Got my Magic Pie 3!!

GoldenMotor.com

FMB42

Sep 27, 2013
Idaho
That's a very sharp e-bike build you've got there BikeSlob. Something to be proud of for sure. And yes, I agree that a decent e-build will run a least a thousand (mine came in at just over $800 due to a "$200 off sale" on the motor kit). Must say that it's good to see that you're not using a "hose-clamp" torque arm on that beast.

As for water-proofing the wires where they go into the pie; if you can, make sure that the wires "drop down" a bit (below the axle) before they go "back up" and into the axle (this will help keep water from collecting on the wires and then following it down into the axle). This, and the application of a good sealant (like what you have) will do much to save you from having water enter that pie of yours.

Btw, do keep a very close "eye" on your spoke tension (especially during the first couple of hundred miles or so (mine loosened up more than a few times on me). Same goes for the pie axle (and everything else for that matter).

bikeslob

Jul 31, 2013
Gresham, Oregon
Well, it's been a while since I've posted or even used my ebike. Winter and all that.
Plus I find getting up so early to lifts weights causes me to need to sleep at lunchtime in my car at work. Also, riding home in the dark ain't my thing. Not enough time on this planet, sheez!
However, I was faced with the conunmdrum that I needed a mountain bike for trails which is what I put my Magic Pie on. I also really am not happy with all the weight in the back. Very clumsy when stopped and very dangeroud near trolly car tracks etc. I believe I re-enforced the back battery rack ad naseum but I still worry whenever I hit a bump. So I ordered just the frame and fork for a hard tail (read: front suspension only, and room for battery in triangle in front of seat) from Bike Island. I will move over all my custom wheels and motor and gears and stuff from my less than a year old ebike, and put the mountain tires and wheels back on and gear set that came with it.
http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_STOR20.cgi?Action=Details&ProdID=2715

It was $229 shipped. It will cost another $100 and so for deraillers etc. A totally new one of these from Bikes Direct is $419 shipped but I can afford to splurge a couple hundred, but not 4 hundred right now.
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/29point1.htm
Now where am I going to put this new bike? oh well.

bikeslob

Jul 31, 2013
Gresham, Oregon
Ok, I should have bought the bike already built and shipped for $419. I am going over that just getting the parts added. However, few of the parts are actually better grade like Deore upgrade from Alivio.

anyway, I think it was Paul that had a 48v LiPo mounted sideways inside his frame triangle, but low and behold my new frame, without the rear suspension, will only let me mount it sideways. oh well, I still want the battery mounted as far forward and low as possible. Also, gotta figure out a way to make it secure, but also removable (I recharge it under my desk at work).

My advice to new buiders:
At any cost avoid the motor and battery on back wheel configuration. Not stable, and also really squirrely trying to lift or move around.

Attachments

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
...My advice to new buiders:
At any cost avoid the motor and battery on back wheel configuration. Not stable, and also really squirrely trying to lift or move around.
Agreed... to an extent lol, if it's above the rear or nothing - go for it, it's squirrely & that's a fact, but it's something you get used to & the "extra" 16lbs or so on a cargo rack isn't a deal breaker, it's no different then riding with any other cargo & a decent center stand helps the stability problem while parked anyway: http://www.amazon.com/Action-655-1003-Acclaim-Kickstand/dp/B002ZFH696

If it was my primary toy instead of my beater/commuter, I'd prolly do something about relocating the packs... or so I've been telling myself for almost three years now heh - again, you're absolutely correct in advising to attempt to locate the backs in-frame, but if it's not feasible I'd not avoid an ebike because of it ;)

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
My advice to new buiders:
So true, On my latest build I installed a rear rack to hold my battery and I hated the way it handled. It was a blessing that the rack snapped so I ended up building a new rack and mounted the battery on the frame. I wish I could have mounted it lower but handles great and with no clearance issues. Now I ride this bike all the time.
My beach cruiser bike has the battery on a rack and when I load two battery packs on it for my long rides, it feels like I'm riding a unicycle.

Attachments

bikeslob

Jul 31, 2013
Gresham, Oregon
Agreed... to an extent lol, if it's above the rear or nothing - go for it, it's squirrely & that's a fact, but it's something you get used to & the "extra" 16lbs or so on a cargo rack isn't a deal breaker, it's no different then riding with any other cargo & a decent center stand helps the stability problem while parked anyway
Well, there was no way to put a kick stand of any type.
I had to buy a custom built one.
And I agree, if you must go with rear battery then I would do it, did it.
Guy at bike shop yesterday was carrying around his LiPo in a Pannier on the side of the back wheel. He did have a funny little electric motor up next to the crankshafts and chain driven. What will they think of next..