Hi from the UK - INDIAN Board Tracker tribute, my first build

GoldenMotor.com

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Thanks Tom. Guzzino is shaping up nicely. It'll look far nicer without the pillion seat though.
No, I'm not in the market for the Sparta autocycle. Just thought I'd share a pic of what I think is a neat ride - even though it's a ladies frame - and one I've never seen before. And again, no, 'under 500 quid' isn't small change in anyone's language. What I'm saying is it's a very competitive price compared to every Velosolex or Winged Wheel cyclemotor I've seen listed on eBay recently. I'm particularly impressed by the well put together design of the Sparta, especially the tidiness of the rear mounted tank/rack/motor combo which has a much more integrated look about it compared to the undeniably 'Jerry Rigged' and often ungainly appearance of many a cyclemotor - specifically those front fork mounted motor/tanks on Velosolex machines which, to me, look like the machines are tripping over themselves.
Footnote: As a Citroen driver, I hate to say it, but very often the French seemed to go out of their way to conceive what I'll be polite and call 'questionable' designs when it came to cheap transport for the masses. Often, after a period of time, these quirky 'so ugly they're cool' designs find favour.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Not that I'm going to Tom, but if I ever did seriously think about buying that Sparta autocycle, the first upgrade would have been to swap out the front wheel for one with a Sturmey Archer combined brake/dyno hub and consign the existing dynamo to history.
Good news to hear Mona's prognosis is heading in the right direction.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
BIKE i.d. HELP PLEASE
Anyone know exactly what I'm looking at here? Seller has this listed as a Schwinn Stingray Lowrider - but that's not what I'm seeing. Advertised as a 'show winning seller refurbed build', but that frame has me stumped. Possibly Nirve?
Rare bike for the UK - so any i.d. help appreciated.
stretch.jpg

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Pete is this steel construction? The frames begging for a rather large motor.

I don't see Schwinn either. Stretch cruiser builds and builders are quite common over here, but Nirve style is a decent label. I like it.

Rick C.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Rick,
Casually looking at UK eBay yesterday I unexpectedly stumbled across this bike and a Nirve Switchblade - both super rare finds in the UK. No details of the frame's material. I like lowriders, but they're not usually my style. This one I'm asking for help in identifying makes a nice candidate for another potential build/flip down the line. Possibly my first excursion into the hub electric scene? Gotta snag things like this when they show up. It's priced so reasonably I just know I'll regret it otherwise.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
One of the standout features of this frame is the rear triangle, beefy rectangular stays with horizontal drops that are cut into what appears to be heavy plate. These features aren't typical on factory stretch frame cruisers, I'd call them quite rare, so I'm leaning towards a shop conversion theory for the tail section. If it's a quality conversion in steel I like the results for motorizing, though one photo can't reveal sufficient detail with which to draw conclusions Pete.

If the stays are mild steel plate, rather than square tube, gussets would be a wise modification.

Rick C.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Seller confirmed the frame is all steel, Rick. Told him it definitely wasn't a Schwinn Stingray, but he couldn't confirm the brand. The good news is the seller just accepted my 200 quid best offer after I told him he could keep the Chinese saddle.
Some on-line digging still hasn't enlightened me as to the identity of this frame. I thought maybe Basman but the single top tube doesn't correspond with that line of enquiry. Whatever, this bike will do for a winter beater round town while my motorized builds are laid up.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I am thinking its from Rat Rod build off, The rear stays look like Schwinn stingray chopper, as well as the fender. Rectangular tubes with flat plate for dropouts, and the front fork, and wheel has the stingray look, But Schwinn had a few other versions, take note the frames crack were the rectangular tubs meet the main frame, used as a motor bike........Curt

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Thanks for the input Curt. I'll take the stress crack issue you've raised onboard.
I post on the Rat Rod Bikes forum too. I may be wrong, but I'd be surprised if anyone from the UK submitted an entry in the RRB build off. Especially something like this stretch cruiser.
Gonna have to start brushing-up on leccy hub drives. Will definitely have to bend Rick's ear 'bout what the options could be....

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
That is good news. I wonder what the wheelbase is? Overall it looks long enough to track well at motor speed. Do you know the diameter of the wheels? There's a nice aluminum aftermarket dropout extension available for these that allows 3"to 4" of length which allows more chain clearance, if you go mid drive, plus extra wheel base. I like the bikes profile as is if all clears and it tracks well at speed. If not you've options available.

Nice snag Pete! Though not a chopper guy I built a couple back in the day, post 'Nam. I wanted to be different so I built these to blend in...go figure, yet in my defense I was drinking, more than enough, in those days. I've liked the OCC Schwinn conversions that are actually sized for adults however. I've a feeling yours is going to be special.

Rick C.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
BIKE i.d. HELP PLEASE
Anyone know exactly what I'm looking at here? Seller has this listed as a Schwinn Stingray Lowrider - but that's not what I'm seeing. Advertised as a 'show winning seller refurbed build', but that frame has me stumped. Possibly Nirve?
Rare bike for the UK - so any i.d. help appreciated.
View attachment 103498
Heck yeah! You could fit a 4 cylinder car engine it there! "- )

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Depending on the Sparta's output and speed, it might fall under the Low Power Moped rules and be comparatively easy to register. There is a small but healthy market for cyclemotors here, so moving it on won't be a problem. If I didn't have my sadly stalled projects on the go, I think I'd even make an offer for it once registered. Perfect for going round steam fairs and the like.

A day walking and standing at Newark Autojumble leaves me hardly able to do either, and it has tons more style than a mobility scooter.