Firebird, Silverbear's Worksman Cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I began wiring up lights last evening and to see what they looked like I temporarily ran them off of a little battery pack. I made all the lights with 9 LED units inside. They seem quite bright to me. The running lights (copper jewel lights) will run off of the engine magneto. If I can get away with it, I'll also wire into the same circuit the larger rear light which will serve as the brake light and will only draw juice when the brake is applied. The headlight will run off a small battery pack tucked under the rearmost part of the rear rack. I rarely ride at night so am not concerned with running down the batteries. The running lights should make me visible even at dusk, which is my main reason for having lights... to be seen. I like they way the lights look and plan to put these and similar lights up for sale this winter.
SB

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
MILLFORD HANGERS
I broke one of the Millford hangers I have found so many uses for on this build. It was one of two holding the gas tank in place. I have also used these hangers for the headlight mounts, the front mou nt for the chain guard and for supporting the back end of the expansion exhaust. I realized today in looking at the broken one closely that the straight section is just a press fit into the curved portion of the hanger. The fix is easy enough with a bit of silver solder to beef up the connection. I will continue to find uses for these hangers in future builds, but before using them will silver solder the weak point. I thought when I bought these that they must be common as they are for hanging copper water pipe. But the only place I've seen them is Lowe's. My local hardware stores here have never heard of them. Very useful on bike builds...it is just a little thing but little things can make a build go easier
SB

Attachments

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
Silverbear, looking at the photos of your bike just blows me away! That is one beautiful build. I like the cream frame with black fenders, it's pretty much the antithesis of my Whizzer - it has a black frame with cream fenders. I'm really looking forward to seeing you and your bike at the Cape Henlopen Rally, if things still look good for your participation.
Cheers!
-Chris

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
COPPER GAS FILTER AND LINE

When I saw BarelyAWake's glass bowl filter and copper gas line on his Rollfast during last winter's Rustoration Build-off I couldn't ge tover how much better it looked than a plastic gas line and filter. I had wanted to steal his idea in total for this build, but it was not possible as the outlet from the gas tank would be lower than the glass bowl gas filter... no room in the engine area under the gas tank. I had also been bothered by the blank spot behind the gas tank. It didn't really fill up the space, so I made my own version of the copper gas line. First I tried making a copper tube to contain a plastic gas filter, but soldering up the copper tube was too hot for the vinyl tubing and it leaked. Then I got to thinking about it, did some internet sleuthing and decided to make my own gas filter using the same filtering medium as industrial hydrogen generators, I believe they're called. Anyway, this is my copper gas filter and gas line and just a bit of vinyl at the final union between copper line and the carburetor. I like it. Tomorrow I'll see if all of my compression fittings are tight with no leaks...
SB

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thanks for the kind words, Chris! I have Fasteddy to thank for suggesting that cream color. Wimbleton Ford White, in Dupli-color. In past builds I've always been a little disappointed in the discrepancy between what I had hoped for and how things actually turned out. But this one is looking better than I had anticipated. Partly it is the canoe sidecar which looks much better than a battered up old canoe deserves to. I'm glad you like it, too.
Yes, things still look good for the Delaware rally. I'm hoping to have the bike running in a week to see if all is well. I'd rather not bring it to the rally without some trial runs to work out any bugs. I look forward to meeting you and your brother in person finally.

BIKEMOBILE
Today I got to work on turning an old utility trailer into a 'bikemobile'. I got a free aluminum topper from the local freecycle and needed to change the dimensions a bit so the topper would fit the slightly smaller trailer. Plus it needed to be a good deal taller so that I can lower the tailgate, raise the rear hatch on the topper portion and wheel bikes inside without lowering handlebars or messing up the bikes. I have to haul several bikes, tools and possessions with me when I travel to the east coast in a couple more weeks.
First I rebuilt the floor of the trailer with scraps of this and that lumber and covered it with salvaged metal roofing. I had some rough cut lumber I milled many years ago with my own sawmill, cut from my woodlot and logged out with my Indian ponies. It was for a stone house I built by hand and is the last of the lumber from that enterprise. I'm using what I've got and hope to spend nothing more than for screws and a few bolts... on the same tight budget as always. A few more days and it should be closed in and roadworthy. Next summer I'll be able to wheel the Firebird inside with the sidecar attached. Cool.
SB

Attachments

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
Thanks for the kind words, Chris! I have Fasteddy to thank for suggesting that cream color. Wimbleton Ford White, in Dupli-color. In past builds I've always been a little disappointed in the discrepancy between what I had hoped for and how things actually turned out. But this one is looking better than I had anticipated. Partly it is the canoe sidecar which looks much better than a battered up old canoe deserves to. I'm glad you like it, too.
Yes, things still look good for the Delaware rally. I'm hoping to have the bike running in a week to see if all is well. I'd rather not bring it to the rally without some trial runs to work out any bugs. I look forward to meeting you and your brother in person finally.

BIKEMOBILE
Today I got to work on turning an old utility trailer into a 'bikemobile'. I got a free aluminum topper from the local freecycle and needed to change the dimensions a bit so the topper would fit the slightly smaller trailer. Plus it needed to be a good deal taller so that I can lower the tailgate, raise the rear hatch on the topper portion and wheel bikes inside without lowering handlebars or messing up the bikes. I have to haul several bikes, tools and possessions with me when I travel to the east coast in a couple more weeks.
First I rebuilt the floor of the trailer with scraps of this and that lumber and covered it with salvaged metal roofing. I had some rough cut lumber I milled many years ago with my own sawmill, cut from my woodlot and logged out with my Indian ponies. It was for a stone house I built by hand and is the last of the lumber from that enterprise. I'm using what I've got and hope to spend nothing more than for screws and a few bolts... on the same tight budget as always. A few more days and it should be closed in and roadworthy. Next summer I'll be able to wheel the Firebird inside with the sidecar attached. Cool.
SB
Cool man! i was wanting to do that Stand up jet ski trailer
but i doubt i can. You need to get a picture painted of the worksman and put it on the side, like NASCAR trailers.

Sam

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
KOOOOL You realy did a nice job. Love the color combo. All the copper even a copper stinger on th muffler. Got to get going on mine. Don't forget to graese the bearings on the trailer hate to see you stranded on the way there.

I found one of the old generator powerd friction drive bikes like we had when I was a kid. Sad is that the motor is stuck if I can't get it free it will be yard art. I did get another old bike with it that will be useable Good luck on your trip back ....Curt

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I finished closing in the bikemobile. Beautiful it is not, serviceable it is. No Sam, there will be no cool sign work on the side like NASCAR. Ha!. Due to the rough cut lumber it is heavier than I would like, but it is what I had. The aluminum top is very light and the load inside won't be all that heavy... bicycles and lighter things packed in there. I'll leave heavy tools for inside the Cherokee. I'll have the bearings checked for grease before I go and give it new tail lights & wiring.
The hub adapter and sprocket arrived today and I got it installed with some hassling due to the order of assembly. You really should do the wheel while it is off the bike completely, then install things like fenders, rear rack, drop stand and sidecar mounts. I just loosened things up enough to get the wheel loose and installed it pretty much in place. Makes an easy job a hassle. Anyway it is on and I perfomed surgery on the fender with the dremel tool for fender clearance. In the past I've used tin snips and the first time I installed a HT I tried just bending in the fender for clearance. The cut off wheel makes for a clean cut. Photos show the beginning of that process. I ended up shaving off two strips and then dressed the edges up with a small grinding wheel followed by the diamond tip to smooth out the edge. Looks nice and the chain clears the fender. But it is running in to the chain stay unless the chain is lifted, which means using a chain tensioner which I really didn't want to do. The Worksman has horizontal dropouts which means I should be able to adjust the tension in the chain by adjusting the wheel. There's so little room for the engine that I don't see how IZ can change the angle of things there. I'll see if there's a way around the tensioner tomorrow and if not, then it will have a tensioner. There's always something. I also realized once I sat on the bike that the seat needs a bit more tightening, so I may need to do another shim yet. Front brake needs adjusting. I have yet to put gas in the tank to see if all my compression fittings are gas tight. I'm hoping to have things worked out so that I can give it a test ride this weekend.
I remember the first HT I installed on a bike a few years ago, a 63 Schwinn American deluxe (since burned in the fire). I was so excited and actually believed the hype that I could install this and be riding in just a few hours of work with modest mechanical abilities and simple hand tools. Didn't work out that way and in my eagerness to get riding and feel the wind in my face I rushed everything which resulted in the chain jumping the sprocket, nuts vibrating loose, a near disaster with a fender coming undone (the rear one!). Even so, I was hooked. But I have learned along the way now to take my time and try to do things right. Above all else, to keep it safe.
SB

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
It has been some time since I added to this thread and much has happened in the meantime Some family things came up and I did not go to the rally in Delaware. Now I have a family member dying of cancer and may not go east until mid winter, if at all. Things happen.
So the bike has been sitting inside the 'bikemobile' protected from the weather while waiting for parts. The pull kit arrived and I got it installed successfully once I removed the lock washers holding down the magneto and replaced them with locktite. That gave the needed clearance. However, it also created a problem in pedal clearance, so I ordered pedal extenders. Once they came I realized they had sent the wrong size. I needed 1/2" threads and got 9/16". The vendor had me send them back. After two weeks went by I called to see what the problem was. They said they had not received the extenders. I said I did a delivery confirmation and would check at the post office the next day. An hour later they emailed say, yes they did get my package, sorry. They would mail out the right ones immediately. Several days later I got an email saying they don't have that size and refunded my money. Three weeks for nothing. So I ordered the only ones I could find in 1/2" threads. When they came I discovered they did extend the pedals out about an inch, but they were pedal adapters to use 9/16 pedals with a 1/2" crank. So I ordered a set of old 9/16 pedals, several more days went by and I got them. (I should have just bent the crank arms in the first place saving time and money...) I could not get the motor to fire, checked the plug and eventually switched out the CDI unit which was faulty. With a good deal of choke it fired off and wowzer... nice power from the start and the expansion pipe sounded terrific. Woohoo! I rode it for a mile perhaps and had a mighty big smile on my face when I shut it down. What a great, classy bike.
It is autumn here in northern Minnesota and winter can come quickly. With that in mind I figured I had best take a couple of current photos and kind of close out this thread since the riding season is coming to a close and there is work to do yet on this bike which will come in the winter months or spring. I did want to share with you a tool box I made which you no doubt thought at first was an auxiliary gas tank. It works nicely. I like it and have since made another for a second build I started while waiting for parts for this one. I'll be making more of these for sure.
If the weather holds I may add to this thread, but if it doesn't then this will close it out.
This build would not have happened without the kindness of a number of people. The PK-80 engine from Justin at Pirate Cycle is a winner. He also supplied me with a rear sprocket, a pull start and has been an A-1 guy who I now call my friend. Part of what makes that bike so sharp in my eyes is the expansion chamber exhaust from Pablo and Ghosto at Sick Bike Parts. The cool air cleaner was also in their "care package". Great guys with some wonderful products. The back wheel is thanks to Chris Davis of EZM and the vintage front drum brake Worksman wheel is from Fasteddy who also gave me wrenches and screwdrivers to replace what I lost in the fire. He even came for a week or so on his cross country trip to the east coast of Canada and during his visit helped me make that canoe sidecar. My friend, I cannot thank you adequately. And I would not even have been here without the help of so many of you. I would not have had my Jeep Cherokee. I would still be in Maryland saving up to buy a car.
I put a lot of effort into this build because I wanted to give back in my own way. You guys threw me the ball and I did my best to run with it, gimpy as I am. I think the bike is wonderful mostly because of all of you. I was down and you lifted me up, so I wanted to make it special and gave it my all. I can never thank you enough. Got a lump in my throat, I do. I hope you like the bike. I sure do.
Silverbear

Attachments

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
AWESOME Bike SB You sure don't wast no time when it comes to building a bike. Keep a eye on the front fender they been knowen to brake and cause some saver damage.........God bless ...Curt

Sorry to here about your family member.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hey bobby,
I never measured the frame and the while I am in Maryland for the winter, the bike is in Minnesota so I can't measure anything. I can tell you that it is the standard Worksman Newsboy frame. It only comes in one size.
SB

bobby

Dec 15, 2010
ny
leather wrap and copper fuel line is sweeeeeeeeeet. im going to take that for my build if you dont mind.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
leather wrap and copper fuel line is sweeeeeeeeeet. im going to take that for my build if you dont mind.
I don't mind at all. Glad you like it, too. I still like looking at this bike and am looking forward to a few changes next summer. An SBP shift kit would be awesome if I can afford it.
SB

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Its allready been taken many times,as there has a lot of builds have them. I for one am saveing cans for my build. Silverbear is one clever guy when it comes to the leather and soldering cans. Tuna air cleaner, Leather grips, stain glass lights, Awesome stuff ..........Curt

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
... Silverbear is one clever guy when it comes to the leather and soldering cans. Tuna air cleaner, Leather grips, stain glass lights, Awesome stuff ..........Curt
Agreed (^) I'm always lookin' forward to his next project jus' ta see what he comes up w/next :D

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
One most awesome thing SB, fsrfan, blackhog01,and some others has done for me is a big WAKEUP CALL. I have read these fourms for a long time keped loking for the right parts and could not seem to conect, there was always a big if. Now I will do like them make it myself,and do with what I have or can find from junk yards and other source.
THANKS GUYS..............Curt

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thanks for the kind words you guys. The copper line was something I saw on Barely's build. The tin can tanks were first done by Rockenstein. So many good ideas float around here that you can pick and choose and adapt... and sometimes something new comes into your head spurred on by all the creativity here.
SB