Hi from the UK - INDIAN Board Tracker tribute, my first build

GoldenMotor.com

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Used a pair of 16mm rod ends to locate the lower ends of the leading fork legs to the hub's axle nut. Domed ends of both m9 Axle nuts were drilled then tapped to accept m5 fixing bolts secured through rubber dust caps,holding everything firmly in place. Pleased how these forks are turning out.
DSCN3651.JPG
RSCN3650.JPG
RSCN3653.JPG

Last edited:

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Wide Cruiser bars installed. Took a few pedal rides around the car park here today and after some minor adjustments, these give me a supremely comfy riding position. Very much along the lines of a vintage roadster with pronounced pull-back bars. Way different from the original bars fitted to this bike which, although comfortable enough, meant my bad right shoulder was at risk of giving me jip from having to stretch/elevate my arms. The bar change means we've gone from Stretch Cruiser to Gentleman's Velocipede - more in keeping with an old guy like me.
DSCN3659.JPG

There's currently no rear brake fitted on this Blue Bamboo build, so I need to contact Pedal Chopper to organize parts for a bolt-on rear disc brake caliper mount which I know he does for the OCC Schwinn Stingray. The ehub motor has provision for bolting on a disc - just hope the brake pull cable for the rear stretches that far...!
DSCN3663.JPG

20x4-1/4" rear tyre now mated to wheel. I had some chrome vinyl wrap film left over from my Aero Cycle Car project, so I applied some of this to the wheel's rim band and I reckon it looks cool peeking through the holes machined in the rim. Tyre fitter here in Alnwick loved it. Went with a standard sized replacment rear tyre for now. But I reckon I'll soon be swapping it out for a taller 120/80x16 or 130/90x16 motorcycle tyre to give a heftier look to the bike's rear end.
DSCN3664.JPG

Decided I'll definitely need working lights/indicators on this build, so I've fitted a nifty wireless tail light with multi selectable features fixed firmly under the saddle. Operated via a small button pad fitted to the handlebars, this means I won't be doing much hand signalling. Not sure if I'm a fan of the light's 'laser' function which projects a bright red line down onto the road either side of the bike. Presumably in an effort to 'claim your space on the road' it'll probably have the opposite effect and antagonize car drivers.
I already have a small headlight to hand for this build. Just need to provide a rear stop light - and I've seen a small 'inertia' brake light on eBay that'll fit the bill.
DSCN3671.JPG
DSCN3672.JPG

Last edited:

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
eHub rear wheel temporarily installed - and I'm not digging the look as is. Firstly, I'm not at all enamored with the black rim look on this bike. That'll have to change, so a rim repaint is in order. Secondly, the new 20x4-1/4" tyre I purchased looks fine, but there's plenty more available space in that rear triangle for a bigger tyre. Got my eye on a 120/80x16 Bridgestone Battlx listed on UK eBay right now, and I think that'll be a bigger/better option. There's presently 14mm (1/2") chain clearance between the 4-1/4" tyre and chain as pictured, and upsizing to a 120mm wide tyre size is the max width I can squeeze in before having to drop the chain down a gear on the wheel's cassette to create some extra room. Thought I might have room for a 130/90x16 tyre, but turns out that's just going to be too wide. Oh, and fenderless look gets my vote.
DSCN3674.JPG
DSCN3675.JPG

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
First it looks great!

Paint's not my forte, but I have confidence in your judgment, so both rim's colored the same. I don't like the silver and black rims together so I'm not a fan of silver and blue on the wheels either. Wider tire I'm all over it for this bikes bad boy style, if both width and diameter will fit up in the frame. Bigger is better. Heck yeah fender less! Though I like the bobber fender if it were painted to match the frame, with bamboo flair.

Imagine the saddle slammed, seat tube shortened a lot, and the saddle post laid back a little. It could be mounted with a small "solo" biker saddle and springs. Great easy rider position with pegs, I mean pedals, forward pedal extension should still look and feel good and be comfortable. That's just me. I love the way you build 'cause they all turn out lovely.

Rick C.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Thanks for the kind fender offer Curt - but fenderless vote has already been cast.
OK, here's the plan wheelwise....
Always intended to match-up the wheels by replacing the front 24" hoop with a black one which I have here. Spokes swapped-out for black ones to match those on the rear wheel.
Just not happy with the lack of distinction between rear tyre/rim as things stand. So instead of repainting the rear wheel, I'm going to fit both front/rear wheels with Rimblades self adhesive rim protectors. Colour coded blue to match the frame's paint. May even try some air-brushing on the Rimblades to maintain the faux bamboo theme.
That eHub looks like a prime candidate for chrome vinyl wrap which I have plenty of. Just not sure if heat may be an issue. If so, I'll resort to Plan B and paint it silver to match the Sturmey Archer front hub.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Sprayed the eHub silver, clear coated it, disc rotor installed, added the blue Rimblades to the wheel rim and Hey Presto - Blue Bamboo's rear wheel is now a lot more to my taste. Even going to live with the 4-1/4" tyre for now.
DSCN3679.JPG
DSCN3678.JPG

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Thanks MM.
Still interested in upsizing the rear tyre. Just haven't had any response to my enquiry asking for the tyre's o/d from either of the two guys on UK eBay who've listed 120/80-16 Bridgestone Battlax tyres. Not gonna pull the trigger on a purchase till I establish there's room in the bike's rear triangle.
Different subject;
My 1000w 48v eHub package was delivered with everything apart from the LCD Display Meter the eBay listing said was included. After contacting the Hong Kong seller, they agreed to refund me the cost (28 UK pounds) of such a meter if I wished to purchase one myself from a UK seller. After we agreed these terms, I did a little research and discovered the wiring harness on the controller supplied with my eHub kit didn't have any wiring/plugs to accept an LCD Meter or Sensor. I recontacted the seller and suggested I'd be happy to purchase the Meter and compatible 48v Controller they also had listed on eBay for £48 if they would discount 28 pounds off the asking price. Sale agreed, and the seller refunded my PayPal account accordingly.
While my eHub kit arrived 10 days after purchasing it on eBay, it seems the delays attributed to Corona virus are now affecting shipments from the Far East. Tracking info shows my Meter & Controller are still in China and the online info is headed with a large warning note advising purchasers to be patient and expect possible long delays due to this factor. So, just a heads-up for anyone thinking about ordering anything from the Far East.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
I agree Curt. Huge improvement. Tearing the front wheel apart right now. Going with replacement black spokes, black hoop and blue Rimblades to match the rear.
Hoping to hear back from Pedal Chopper in Florida after I enquired about purchasing his cnc'd rear caliper mount for the OCC Stingray last weekend. Unfortunately PCs online ordering form only caters for buyers in the US. I've emailed asking how we can do business - just waiting patiently for his reply.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Not the best of news for sure Pete, but I've seen the warnings posted pre-order & been notified of delays by the seller after purchase and offered a refund if delay was a problem. All of which show real concern for the customer. Ordering international, I feel, is hit or miss at this time from the Orient and it's truly a judgement call on placing orders. I'm holding off on ordering some things as well.

I've also been notified by some of my domestic vendors that there could be longer shipping times due to a lack of personnel and shortages of product. I'm verifying by phone or e-mail larger $$ purchases before placing my orders.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Pete check out their aluminum bolt on drop out extension plates, if you require more room for those wider tires. It's a nice looking item. I believe they can add about 3" to the rear triangle. It's on their website, but rather hard to locate as an item for sale.

The brake items work with these plates as well.

Rick C.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Pedal Chopper just replied and sent me a PayPal invoice which I paid by return. After paying, I had to ask why shipping charge was so astronomically high costing US$35. When I was in business, 90% of my customers were in the US where I shipped several orders daily. Any shipment weighing under 2kg and designated 'small packet' cost 7 UK pounds sterling to be sent to the US via Fist Class Airmail. I just paid four times that to have Pedal Chopper's caliper mount sent in the opposite direction. To add insult to injury, anything I mailed to US customers attracted zero rate import duty 'cause my kits were classed as 'toys' but what's the betting I get stung for both VAT and import duty - not to mention the standard 10UK pounds 'handling charge' on top of everything once Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs get their greedy hands on my shipment. Something wrong somewhere....!!!
Rick, I'm not concerned about width on the rear tyre. Plenty space in the bike's rear triangle width wise. I just need to establish the largest tyre o/d the triangle can handle. There's room a plenty for a larger tyre - and more if I remove the rear fender mount. I've seen PC's dropout extender plates. Won't need 'em on this build - but they do enable up-sizing to a 24" wheel should that ever be my intention in future.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Rear wheel looks wonderful, Pete. The hub motor looks so much better silver.

Customs and excise charges along with shipping. How well I understand that. The magneto I purchased for the tri car motor was $23.95, shipping was $20.75 for a total of $44.70 U.S. but wait there is more.

That is U.S. dollars. Canada's dollar at the time was worth 71cents U.S. then Pay Pal gets 2.8% for exchanging the money.

That $23.95 U.S. part cost me $62.25 Canadian dollars.

Remember It doesn't always pay to be Canadian but it most certainly always cost you to be.

Steve.