Frustrated!!!

GoldenMotor.com

freshwater

Aug 6, 2008
I need help and suggestion on how to get my new 2 stroke 80cc motor started. I pedal and pedal until my heart pops and when I do release the clutch it sounds like it wants to start but it keeps dying once I slow down. I don't know what else to adjust to get it running. :-||

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
The most often seen problem is an air leak at the manifold junction. If you haven't sealed that you should. It can't hurt and it often solves the problem. Also there are lots of issues with the wiring. Take the kill switch out of the wiring (they are often bad from the get go) and make sure the other wires are connected correctly. Black to black blue or green to blue or green.

If it still won't start check your plug to see if it's wet. If not you have a carb problem.

If your plug is wet and you have sealed the manifold, check for spark.

To do that take the plug out, reattach the wire. lay it on the engine's head and turn the rear wheel by hand. You should see a spark on the plug.

Let us know what you find.

smithmule

Jul 6, 2008
have you connected the kill switch? if so, try un connecting it.. i had the same problem with my gf's bike

BlueCollarBike

Aug 14, 2008
I need help and suggestion on how to get my new 2 stroke 80cc motor started. I pedal and pedal until my heart pops and when I do release the clutch it sounds like it wants to start but it keeps dying once I slow down. I don't know what else to adjust to get it running. :-||
First
pull your spark Plug ..if Its wet you have flooded your motor ( left the chock on to long)
or you have no spark.
If the plug is dry you have no fuel.

After you read the plug you can move on to the next step.

Cheers

Bob:)
Home

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I know this might sound funny but have you tried starting it with the chock on? For some reason or another, I know my old bike wouldn't start unless the chock was on. The second I start to hear the motor start, I would have to slowly open up the chock until it warmed up.

freshwater

Aug 6, 2008
I found out what the problem was! I took off the kill switch and it started right up. Thanks a million everyone I thought I had to scrap my first build. This site is the best!.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Also when I start my bike I have to try once with the choke fully on, then try again with it maybe 1/3 on.

While you have the plug out, keep it connected to the plug wire and lay it on top of the cylinder head. Release the clutch, pick up the back of the bike and spin the tire. See if it sparks. OK I just realized that was already posted...

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
k nevermind. Glad you got it figured out.

Who needs the kill switch anyway. To kill the bike, I just put the choke fully on and give it a little rev. it dies straight away.

BlueCollarBike

Aug 14, 2008
I found out what the problem was! I took off the kill switch and it started right up. Thanks a million everyone I thought I had to scrap my first build. This site is the best!.
Good to here.

Depending on the kit.

Take one wire from the kill switch and ground it to the Motor/frame.
Take the other wire and connect to either the blue or black...Not the white.

Sometime the kill switch button sticks, You would need to ohm it to make sure

Good luck

cheers:)

Bob

Home

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Good to see you got the bike started. Good job trouble shooting the problem.

freshwater

Aug 6, 2008
Thank you everyone for the great advice that you have given me. I got my bike running but I can't seem to keep the motor on idle when I stop. I am confused on how much I should turn the idle screw and which way.

BlueCollarBike

Aug 14, 2008
Thank you everyone for the great advice that you have given me. I got my bike running but I can't seem to keep the motor on idle when I stop. I am confused on how much I should turn the idle screw and which way.
you can try.

Screwing the needle in closed all the way..Please don't tighten to tight .
then turn out the idol screw 4 times.

It should get you kinda close.

Hope this helps

Cheers:)

Bob

BlueCollarBike

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Guys
You should have working kill switch for safety. My son was riding my old bike used to be his bike with a cough cough 80cc kings engine I don't know how he did it but he stuck the throttle wide open and freaked so here he is going wide open and scared to take his hands off the handlebars I yelled for him to hold in the kill switch which he does and the bike stops. turns out he snagged the throttle cable getting the bike out of the shed and kinked the throttle cable allowing it to stick wide open.
some of you try to reach down and hit the kill switch with the bike going fast and see if your able coming up to an inner section with cars and your supposed to stop finding that choke isn't as easy as pushing in the kill switch.
something to think about. all my bikes have a kill switch and they all work. never have had a problem with them not working as long as they are wired correctly.
Norman

freshwater

Aug 6, 2008
I just reconnected my kill switch properly to the blue wire and grounded the black to the frame. The bike starts up fine now and I have a kill switch.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
All my bikes have working kill switches just not on the handle bars. They are all easy to find though and I used one this morning when My throttle was adjusted wrong.

I know there is a set of instructions circulating with bike kits that says kill switch to white wire. Even had someone call me on it, but the kill switch is better with the ignition wires.

My latest weed eater if you go to full choke it will slow down and spit at you but it still runs. I have two that will do that. Plus like the man said if you are about half in a panic you are gonna have to lay that puppy down to get to the choke.