Getting old is rough

GoldenMotor.com

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Tom I’ve been lucky, I find more than I lose. At my age I don’t hit a ball far enough to lose one that often. I’ve heard that I will have to reinvent my swing, the hip will change my rotation, I hope it cures my slice as well.

Oldbiscuit

Oct 3, 2020
You’re lucky Greg, I ended up giving my golf clubs to my daughter in law. I’ve got arthritis in my left wrist so bad that I can’t swing a club without extreme pain. Surgeon said the only options I have are to live with the pain and constant grinding in the wrist or surgery to where they can screw in a plate and immobilize the wrist. So far I’m living with the pain.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Got a call from Mona's older brother Mark, informing us that baby brother David has gone to the Great Garage Sale in the sky. He had a paralyzing stroke in 2009, but still managed to have a good life.
Albeit a bit slower.
Brother Mark is getting stressed. Seems Dave expired while filling the bath tub. There is more than a bit of water damage.
If I were Mark I would call Service Master.
We talked to Mona's lawyer son who said he would contact some lawyers he knows in Minneapolis, that might be retained to probate the estate.
We would be there asap to help Mark but I get cataract surgery tomorrow. Work there will be, Dave was a hoarder of the first rank.

Tom

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Got a call from Mona's older brother Mark, informing us that baby brother David has gone to the Great Garage Sale in the sky. He had a paralyzing stroke in 2009, but still managed to have a good life.
Albeit a bit slower.
Brother Mark is getting stressed. Seems Dave expired while filling the bath tub. There is more than a bit of water damage.
If I were Mark I would call Service Master.
We talked to Mona's lawyer son who said he would contact some lawyers he knows in Minneapolis, that might be retained to probate the estate.
We would be there asap to help Mark but I get cataract surgery tomorrow. Work there will be, Dave was a hoarder of the first rank.

Tom
I can see clearly now! You will know right away the clear blue sky.............Curt

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
To have a paralyzing stroke and still continue on with a good quality of life shows that he wasn't a person to give up. To pass away while filling your bathtub is misfortune at it's height. I'd like to think your brother in law is strolling through the biggest and best yard sale he ever saw where nothing is more than a dollar, he has a pocket full of money and his arms are never overloaded.

On the other hand working for an auctioneer for years I've seen what your facing too many times. I can only hope that it isn't to the point where you need to force your way into the house because the doors are blocked. You will be on a first name basis with the dumpster/tip people before it's all over. If there is insurance involved they will take care of everything and if not you get to call Service Master yourselves, as you said.

Hoping it all works out.

Steve.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
B i L Dave was not a hoarder of phone books, newspapers, TV trays, and other detritus. He had an eye for art, quality antique furniture, real cast bronze art, a variety of antique musical instruments, Antique weapons, and more. No junk. He couldn't sleep in his own bed as it was piled full of swords. Dave knew quality and collected penny on the dollar. He did some turn around with antique dealers in Minneapolis.
As his house is racked and stacked with multiples. Scandinavian folk art too.

Talked to B i L Mark tonight. The initial shock has passed and now the daunting task of remediating the water damage. Think wall to wall carpet on two levels well anchored by antiques. I told Mark to forget rolling carpet. Cut the stuff out with a Exacto knife piece meal asap because that stuff is going to start stinking. And mushrooms! I mentioned Service Master which he had never heard of. Curious as he worked apartment management the last 35 years. He has found decomposing tenants. :D

Cataract surgery done on Left eye. Doc says Okey Dokey. Dull aching right now. Time to do eye meds.

Tom

Reactions: fasteddy

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
B-I-L Dave was a collector of antiques. They too reach some unheard of proportions. Having been in that business all my life, mother and grandmother were antiques dealers, and if no one in the family wants the bulk of it, I'd suggest looking for a qualified auctioneer quickly. Ask some antique dealers locally who they would suggest without revealing who you are or what your selling. Better yet look at the auctioneers listings and if they sell mostly antiques they will have the skills and following to move a collection that large. As soon as the vultures hear of his passing the thieves will show up and they may know he's passed already.

Ask the police if they can put a patrol past the house. Best case is move it to a secure storage facility. I can imagine what what a chore that will be but I can't explain how fast the word spreads in that business. The auctioneer will move it quickly.

Steve.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Just got off the phone with BIL Mark, relaying your thoughts and advice Steve. Kinda funny, your sage advice tensed up his grip on his cell phone and shut it off (^) he called back.

Did the day after post op check with the Ophthalmologist today. Told him that vision has still fuzzy and experiencing some discomfort. So he did a eye pressure test. Scored a 44, 24 is a good score.
But he was unperturbed. Tells me not to be concerned, it's fixable, numbs my eye unwraps a fresh needle and pokes my eye four times. "There he say's! Your vision will start to clear up shortly." And it has.

He said it wasn't a very big needle, and I told him I would like to have to pin a butterfly in my collection.
I think he is beginning to get used to me.

Tom

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I have been blessed with good eyesight, I only wear glasses when reading or using a computer. My wife on the other hand is almost legally blind without her glasses, she says that’s what makes us a pair, she’ll do the hearing while I drive. She has the best hearing of anybody I know.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I don’t know if the saying is true but I’ve always heard that your body will compensate for weak parts by making other parts stronger, she can hear a watch beep in a drawer in the other end of the house, I can’t hear my cellphone sometimes sitting next to it.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Just to let you know hearing aids at Costco are the cheapest $2,000 compared to $6.000 at hearing centers..........Curt
I got my hearing aids before the deregulation, mine were $5k. I have three different settings to help control background noise, I can also control the volume with my phone. I have a hearing test scheduled in a couple of weeks, hopefully they can update the aids I have now. I have the aids with replaceable batteries by choice, my brother in law has the rechargeable kind and after three years don’t last all day. My next set will use replaceable batteries too.