Fabricating a Fairing

GoldenMotor.com

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Good Evening All,

I have kicked around the idea of building my own metal fairing to go with my vintage looking bike. I finally decided to start o e and I will hopefully be finished before the next SoCal Motorized Bicycle Race in March.

I have been looking at a lot of pictures of vintage fairings, mostly from the 50’s - 70’s. I started out with some sketches, then moved onto a paper model of the frame I plan to make to then skin in thin sheet metal. After I got the rough dimensions in paper, I made a model of the frame with hanger wire. I have since moved onto making the actual frame with 1/2” x 1/8” metal strips.

I’ll post more photos as I get more done.

Thanks for looking,

Gilbert

Attachments

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
More photos, some of my bike with new clubman bars to fit the fairing. And some of the wire hanger frame

Attachments

CrazyDan

Apr 9, 2018
Yucaipa, CA
I've been bouncing around this same idea for quite a while as well. You can do a mockup with cardboard on that wire frame to test fitment before fully making the shroud. It should help a tad accelerating over 30 mph and allow for lower gear ratios for higher top speeds using the same hp as before. Will be watching this.

Reactions: fasteddy

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
And here’s some pictures of the actual frame. It’s going faster than I thought.

Sorry for the cluttered backgrounds in my pictures.

Attachments

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
"cluttered background" Looks like my place after i sold my lake place, and had to move it all here at home. LOL

Looks good so far, are you going with a windshield also?..................Curt

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Hi dogcatcher,

I considered using fiberglass, it’s what fairings are usually made of, lightweight and all. But it’s so messy, smelly, and ultimately would take me so much longer to build, plus my bike has a kind of bare metal theme going, so I figured a bare sheet metal look would work best. It’s gling to be pretty heavy though.

Gilbert

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
You might consider looking at this for the screen. I don't know if it's cast or extruded sheet you'd be using.

IMPORTANT: some perspex is hygroscopic, and the sheet may need a day or two airing in an oven of some sort around 70C. Check with the supplier for recommendations, see 1.2.1 in this link:

https://www.theplasticshop.co.uk/plastic_technical_data_sheets/perspex-design-guide.pdf

If you can work out what shape you want, you can even use self coloured acrylic capped ABS sections to form the fairing, and the ABS will almost definitely need drying if it's been stored.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Whatever you end up with, make sure it can't decapitate you in case of a crash.
Pretty sure that's why they don't make metal dustbin fairings anymore...
Do not be a bummer baird . . . .
The top part of the fairing is acrylic just like pretty much any motorcycle fairing.

ok -dustbin fairings that enclosed the front wheel were banned from race use in the late 50's (or early 60's), officially due to "safety" reasons, they can be odd in sidewinds.

Gilberts is not a dustbin fairing and really the same as Bill Keltons YSR fairing.

Last edited:

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Whatever you end up with, make sure it can't decapitate you in case of a crash. Pretty sure that's why they don't make metal dustbin fairings anymore...
That’s a really good point Baird. The upper frame arms (over the handlebars) do kind of look like twin katana blades. I will have to look into rolling the edges of the sheet metal with a large radius to make it less slicey. I also need to look into steering stops, I already squished my thumb on the gas tank holding the handlebars.
I’m pretty sure they outlawed dustbins due to crashes in crosswinds, kind of like a sail. I seriously considered making a dustbin though, they just look so cool.

Gilbert

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Dang Bto!!! That’s a sweet vintage bike, with the rear suspension and 4 speeds and everything. Too bad it’s 2 stroke, ha ha ha. But seriously, that’s a really nice find, I hope you get it on the road..

Had a set back on the fairing tonight,not enough clearance around the forks, have to re-do the lower frame ribs. Also need to make the light bezel stronger/thicker. It kind of holds the whole thing together, and with my bending and correcting the fit as o go, the bezel keeps getting distorted. I’m going to use 1/8” plate.

A little backwards progress, but I can see the final product a little better.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I did a moped race on a Fantic with a 4 speed Minarelli. It had 1,000,000 rpm and no power and would occasionally jam in 3rd, so you had to stop and rock it back and forth until the gear pedal moved again. The rearward weight bias meant you could drift the back end through the one right hander, I liked that part.

Dustbin fairings, another possible reason for crashes happening was the drum brakes of the time fading because of lack of cooling; this is of particular interest to a rider when he suddenly finds he has another 20mph available compared to before.