finally building a BTR inspired motobike

GoldenMotor.com

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
This pic is of another guys bike on this forum but this is along the lines of my idea for the motor mount resembling a crank case then weld the actual flat mount to the top with faux motor mounts forward and back of the crank case.
I believe this would beautifully in your bike.

Attachments

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
If? you are interested in this type of Mount/Faux Crank you can get better pic's of it on the thread titled REO Build it's a pretty cool build.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Don't just focus solely on the Faux crank/motor mount you have to visualize the front and back mounts and the engine sitting on top,
that was just a pic to get your creative nerves flowing refer back to the drawing I posted. and remember that is a Honda GC160 in the Dixie Flyer much taller engine then yours so the shorter Faux mount looks totally different.
This type of design would greatly fill in the realistate as well as make the engine look a little bigger than what it is.
Yer doing a good job so far I'm just throwing ideas in yer direction, CATCH! (LOL!)

Last edited:

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
I love that motor, too bad it's a bit out of my budget so I'll have to stick with what I have. I have a motor mount designed but it's not exactly what I want it to look like.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
If you are refering to GC 160 QHA-1 they only cost $220. + shipping actually less then you current engine, but then again I don't know if purchased the whole kit or just engine and necessary components seperately ??? but not as expensive as you might think.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
You Stole That!! (literally) private seller, buddy forum member ??? please share
A build under $500.oo Where? (LOL!) you gotta a lot of fun stuff to do yourself.

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
Lol I told you guys I'm a great bargainer. Everything I have I got from Craigslist at a super low cost, it took me forever to save up all the parts, but when you're on a tight budget you don't have an option

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
Ain't that the truth,
P.s. your Excalibur '09 build is nothing short of inspirational

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
A bike below or around $500 is very doable if you do it all yourself, and the pride that comes with doing it yourself is priceless.

Loving this build, keep it up!!!!!

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Yep, being poor is a great motivator, but it also leads to builds being one of a kind with some of the problem solving way out of the box. There's nothing wrong with signing checks to get what you want providing you have money in the account. Ha! Your build is coming along beautifully.
SB

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
thanks guys, im still a bit stuck on the motor mount design. ive been playing around with truckd's sketch but still having a hard time sorting out the details. looks like im gonna have to start making cardboard cut outs

tattoomark

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix AZ
im just using two strips of angle iron one on each side of the frame, running from the down tube to the seat tube. then drill holes to bolt it to the horizontal 'shelf'. The nice thing about the angle iron is it then gives you a nice vertical place to drill and bolt filler panels to bolt to maybe with speed holes in it or something. You could even go as far as bolting on a faux crankcase for the really vintage look. It may not be what your going for, but i figure more ideas are better, that's why Im on this forum!

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Thats the first step
!. figure out how high ? you want the engine.
2. center the engine (between down loop tube and seat post tube)
3.once you've configured steps 1&2 then make a determination on how big(circumfrance/round) the Faux crank/motor mount should be? remember to make the crank case with flat top to add actual mounting plates/angle iron later.
4. once you are comfortable with the lay out/design and looks then get to tack welding
5. either use flat plate or angle iron for motor mount to be welded to the front of down loop tube, top of faux crank case and seat post tube.
6. after everything else is complete then design the front mount brackets that get welded to the down loop tube,crank case,bottom bracket/crank cup.
7,then design front and engine mount brackets.
I'll send a diagram in a few but it will need your refinement, Imagine the faux crank case under the angle iron in the loop(of your frame) on the pic TattooMark just posted

Last edited: