finally building a BTR inspired motobike

GoldenMotor.com

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
2 last suggestions,,,,,,put a half rear fender not a quarter fender you'll be sorry later because of all the crud you'll kick up on the engine,bike and clothes.
Add front and rear engine mount plates (shiny aluminum) if that is your final on engine mount design,it really will make it look like part of the engine insted of a filler piece under it.

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
i beleive the final mount will be a tube welded from seat tube to the down tube with the mount plate on top. that black filler is still tentative. i like your idea for the front and rear engine mount plates. ill still have to find the aluminum pieces and design them to fit around the actual mount

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
One last design.
I don't mean to intrude on your build and design or desire's for your bike,you've done such a fine! job to this point, you have taken some advice and you've got this far already,you my friend are on your way to achieving an authentic period correct looking tribute bike, don't be to hasety with quick decisions and or half step anything including the design just because it might be easy at the time.
I love it when some one builds a proper running and asteticly beautiful bike thats where it becomes a real tribute.
Have fun (as I know you are!) and build the best you possibly can! perhaps this can shed a better light on the subect at hand (not so corny looking LOL!)

Attachments

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Don't forget the engine needs to be centered in the frame top to bottom front to back in order that the crank case looks centered with the engine, and take into consideration how far the carb comes back to the seat post tube.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Ok! so you've been back home for a week and we've been wondering what you have accomplished with the bike ?
I too have been gone then got back and got real busy so I haven't been able to mess with Jack, got to get him in powder coating room soon.

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
im waiting on maxvission to help me finish the frame, not much i can do without the frame lol. the downtube was crooked so we had to cut it off and make a new one, that whole process is is very time consuming without a professional grade tube bender. there are a few things i did on my own like got the handlebars straightened out and painted a nice high gloss color... etc hopefully we'll have the frame and the mount ready soon so i can start assembling it and putting on some of the details i have invisioned

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
here are some progress pics!!!

some inpiration pics:

and some actual progress pics:

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
I've been thinking about different forks because this 1 simply won't cut it for the look I'm going for, I'm trying to find a monark 2 fork for a decent price but if I can't find 1 I will go with the vintage truss rod style fork

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
ok so i ran into a major problem:

the sprocket adaptor arms are too thick to fit through the spoke gaps, so i spent all after noon manually filing them down until they fit, sanded the frame down and applied a coat of primer:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Nice! looking bike, a few pages into the Collectible bicycles on Ebay there is a set of vintage Monark forks starting bid $49.99 and 0 bids last time I checked.
Just thought you might ? want to know.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Sorry! to say they sold yesterday for $56.99 I don't know how to do the link-up thingy and again I'm sorry for giving false hope I'll do better in the future to give better ref's
Still E-bay has all kinds of catagories Antique Bicycles,Vintage Bicycles, Collectible Bicycles,Prewar bicycles and you can get some good deals.
I think those forks you have would look cool with truss rod and again the red bike thats always in the back groun photos has a nice set on them to configure a truss rod set up.