Grubee Starfire SuperRat Engine Kit!

GoldenMotor.com

Vistaman73

Chat Box Junkie
Nov 29, 2009
Shawnee, Kansas
Hi New to forum, have new cylinder58cc looking for intake manifold with 40mm stud spacing . Thanks
Usually you don't hijack a thread with a question like that. Try making a new thread for it instead of changing a current one. You will get more repsonses that way. You are also in the wrong section. Try the Shop and Swap or any of the dealers on the sides of the forum. Make a thread in the right section asking for one and I bet someone will either find a vendor with one or someone will have one laying around and will sell it to you. Just for future reference, it's kinda rude to hijack a current thread, and you won't get many responses. BTW, Welcome to the site!

Toastman

Feb 28, 2011
Macomb, IL
Well, been a wild last two days. Got the BP6HS NGK copper plug in. Noticeable improvement. Got a little ride in, then went to see my friend and stay the night. This morning, went for a ride, she was running decent, except around 3/4 throttle like usual, and the neck thing on the carb that clamps it onto the intake broke. Thankfully, my buddy had a aftermarket CNS carb and we got her on there and running. Went to go for a ride finally, and my master link popped out and disappeared. Then we tracked down some chain. Couldn't find 410 or 415, but I can testify that #41 works like a charm. It is also wider, and I would assume, much stronger. About $17 for two bikes worth of chain and $5 for 5 master links. Im set now. After the chain got put on, we rode for quite a while. Then, the gas tank kept moving around because of the high speed vibration, so I ended up over tweaking one of the studs. Got some gas tank repair epoxy putty on her now. Gonna do some tank shopping here in a minute. I need to mess with the needle clip still and maybe tweak the floats down a tad, because she doesn't like the 3/4 throttle area still. BUT, if i get her close to 1/2 throttle and mash it, she takes right off. So yeah, for any future Super Rat owners:

- Look at different carb options/jet options
- Buy a better plug, maype a BP6HS
- Upgrade to #41 chain

I also wanted to add that I never have had to use the choke with this motor. My buddy thought that was odd. His, does have a intake blocking flap "doo dad" and the CNS has another port that I assume just richens the mix. He suggested that maybe thats a sign of running rich, possibly. Who knows, nice thing is that the carbs are simple and easy to take off and work on. I will continue to share my trials and tribulations. brnot

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
lol.. i just love them days. and for your tank, you could two sided tape it down. it would help keep it down better in addition to the four studs. and its kindov thick. maybe help with vibration??

i have never had a problem with mine. but when i put mine back together, im going to try the tape out. even if it dose not help hold it down of lessen vibration. it will keep the tank from scratching up my paint:)

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
You can also use a piece of hot water pipe insulation between the tank and frame. You will have to tighten it back up a couple of times as the foam compresses and takes a set, but my tank is very secure now and the frame is protected.

driftology

Jun 22, 2010
campbell, ca
I finally completed my project. The SR motor had no issues starting up but on my first run it bogged really bad when I got on the throttle. I know nothing about tuning these things but I have been doing my research. I ran it a second time and it seemed to pull really well. Completely opposite of the first run. But it started having idle issues after a little while.

driftology

Jun 22, 2010
campbell, ca
the motor has been running great for now but the sbp standard freewheel is no match for this engines compression. 2 days in and the freewheel has blown up. i will for sure give the white industries freewheel a run but i will need new cranks because the original freewheel is not comin off. any ideas how to pull it off. if anyone is doing a shifter kit i would suggest a pull start to save your freewheel

Toastman

Feb 28, 2011
Macomb, IL
WARNING! The BP6HS plus is slightly too long. After a good long run, the piston decided to make contact with the plug. I had to go back to factory plug, gapped the best I could. Runs ok now, but I am still in search of a better aftermarket plug. Any suggestions?

adb140275

Aug 8, 2010
Harrison City, PA
get an NGK BP6SS, thats the shortest plug they make, it has a 3/8 in. reach. your plug has a 1/2 in reach (BP6HS). if it only needs to be very slightly shorter, get a BP6LS, which is a 7/16 reach.

jedpr1

Feb 17, 2010
FLORIDA
I have an SR and can't figure out why it bogs. Your info about the timing is really good. Do you know if there are any instructions for the tmechanically challenged? Pics would be great!

PistonBike Rob

Jun 19, 2010
Santa Susana
We do have the GT5R Skyhawk Super Rat in stock.

Motorized Bicycles Gas Bike Engines Gas Powered Bikes Motorized Bicycle Parts

Here's the basics, Bigger bearings, larger front mount hole, integrated CDI/Magneto.

Bolted one up to my bike, and it did feel quicker but not by much compared to my other GT5's. Taking off the head the piston does clear the deck, the squish is tiny. It is so close that if the head gasket or head is not aligned perfectly it will make contact. Way more compression then any china motor we have tried or carry.

Did notice that on the new round magnet there is a sort of fan blade and the cover is vented, hope heat is not an issue.

Replaced carb with Standard NT Carb. Still think this carb has less problems. CNS carb runs inconsistent most of the time. When it running good it does scream. I removed black breather line off my carb and it ran much better.

We are sponsoring the Death Race Bike Show before the race and will be giving one away for best in show.

Hope to see you guys on April 16th in Tucson

driftology

Jun 22, 2010
campbell, ca
more news with the super rat. i would like to first of all say i am in no way a mechanic so sorry. i have been running my super rat for a few days now and it has been running better and better with each time. except for today. i went on a 2 mile ride today, i was very easy on it since i am still in the brake in period and it ran pretty good but after shutting it off for about 20 mins i couldnt get it to start back up. i ended up having to pedal 2 miles back home. and if any of you have seen my setup, you can imagine it was no fun. i took a look at everything, the fuel is being delivered, there doesnt seem to be any issue with the carb, im not sure how to check for spark. i did notice that there is fuel and oil everywhere. it hasnt been like this in the last runs. im no expert by i imagine stuff should not be leaking out of the head gasket. i also think there may be a little fuel and oil coming out of where the magnet is. im not sure if its just dripping into there or not. is the bad gasket seal preventing me from starting up? im begining to wonder if these little engines have too high a compression.

Attachments

Last edited:

adb140275

Aug 8, 2010
Harrison City, PA
pull the electronic cover, dry everything out. remove the head, place sand paper on a flat surface like a work bench (must be flat) and sand the head a little to true the surface. buy some permatex copper head gasket spray and spray the head gasket, then reassemble it and torque the head to 18 ft/lb if you have a torque wrench

driftology

Jun 22, 2010
campbell, ca
done and done, no dice. i think im flooding this poor thing. when i try to start it i might get one or two strokes before it dies. when i pull the plug its drenched with mix.

driftology

Jun 22, 2010
campbell, ca
i tried that too with no love. it really wants to start lol i can tell. i will just keep cruising the forum for a solution. thanks for all the help tho. i am open to all ideas.

bare bones

Jul 12, 2009
Austin
This could be another thing.......Check and see if the plug wire is fully screwed into the cdi. I had the same problem as you and that was the issue.