Headset & bar modification

GoldenMotor.com

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
Hi,

I've made a major change to the bike today. Basically I have reversed the headset on the bike and redone all the controls to suit.

The only problem I have run into with this setup is knees and handlebars when pedalling slowly (from stop), they tend to collide... :rolleyes: and manuvering the bike is harder because the end of the bars hit my legs - this should be solved by moving the seat back further (which means a new seatpost :( )

I've also moved the storage bag I had on the bars to the RHS of the bike using the GEBE mount to put it on the bike. I *might* be able to fit another bag on the other side.

My fuel tank is leaking slightly from the top bolt mounting on the RHS of the fuel tank but I cant see a leak anywhere - is there anything I can use to stop it?

Comfortable cruise is now 31mph and the bike will wind out another 4-5mph above that WOT.

Pictures are attached

Jemma xx

Attachments

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
Why did you do this?
Because it saves me back and shoulder ache.. I have tendonitis and a spinal injury so I get pain after about 10-15 minutes riding in my shoulders and upper back.

The headset isnt long enough by a couple of cms - when I pedal I can only do it in a straight line.. but then I am using the bike 100% engine at the moment so its not so much of a problem. I get enough exercise walking and such :)

Regards how high the thing is - its around the highest extension mark and I have been careful to look at it to make sure it isnt twisting or anything.

It has affected handling - it seems to have made the steering more responsive.. I just wish I could get a longer headset.

Jemma xx

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Jemma,

I'm in the same boat with the severe back problems, so on my current build used some mid-rise handlebars with a high angle stem. I'd second a higher handlebar approach. Stems are pretty cheap as well and you should be able to find one that will put the handlebar base a little further from your legs but give you a much more upright seating position.

I had to build mine so that I had a completely upright seating position due to my back:

Here are a couple of ideas:
one of these:
KALLOY TRI/MTN QUILL STEM - 1" at JensonUSA.com
With one of these higher rise cruiser bars.. this set has a 126 mm rise.
DIMENSION SUPER WIDE CRUISER HANDLEBAR at JensonUSA.com

What is the rise on your current handlebars?

Last edited:

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
Jemma,

I'm in the same boat with the severe back problems, so on my current build used some mid-rise handlebars with a high angle stem. I'd second a higher handlebar approach. Stems are pretty cheap as well and you should be able to find one that will put the handlebar base a little further from your legs but give you a much more upright seating position.

I had to build mine so that I had a completely upright seating position due to my back:

Here are a couple of ideas:
one of these:
KALLOY TRI/MTN QUILL STEM - 1" at JensonUSA.com
With one of these higher rise cruiser bars.. this set has a 126 mm rise.
DIMENSION SUPER WIDE CRUISER HANDLEBAR at JensonUSA.com

What is the rise on your current handlebars?
So far as I can tell they are flat bars - no rise at all. The effect I was going for was the '00's style motorcycle look. Then having put it all back together I find out that its soooo much more comfortable to ride..

Had a guy come chat to me today - im riding a GEBE and hes riding a Moto Guzzi twin of some description.

I might try inverting the bar and see if that improves the clearance thing.

Jemma xx

obd1kenobi

Dec 28, 2009
chicago
I really want to do the same thing. I have a North Woods Ridge Dale Cruiser, and the stock stem shaft diameter measures 25.mm. This dimension quill stem adapter looks good, but wouldn't it be a little too sloppy inside the fork tube? I tried using an old dyno bmx stem(21.1mm) and that's just way too small. The reason why I want to change out my stem is because this odd looking pinch bolt is only torqued to 4 ft lbs, and it says NOT to torque it any more. It is covered by a cap, and even has a little yellow warning sticker on it. The damn thing has a lot of flex in it, and I want to eliminate that before I motorize my bike. Any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I've seen adjustable angle(up to straight and forward )at a bike shop over the last 3-4 years.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
I might turn mine around too. Right now im using wide cruiser handle bars but i get the bike stuck when bringing it threw my doorways inside my apartment. I have some straight bars i want to use but they would be too far forward for me to reach since i like to ride leaning back and not hunched over forward, so i may turn the stem around to bring the handle bars closer to me.