Hard to Pedal Start My Motor

GoldenMotor.com

n4t1v3b43r

Nov 15, 2012
Grand Canyon
Ok so I have bought a Brand New 66/80cc bike motor off on ebay, installed correctly and everything but it is VERY HARD TO START meaning that every time I try to start it it pedals hard and Im thinking it might be something wrong with the cylindar or what. I am new to the whole bike/motor scene but i wonder if anybody has this problem with their too. I tried contacting the seller but he just referred me to a video on youtube with no help at all. Can anyone help me out with this???? AND I am thinking of just takeing it apart to see what the problem is but I can wait.:-||:-||

BoDean_LP

Apr 25, 2012
Jeffersonville, Indiana
So you're saying that when you release the clutch it becomes very hard to pedal, or is it always hard to pedal? I don't understand what you're saying about your problem.

Still, it sounds to me like your clutch is out of adjustment. Look up clutch adjustment on here. If your clutch is too loose, you'll feel resistance when you release the lever, but there won't be enough friction to turn the motor over. If it is too tight, you won't be able to disengage it when you hold the lever.

Also, make sure the motor is actually turning over when you release the clutch lever. You can do this by removing the gear box cover and seeing if the gears turn when you release the clutch. I've had a bound motor before. Releasing the clutch pretty much just locked up the back wheel.

BikeBerryJen

Engine Diva
Oct 25, 2012
SoCal
I agree with BoDean! My first thought was the adjusting your clutch also. You can find a video on clutch adjustment at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAp8h9WRXwI. If you do adjust your clutch, be sure you don't over-tighten when you're putting the plate back on. The clutch plate hits the pads and can jam up your clutch even worse. Hope that helps!

daxtitg

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I think he doesn't know that you're supposed to pull the clutch lever in and lock it when the engine is off and you want to pedal, even to start it. you pedal and release the clutch. I dont think he is getting that.

BoDean_LP

Apr 25, 2012
Jeffersonville, Indiana
Too bad the riding instructions are in Engl'ese.

"For start bike clutch lever depress foot pedestal release go."

Or something like that.

That is, if you can even read the horrible excuse for a manual, which is a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy . . .

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Too bad no one askes for clarification of the OP's problem or if he understands the concept of pedaling up to speed, 10 mph or so before releasing the clutch.
People who suggest clutch adjustments without knowing the initial problem are not helping. LEAVE THE CLUTCH ALONE, ESPECIALLY THE FLOWER NUT until we have established the real problem.

Tom

n4t1v3b43r

Nov 15, 2012
Grand Canyon
no it is not the clutch that needs adjustment its JUST hard to start. I'm thinking that it has something to do internally although what your all saying might just be the problem, BUT heres the thing when I try to start it I HAVE to run along it and put weight on the seat to get it to start up with the clutch set and locked throttle down and when it turns over is WHEN I can jump release the clutch and give it gas. I would make a video to show you guys what I mean but my chain broke on me a couple days ago and now i lost my master link in the dirt. laff

n4t1v3b43r

Nov 15, 2012
Grand Canyon
no it is not the clutch that needs adjustment its JUST hard to start. I'm thinking that it has something to do internally although what your all saying might just be the problem, BUT heres the thing when I try to start it I HAVE to run along it and put weight on the seat to get it to start up with the clutch set and locked throttle down and when it turns over is WHEN I can jump release the clutch and give it gas. I would make a video to show you guys what I mean but my chain broke on me a couple days ago and now i lost my master link in the dirt. laff
One more thing I forgot to mention was that the reason why its hard start is that I the sproket inside the motor where the chain connects is hard to turn so it might be over tightened.

n4t1v3b43r

Nov 15, 2012
Grand Canyon
ok thank everyone and another thing is do any of you know how to idle the 66/80cc motor? I keep trying to idle it but all it does is shut off after I brake to a full stop then it just stales out
.duh.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
with the clutch lever pulled & locked with the button, the bike should roll easily just as though the was no engine - if it doesn't, adjust your clutch & cable

master link clip can be replaced with 2 bits of safety wire wrapped around the 2 pins of the master link

broken chain means motor is not straight in frame (leans a bit to left side) or rear sprocket is out of line, or tensioner isn't set to feed chain straight onto bottom of rear sprocket - see which it is & fix it

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
The idle problem sounds like it has the same cause as the starting issue. You need to adjust the clutch cable.

If the clutch is still grabbing as you slow to a stop, then you will stall the engine every time.

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
The idle problem sounds like it has the same cause as the starting issue. You need to adjust the clutch cable.

If the clutch is still grabbing as you slow to a stop, then you will stall the engine every time.
With the clutch handle in the locked position, you must be able to easily roll the rear tire. If it doesn't roll easily, you have a problem. in your case, I think it's the clutch cable not set properly.

n4t1v3b43r

Nov 15, 2012
Grand Canyon
ok so I did fix the problem with my clutch and IT WAS THE CLUTCH that was causing my dilema, BUT there was no spring in there, SO I had to make-shift my own spring to fix that problem and now it spins freely but I don't know if that spring will hold and I pull my clutch leaver all the way in now so there is some resitence to it

BikeBerryJen

Engine Diva
Oct 25, 2012
SoCal
ok so I did fix the problem with my clutch and IT WAS THE CLUTCH that was causing my dilema, BUT there was no spring in there, SO I had to make-shift my own spring to fix that problem and now it spins freely but I don't know if that spring will hold and I pull my clutch leaver all the way in now so there is some resitence to it
The newer engine models do not require that spring as far as I know.