Hi from the UK - INDIAN Board Tracker tribute, my first build

GoldenMotor.com

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Glad you enjoyed the model photos guys.
Good news!... I just won the auction for a new camera at 4pm today, so when it arrives in Thursday's mail I'll be in a position to resume shooting pics of how my Honda Solo's makeover is coming along. With luck I'll be finished airbrushing all 200 faux rivets on the bike's tank by then.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
HONDA SOLO's MAKE-OVER COMMENCES
My duplicate camera purchased on eBay arrived a day earlier than anticipated, so I've just shot the first pics of my Honda Solo's make-over. Still sticking with the bike's original 50cc motor for the time being, despite having the replacement Lifan 125cc motor to hand.
The new muffler looks a whole lot better than the original and sounds about ten times meatier. Love it. New cafe bars and alloy risers allow me to locate the bars in the most comfortable position - just right to avoid pain from my two torn shoulder tendons.
Hopefully the pics show how realistic the airbrushed rivets on the tank are turning out. There's over 200 of the little buggers - and I'm nearly done thank goodness. Just need to apply the panel lines after the rivets are finished.
New rear indicators now sported under the seat. Still have to remove the original lights and bob the rear fender. Fatter Mitas knobbly tyres awaiting fitment.
DSCN3566.JPG
DSCN3562.JPG
DSCN3564.JPG
DSCN3556.JPG

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Need some help please. Just tried uploading my first movie depicting the Solo's exhaust sound and an error message pops up saying the file doesn't have the necessary allowed extension. Searched the forum for help with movie uploads but can't find the answer. What do I need to do?

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
More tempting bling from China...
After browsing the Munro 2 electric bike on Ali Express a couple of weeks back, they now send me regular 'you might also like this' alerts hoping for a response to more tempting bling. Today I received details of this. Not sure what it is. Description says it's an electric bike. Ad's video shows someone riding it but the engine noise is distinctly gas powered. The 'sorta' transverse v-twin motor (more of a Y-type if you look closely) looks to be a faux motor that would never work - except as a single. So I'm wondering what we're looking at here. Stamped text on the reduction gearbox casing says 'ODD MACHINE' - so at least they got that part right! lol.
red vee twin.jpg
transverse twin cyl motor.jpg
vee twin bikes ali express.jpg

Who knows? This might be an attempt a creating a faux engine from CG parts to conceal a mid drive electric.
Some questionable styling cues that mix'n'match several decades of bike design. I'm digging the frame, tank and muffler... but I couldn't live with those blingy multi-spoke lowrider type wheels. D minus for effort from me.

Last edited:

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Yeah Pete it's a two stroke with a lotta work put into it, but it's just a hairs width away from becoming an electric. Just keep the fake heads and order a set of engine cases for a CG and get to cutting...more than enough space for up to 2,000 watt brushless direct drive in there. All in all pretty cool, but those thousand spokes wheels and '63 Cadillac chrome doesn't work for me.

Rick C.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Obviously the bike pictured is a 2 stroke, but what I'm confused about is why the AliExpress listing describes the product as an electric powered bicycle and gives full specs.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Obviously the bike pictured is a 2 stroke, but what I'm confused about is why the AliExpress listing describes the product as an electric powered bicycle and gives full specs.
Pete they may have some electrics ready or almost ready to ship and/or they are testing the market parameters pre-production for dealer & individual interest at multiple price points. It's a proven & extremely low cost way to survey interest in a product prior to a production funding commitment. Some distributor/vendors use the same strategy on a smaller scale before ordering "sold out" items by monitoring hits on or inquiry's about the availability and delivery times of these boldly marked "sold out" items in their product listings & this is a strong indicator of the inventory turnover of these items, when matched with their previous sales metrics.

Actual pre-sales of these ready to produce items can be banked as collateral for production cost financing as well. There's a lot of uses for AliExpress and most favor the seller.

I do think we will see many more Faux motors encasing electrics. Motorcycle manufacturers have concealed motors and drive trains under sheet metal and plastic type materials for decades and sold it as modern styling so what's the big deal to do the same in reverse for the "vintage" look? I will add it's not that big a deal to add sound effects to any motor type electrics included.

Rick C.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
The 3 roads leading to Alston could legit be described as biker's paradise. This is close to my home turf - and I always take this A686 scenic route to The Lake District heading east to west instead of the A69. Great views from Hartside Summit cafe, the way-stage for a cuppa between Melmerby and Alston. Always close to 100 bikes in the car park. Did this run in my Guzzi LeMans V powered Aero Cycle Car reverse trike one time. Fun hanging the tail out on the many hairpins.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
The 3 roads leading to Alston could legit be described as biker's paradise. This is close to my home turf - and I always take this A686 scenic route to The Lake District heading east to west instead of the A69. Great views from Hartside Summit cafe, the way-stage for a cuppa between Melmerby and Alston. Always close to 100 bikes in the car park. Did this run in my Guzzi LeMans V powered Aero Cycle Car reverse trike one time. Fun hanging the tail out on the many hairpins.
Pete I viewed Ludwig's supplied video twice, first with sound the second without. No doubt which I enjoyed more. We are geared to sensory input and grow to depend on it for survival. All our senses are necessary in decision making processes and evaluation. When deprived of one sense permanently we adjust, leaning heavily on the remaining senses to cope. So loss of sound and the engine vibrations from our bikes deprives us not only of enjoyment we've come to appreciate, but also the expected sensory feedback for control. It takes time to adjust to this and I'd say our eventual adjustment to smooth and quiet will probably lead to better rider feedback from asphalt to tire, steering feel, balance and braking forces.

Toggling between I.C.E. and electric bikes will no doubt slow down the sensory compensation changeover and going cold turkey switch to electric would speed things up for riders that are on the performance edge, as in racing, but for this old guy I'll enjoy both for as long as I can. I'm keeping far away the "edge" at this point of time knowing I'll soon go off the cliff much sooner than later!

Ride more & have fun.

Rick C.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
For sheer seat-of-the-pants on-board camera thrills and killer engine sound aboard a vintage Morgan 3-Wheeler racer I recommend viewing YouTube's

Bill and Maggie Tuer Klausenrennen 2013

Exhilarating hillclimb footage showing Bill and wife Maggie's Mog chewing-up some vintage race bikes on their way to the top. Maybe someone would be kind enough to post the video link in this thread. If you're anything like me, you'll be watching this on your sofa with a foot pressing an imaginary brake pedal! This is one impressively fast cyclecar. One of the video's comments verifies when the speedo's needle points straight up it's at 100mph. Needle is beyond that most of the time. Wasn't sure what those things flapping from the driver's helmet were - then I realized they must be his extra large nuts.