Hi from the UK - INDIAN Board Tracker tribute, my first build

GoldenMotor.com

Robertzep

Oct 3, 2016
Akron, Ohio
Hello Pete, extremely nice build! I am a huge Schwinn straight bar fan. I see you are using a Sturmey Archer drum hub. How do you like it? Is it a 70mm or 90mm.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
For my money, that Sturmey Archer front drum brake is the dogs danglers. Not only does it do the job perfectly but looks amazing into the bargain. That unused SA X-FD 70mm drum and wheel were one of my first purchases for the build and only cost 50 quid or so as a Buy-It-Now on eBay. At the time I reckoned that was a real bargain - but I just scored a second unused SA drum/wheel for my follow-up build on eBay last weekend for half that amount. I like the SA hub brake unit so much I'm seriously looking for a SA 3-Speed X-RD Drum Hub unit for use on my next project.

Reactions: Robertzep

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
SECOND MOTORIZED BIKE BUILD UNDERWAY...
I just commenced work on my second m/b project. This time I'm using a US eBay-sourced vintage ladies Wards Hawthorne 26" frame mated to one of Jim Henderson's TRM Convertible Tanks. Both arrived a day apart in last week's mail - so I was able to get work underway. I began by stripping the frame's (non original) paint and straightened-up its bent drop-outs. Then I spent time marking and cutting the TRM grp tank halves so they were a snug fit on the frame. This was time well spent getting the best fit possible. The pics show where I'm at with my 'Decoliner' ...

FSCN3442.JPG
FSCN3443.JPG FSCN3444.JPG FSCN3445.JPG FSCN3446.JPG FSCN3449.JPG

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Given the amount of girls bikes over here and the usually low price the faux tank is an excellent idea. With the way the frame is shaped they lend themselves to being motorized. Add the cost of the shipping and taxes overseas and the game changes.

Looking forward to seeing the build as it moves ahead.

Steve.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Steve,
Ladies frames with curved down tubes like my Hawthorne are rare in the UK. I looked long enough on UK eBay for one without success. They do, however, come up regularly on US eBay and that's where I sourced mine. Besides, knowing that Jim Henderson's TRM Convertible Tank was specifically designed to fit similar frames to mine, I wanted to be sure I purchased a frame the tank fitted to without risking having to rework it too much..
The antique bike parts seller I purchased my Hawthorne frame from listed the shipping cost and import duties up front in his listing, so I knew what I would end up paying - providing I won the auction at a bargain price. There were no nasty surprises and I was happy to pay the price I paid to get what I wanted and needed for my next bike build. I scored the frame in an eBay auction for FAR less than some other antique bike parts sellers list them as Buy-It- Now items on eBay. For example, there are a pair of ladies Columbia frames listed as Buy-It-Now items on US eBay right now selling for three times what I paid, and that doesn't include any shipping or import duty costs.
The way I look at it, I got a bargain vintage Hawthorne frame - even WITH those costs taken into account.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
DECOLINER BUILD UPDATE...
Drum braked front wheel now laced up. Coaster braked rear rim installed. Both shod with 2.3 Fat Frank skins. Forks in process of being converted to faux springer. Tank now primered awaiting top coat. Have opted to go with Citroen's Nocciola Bronze metallic - applied after I figure out which lights will fit.
FSCN3464.JPG
FSCN3463.JPG

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Motor mount / tinware progress...
With TRM's tank now painted and clear-coated in Nocciola Bronze metallic, I've turned my attention to how best to fab a motor mount and some ali tinware to compliment the tank's flowing lines. Just starting out with some card mock-ups to help determine the optimum shape of the ali panels.
For a power plant this time round I've opted to go with a 50cc pocket bike motor fitted with a 3.25:1 gearbox. Mated to a 54T final gear, I'm hopeful of plenty low down power to provide adequate acceleration and a cruising speed of 35mph. Fingers crossed...
FSCN3466.JPG

FSCN3468.JPG

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I've noted on various posts here that the engine is both powerful enough to give 40mph performance and delicate enough to go bang quite easily. I have one on my Cooper & Ludwig "triumph of Brutish Crapmanship", and it's going to have a throttle restrictor so it goes nowhere near any danger zone. There are lots of posts about curing the weak spots quite cheaply though if you look for them.

Reactions: fasteddy

Hud

Aug 22, 2017
Motor mount / tinware progress...
With TRM's tank now painted and clear-coated in Nocciola Bronze metallic, I've turned my attention to how best to fab a motor mount and some ali tinware to compliment the tank's flowing lines. Just starting out with some card mock-ups to help determine the optimum shape of the ali panels.
For a power plant this time round I've opted to go with a 50cc pocket bike motor fitted with a 3.25:1 gearbox. Mated to a 54T final gear, I'm hopeful of plenty low down power to provide adequate acceleration and a cruising speed of 35mph. Fingers crossed...
View attachment 95694
View attachment 95695

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Motor mount fabricated...
Fabbed my DECOLINER's motor mount this morning. Pics should hopefully convey how it'll work.
Even better, the sheet aluminium I ordered from eBay showed-up right on time in today's mail, so I'll be able to crack on cutting and shaping the mount's ali panels this afternoon. Last pic shows the card template taped in place to give an idea of how the panels will look.

FSCN3470.JPG FSCN3474.JPG FSCN3478.JPG FSCN3480.JPG FSCN3479.JPG

Hud

Aug 22, 2017
Motor mount fabricated...
Fabbed my DECOLINER's motor mount this morning. Pics should hopefully convey how it'll work.
Even better, the sheet aluminium I ordered from eBay showed-up right on time in today's mail, so I'll be able to crack on cutting and shaping the mount's ali panels this afternoon. Last pic shows the card template taped in place to give an idea of how the panels will look.

View attachment 95747 View attachment 95748 View attachment 95749 View attachment 95750 View attachment 95751
Keep your eyes open for a Subaru KX21 Kart motor over there! They are 4 stroke motor & have a ton of power! Hard to get in the U.S.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Hi Hud,
Thanks for the tip. But am I right in asking if one of those Scooby engines, at 7-12hp, would just be way too powerful for any lightweight motorized bike project like mine which is built around a standard (ladies) bicycle frame? Undoubtedly, I agree Subaru's KX21 would be a great motor choice in a purpose designed beefier frame, with uprated motorcycle tyres on heavy duty rims intended to cope with those kind of hp numbers.

Last edited:

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
MOTOR MOUNT's ALUMINIUM PANELS DONE...
Today I managed to cut & drill the pair of ali panels for the motor mount. Pics show these temporarily attached to the motor mount using Cleko pins, via holes drilled for the rivets which will eventually secure the panels to the frame. Panels will be soon be painted / riveted to match the tank..
FSCN3488.JPG FSCN3482.JPG FSCN3490.JPG FSCN3486.JPG FSCN3484.JPG