helmet anyone?

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

haolehonu

May 12, 2008
I wanna make sure I get a decent consensus here. I have been around legit motorcycles, quads, snowboarding, skateboarding, wakeboarding, and everything in between. When I bought my bike I had full understanding that I would wear a helmet. While I love jumping and falling, I spent way too much time in braces and way too much time in college to jeopardize it on my bike....my question is how many people wear full face helmets?

Can Harm Hen

Mar 1, 2008
Davis, California
I wear a half helmet.
I've been in a bike accident before where a helmet saved my life. I'll never ride anything with two wheels without some form of head protection.

Last edited:

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Pretty much all of us in Nor-Cal wear full face helmets except for 31Wjohn. I've seen what can happen if someone goes down on their face w/o a full face helmet...and it ain't pretty.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i wear a bicycle helmet when riding my motorized bicycle or pedal bicycle. probably gonna wish i had a full helmet if i ever get in a crash though

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I went from a dot approved motorcycle pot to a bike helmet. I figure I personally go slower than a bike with a competent rider most of the time. The bike helmet is lighter, cooler feeling, and I can run the chain through the vents to secure it along with the bike.

Probably not the best thing but heck I just throw the dice and take my chances on life in general why act differently here. I wear no helmet with the ebike as it goes barely five miles an hour most of the time. However I am very very careful around traffic and at stop signs.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I wear a bike helmet.....but I scare myself a lot at high speeds. Now that testing is essentially done, I'm slowing down.

....legit motorcycles, quads, snowboarding, skateboarding, wakeboarding, and everything in between.
So are you calling us illegit? :Drotfl

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I normally wear a open face helmet, I do wear a full face on very long trip's and when monsoon season come's..... And alway's eye protection. :ride2:

haolehonu

May 12, 2008
dude, when I was 7 i had a 50 cc dirtbike!. cmon? so yeh...in my opinions this is not a legit motorcycle. :D

however, I have decided to order a bern bike/snowboard helmet.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
O.K., yell at me Mom! I don't wear a helmet on my motorized bicycle.

I don't generally wear one on my 50cc scooter either, thought it's squirrely and faster. I usually wear one on my motorcycles.

I know it makes no sense to some, but I'm honest at least.

Now, having said all that, I'll add this- I had two nearly identical crashes at the same speed and the one where I had a helmet (full face) I broke my neck in three places, broke my collarbone and got a concussion.
The one where I didn't have a helmet on, I got a concussion and some stitches in my head.
The doctor at the emergency room said the type of helmet broke my neck and collar bone. The doc at the other emergency said "If you were wearing a helmet, you wouldn't be getting stitches."

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Thanks Joe, now I can fess up and not feel so lonely. I never wear a helmet with my motorized bicycle. I have never worn a helmet on a bicycle, ever. I always wear a helmet on the Goldwing. Although most of the time is just the little half helmet. There now I feel better just getting that off my chest..................:D:D

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I hate to agree with anyone on this site but I don't consider my BIKE a motorcycle. I never rode a motorcycle (and I have ridden a few myself son) that was so freaky and hard to ride. To me this darn thing is a lot more challenging than any motorcycle i ever owned or rode. That is probably why I like it. It isn't about speed, it's about keeping it upright when you hit that damn manhole cover.

If you want to get home in one piece you better not be worrying about the mortgage.

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
No helmet here.Too big a hassle.Of course I always thought it will probably be laziness that did me in.But hey,at a time where they make little leaguers wear face masks in the outfield somebody has to stand up for a little risk taking.Besides I think helmets may detract slightly from the babe appeal.Yea right.Ron

haolehonu

May 12, 2008
a helmet breaking your neck? if so I would have filed a lawsuit against the helmet company.

wtf pablo? you drive a bike with a motor on it, B!....it is a legitimate bike with a motor on it, how about that?

yeh these legit cruisers must be attracting some mad honeys for all you studs without helmets.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Thanks Joe, now I can fess up and not feel so lonely. I never wear a helmet with my motorized bicycle. I have never worn a helmet on a bicycle, ever. I always wear a helmet on the Goldwing. Although most of the time is just the little half helmet. There now I feel better just getting that off my chest..................:D:D
Well, I grew up playing Evil Knievil in the 70's with no helmet and I think I turned out alright...;)

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
My motorized bike is a "Babe deterant" and Mrs. Joe likes it that way....

Sue a helmet manufacture? Nah, I'm not the suing type. I was running from the cops, ripped out of my gourd and flew over a hill sooo fast the bike became airborn, missed the stop sign and planted me and the bike against a tree. I deserved it.

It was the sudden stop that broke my neck, not the helmet.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Unlike the rest of you misguided people, I had my motorcycle accident while running along at 50mph on a country rode in South Carolina. I had taken my bike on a thousand mile trip and was struggling to get home.

I stopped for breakfast in a South Carolina dinner, it was 1969 and I was just 2 years back from my Asian vacation. This overweight SC sheriff came in and asked whose motorsykle (rhymes with pickle) that was in the parking lot. I was sitting at the counter with my arm resting on the full face bell helmet. I knew I was going to have a hard time denying it.

"It's mine," I said. I tossed some money on the counter and he followed me outside. He explained that most of the drugs in SC came through Atlanta ga where I had come from. (He asked where I had been and I told him). He must have thought he had Peter Fonda cause he had me unroll my sleeping bag and empty my water bottle ect.

When he didn't find anything, he suggested I get the **** out of SC. I had no problem agreeing. I was on that country rode stroking for home when I looked back to be sure I was alone. that one second with my eyes off the road was all it took. I found myself on the shoulder in a split second.

At that time in SC they plowed the shoulders into furrows. At fifty miles an hour on a hastily packed, out of balance bike, the furrows just tossed me and the bike around for a couple of seconds, then it separated me from the bike. Unfortunately I went forward and the damn bike (I always knew it hated me) ran over me. That wasn't enough for the spiteful bastard it fell on me as well.

Thank God the hot muffler was on the other side. I managed to get out from under it with only a lot of bruises and a twisted knee and ankle. By your standards guys it wasn't much of an accident, I didn't get to the emergency room, but I did get to know first hand what my doctor meant, when he said, "Ride that thing long enough and it will kill you."

Status
Not open for further replies.