Hello there!

GoldenMotor.com

Timokkk

Jul 14, 2008
Hi. My name is Timo, and I live in finland. I have a Briggs & Stratton mower engine and I'm planning to put it on a bicycle. I'm not going to buy any kits or anything. I would like to put some kind of a clutch on it, but I don't know wich or how. I'm a begginer and I'd love to get some tips.

...Just introducin myself to the community.:ride2:

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Welcome to the forum. To put a briggs on bike with a clutch you'll probably need some kind jackshaft to get the ratio right. As far as a clutch a centrifugal clutch would be the easiest way to do it. Glad you joined us..................

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
hi timo and welcome to the forum. i am not sure on the clutch but wanted to welcome you and say we are glad to have you with us. we have some sharp people here with alot of knowlege on motors so i am sure someone will be able to help you

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Hello and greetings Timo, I'm fairly new here myself and am building my first with a bolt on kit motor.

My second bike I'll build like you are doing. Using a centrifugal clutch the way
Ilikeabikea describes.

Some of the others here and myself have posted photos and information about the Cuban home built bikes called "Raquimbili" (Spanish) that you'll want to look at. We're trying to get the word out all around the world about the Raquimbili
machines. When you look at them you'll understand and see some possible ways to rig your bike.

You're lucky to have an old Briggs & Stratton to work with.

Best wishes and good luck with your project.

Timokkk

Jul 14, 2008
Hello and greetings Timo, I'm fairly new here myself and am building my first with a bolt on kit motor.

My second bike I'll build like you are doing. Using a centrifugal clutch the way
Ilikeabikea describes.

Some of the others here and myself have posted photos and information about the Cuban home built bikes called "Raquimbili" (Spanish) that you'll want to look at. We're trying to get the word out all around the world about the Raquimbili
machines. When you look at them you'll understand and see some possible ways to rig your bike.

You're lucky to have an old Briggs & Stratton to work with.

Best wishes and good luck with your project.
Didn't find anything from google wit the word "Raquimbili"... And yes, I am lucky to have a briggs n' stratton, especially when i got it for free :)

Last edited:

Timokkk

Jul 14, 2008
It's been quite out here...
Well I've desidet that the easies way to get a proper cluth and gears is to get a ready gearbox, but since I'm so cheap and I already got a moped, I'm going to link the B'n's yo the crank of the mopeds engine ad put the hole thing on a bicycle. I've already Put a cogwheel on a crank of a moped engine. I using a moped engine only as a gearbox without the rod or cylinder.. The engine is Puch VZ 50 N that is taken from Tunturi Tiger... I'll try to get some pics...

Timokkk

Jul 14, 2008
Well Since the Puch engine is in bad condition. I decided to make a belt clutch... It would look like this...

I just dont know what would be the proper gear ratio...

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
Welcome Timo, from Tampa Bay, Florida.
Funny, When I was like 22, I met a guy named Timo from Finland that visited here. We partied with mutual friends for a short time, and then he had to go back home. He was an interesting fellow. Silampaw I think was his last name.

I downloaded a gear ratio calculator from Jim Sitton that he designed and has worked quite well for me. I believe it is posted on this forum, or it may be posted on the other one. It's nice because it has 3 double inputs for jack shafts and such. You can also enter the tire size and desired rpm's.

Once again, Tervetuloa!
'BrettMavriK

Well Since the Puch engine is in bad condition. I decided to make a belt clutch... It would look like this...

I just dont know what would be the proper gear ratio...