fuel gauge for bike

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by 4wdingman, Oct 8, 2008.

1. 63galaxie

63galaxie New Member

let me know of an ideas that come out of this it seems like it would be nice to have one for sure 63galaxie

2. Schwinn the Fox

Schwinn the Fox New Member

Does anyone know what kind of gas cap with the gauge will fit a regular tank? I want to get a cap like this:

Gas Cap

And I want to find one that will fit this kind of gas tank:

My Gas Tank

Anyone know where I can find a gauge for my tank?

3. Allen_Wrench

Allen_Wrench Resident Mad Scientist

Just out of curiousity, did anybody else cut a chopstick in half and make notches in one side, and stick it down into the tank as a kind of gauge? Or is that just me?

4. adam valentine

adam valentine New Member

my brad new polaris 4 wheeler has this type of tank gauge i had to replace it the first year due to clouding up then the plastic popped off the top due to the glue melting because of the gas i think

5. Tim_B_172

Tim_B_172 New Member

I was toying with the idea once of putting a mechanical fuel gauge like the one in this link in a bike tank.

MECHANICAL FUEL GAUGE from Aircraft Spruce

That's just the first thing that came up in my search today. Those type of gauges come in different sizes and for less money. Try boat parts websites. ;)

6. Slowrollers

Slowrollers New Member

7. Schwinn the Fox

You must tell me where you got this!!! I want one!! O.O

8. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Well-Known Member

My 4-liter Happy Tank has a locking gas cap. This puts me at ease when I park it out of sight. The fuel system also vents thru the cap's keyhole. I'd love to install that cap in the post above mine, but paranoia won't allow me.

Besides, my rides are short, I've got a large tank, good memory and an 18oz reserve bottle. I admire y'all's creativity, tho.

9. Schwinn the Fox

would you know where to get a cap like the one above? i really want one ^^

10. RebelHellbilly

RebelHellbilly New Member

i want 1 of those too drn2

11. Saddletramp1200

Saddletramp1200 Custom MB Buiilder

Looks really cool! I use the slosh and hope gauge. I sometimes run out. The trusty old back pack, Has a tiny bottle of 2 stroke in it. Gas station everywhere in Houston :)
    2 one dollar bills in the handle bar. I walk less, and ride more. (c)

12. Bob Mac 18704

Bob Mac 18704 New Member

I think Majdan has the right idea. The site tube works well and is super cheap. The two little elbows could be soldered in with little trouble. Now if I could find those 2 little elbows somewhere I'll have a gauge on my bike the next day. I had one on my x6 hussler years ago. The only problem was the clear tubing would yellow out. Took about 30 seconds to change out. The only thing now is the gas is clear and will be harder to see in the tube. Back then, the gas had an orange tint to it from the lead and other additives they put in it. I'll continue to search for the elbows.usflg

13. Saddletramp1200

Saddletramp1200 Custom MB Buiilder

Petroleum dye will make it any color you want. :)

14. Goat Herder

Goat Herder Gutter Rider

Then I want something that looks radio active and glows in the dark, perfumed with the odor of pork and beans:D Like Volcan Blood or something that leaked out of the Predator. YouTube - Predator (1987) - Theatrical Trailer - © 20th Century Fox __________________

15. thine82

thine82 New Member

i thought about gas on my way home today in the six inches of snow.. heard my bike get louder and then pop... and it shut off... my spark plug was lose.. i always carry a spare but it was still connected.. i thought my motor blew cuz it is so cold but nope.. old faithful still lives... gonna give it some custom fiberglass wheel wells ... hate getting snow on me.. and these almost broke their tabs off already.. i am going to airbrush paint it also.. want a sick paint job to bring to the car shows..

16. wayne z

wayne z New Member

Most any hobbyshop that deals with model airplanes will have various sizes of small dia. brass tubing.

You may find something useful from under the hood of a junked car, or from the innards of an old auto carburator

17. wayne z

wayne z New Member

Try NAPA or other automotive parts dealers. I bought some from NAPA several years ago to replace the plastic hose barb elbows on my ultralight plane

18. wayne z

wayne z New Member

2-stroke oil will give the fuel some tint that will easily be seen in the sight tube. Works on my ultralight.

19. silverbear

silverbear The Boy Who Never Grew Up

The type of brass elbow you're talking about came on some of the outboard motor gas tanks. A marine supply might have them or if you frequent the landfill as I do, then you may find discarded fuel tanks. When they get old they sometimes leak and end up getting tossed. Also, some of them had a separate gauge unit with a float inside. If you were making a tank from scratch one of those gauges would work.
    SB

20. devo67

devo67 New Member

take a float out of a boat motor tank shorting the arm to fit the tank ...just a thought