Getting tired of trying

GoldenMotor.com

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
In some of my recent posts I have being try to get my bike working again it stalled suddley one day on the way to work.

I changed the cdi and voila it stated but seemed to be running hot and I could not get it to idle. on one of the cold starts it did back fire so checked the crank seals (now that I really think about it the back wheel was easier to turn with the clutch engaged more than ever before) they looked fine and took the carb off and resealed all that up

It stared again it did not seem to be running hot got it to idle but then it seemed to be losing power so I changed the magneto

Tonight it would not start completely (it seemed to pull when I was peddling but would not run for long) and it back fired 3 or 4 times I think its the rings. Before any of this happened it was running very well, its enough to make a grown man cry!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated zpt

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Take the head, top off the motor. Get the piston to it's lowest position. Is the cyclinder smooth? feel it. When rings warp or break they like to make scratches in the wall. Carbon, the safe way is WD-40. Let it soak for a while. We will go from there. Ya can't hurt it.

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The cylinder wall seem very smooth no scratches that I can feel

your cylinder has a nasty scored area right above the port looks like a ring or keeper might of went south that looks bad!
Norman

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
make sure the key didn't pop out of the keyway when you put the mag back on, it's ez for it to slip out when pushing the mag onto the shaft, that would cause it to be miss timed, run hot and poorly.

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I am going to check for spark again when it is dark.
Could it be that the muffler is clogged? I have over 1500 miles this engine and never took apart the muffler ( I cannot get the bottom off of it.)

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I would try to get the replacement parts from your original seller so you have half a chance at getting the right items. thatsdax may be able to work with you over the phone to ensure you get the right parts.

Whatever you do- make sure you flush the bottom end out THOROUGHLY with kerosine before you re-assemble the engine.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I would also find the reason for the destruction before you run the engine again.
It sounds to me like you were running it lean. (hot) What color is the plug? Picture?

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The Plug was brown. It seems reason is that I needed to replace the CDI On one of the cold starts the ring must of popped off that was the first backfire I heard.

I will post som more pics soon.

eisle89

Jun 16, 2008
El Paso, Texas
If that is the intake port that we're seeing in the pic then I'd guess you dropped the keeper
pin for the piston rings. Or the rings were not set to the keeper pins correctly from the start.I think you're in the market for a new cylinder AND piston with rings. Make sure that you measure the wrist pin diameter, it will be either 10mm or 12mm. Make sure you get the correct piston set
to fit that motors' crankarm.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The Plug was brown. It seems reason is that I needed to replace the CDI On one of the cold starts the ring must of popped off that was the first backfire I heard.

I will post som more pics soon.
The plug was good, as was the mixture....I think eisle89 is right, you lost the locator pin, or the wrist pin keeper or both.