look more sprocket-like, so with the addition of black circles I finally ended up with the look I wanted.

DSCN3791.JPG

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Can't blame you not getting road time Pete. Two fellow's one from Scotland and the other from Wales on another forum of greatly different interest wooden boat related. Claiming mourning temps of 10C, brrr! We in SE Wisconsin posted 17C @ 7:00Am. Black Watch Tartan woolen shirt was most appreciated. Your eye for detail is mind blowing Pete. Carry on Sir.
Tom

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I agree with Tom it was chilly on my morning ride here in Indian Territory definitely Fall feel to it and quite wonderful!

Your Blue Bamboo looks great & I'd assume rides nice as well. It is definitely up to your usual high standards.

Enjoy!

Rick C.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Just pulled the trigger on a new 26x4 drop loop steel frame spotted on AliExpress. Ad listed two different width drop-outs. Purchased the 170mm version with beefed-up drop-outs capable of taking up to a 4" wide fat bike rear tyre. Narrower version is designed for up to 2.125 tyres. Bargain at 107 quid. Even with shipping it still came in comfortably under 200 quid. Been looking for the ideal frame to mate-up to my vintage girder forks - and this is it.
AliExpress listing said 23 frames were available and I bought the seventh.
Pics are uploaded to my PICTURES folder and I can view 'em on my 'puter - but I can't upload them here for some reason. I'll figure it out....

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Now this is a build I'll be following....some great potential with variations on the fat tire rear drops. Pesonally I'll not build another vintage style bike using a rear frame width under 135mm. & the 170mm expands on that.

Photos? Everybody likes photos and I've spent an inordinate amount of time recently researching what's up in order to share better photos and move into video. I'm so stuck in last century on this subject. There may be some hope for me yet.

Rick C.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Wish I could do links, Rick, but I can't.
I know you'd like to check out the frame in question, so log onto AliExpress and search for the listing's heading which is ...

Snow bicycle frame steel frame fuel bicycle frame 26*4 WHEEL SET frame bicycle accessories

Noticed AliExpress are also relisting the repop alloy Panther frame and tank we both used on our earlier builds for a bargain price. Both frame and tank are listed together for less than the cost of the tank by itself currently listed by cnol....

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Thanks for posting the link Tom, even if it does seem destined to stir the pot...
The frame I purchased via AliExpress site was listed by Cool-One Outdoor Store, who list many hundreds of bicycle related items. Haven't seen them list anything else related to this particular 26x4 frame to enable them to 'complete the package' as you termed it.
I purchased it - like all the bike parts I've bought via online outlets such as cnol, AliExpress or AliBaba - with the intention of creating a one-off e-build to suit my own taste.
Pat will probably jump right in to this thread, so he'll confirm if he offers a fat tyre frame with 170mm drop-outs. That's what attracted me to the frame I purchased, along with the nominal shipping cost and lack of import tariffs that usually accompany purchases from the Far East in my experience.
You're right about other online sellers who blatantly tout their wares and even go so far as using images in their listings belonging to Sportsman Flyer and Venice Bikes to sell their bike stuff. No wonder Pat gets triggered. I had the same thing happen to me several times over the years with my model train kits. It's not fun seeing Poundland (Dollar Store?) versions of items being offered online with your own photos being used to help drum up business.